Pre trip freak out questions-thanks for putting up with me!

Travel discussion for St. John
obsessedmuch

Pre trip freak out questions-thanks for putting up with me!

Post by obsessedmuch »

Okay, so maybe it's just boredom or the fact that the weather is taking a dip in temp again this week but I think I'm in a little freak out stage since I'm something like 50 days out from my trip.

First, I want to say that all the people* and info here have been great! Despite having the following list of worries/fears, I am happy to say that you've all helped SO much in quelling the rest of my fears.

I mentioned in another thread that I've only been to St. John once before, and only for a day. Still, it was 1) enough to become obsessed with going back but 2) not enough to feel totally comfortable. So here are some of my worries and questions and maybe if anyone has time, they can help (more). Thanks in advance! :)

1- I'm staying in Coral Bay (found a great little place) and I'm worried about navigating around the island from there. I've got a couple map books and have read other guidebooks so I'm thinking it might be easier than I'm setting myself up for but still, freaking out a little. Do you think I need the Atlas?

2- Most of the reason I'm freaking out is that I'll be on the majority of my trip solo. This brings up a whole host of questions in my mind but I do a lot of solo traveling so I'm aware that if I am smart, I will be fine. Any tips for the solo traveler on STJ? I usually have no problem pulling up a stool and talking with who ever might be at the bar but maybe because this is a "new" place I'm just nervous?

3- Parking- my car is from St. John car rental so I guess I can use their lot if there's a spot. Still, I'm worried that I won't be able to find the right place or that it will begin to get dark and therefore, scary to walk to the car? Like I said, I won't put myself in a scary situation on purpose but it would be good to know ahead of time if there's a spot I ought to avoid.

4- Which brings me to this question: Should I just avoid driving to or from my villa in Coral Bay after dark altogether? Keep in mind, I won't drink and drive at all but still, who thinks this is too dangerous?

5- I'd like to take the ferry to JVD for the day. Some great posters (maybe here and another board) have said that you can take the earliest ferry to and the latest from and have a good 5 hours for the day. That sounds good to me. Another thing I've been told to do is just walk over to White Bay when getting off the ferry. I'm a distance runner so a walk is no problem but it would be nice to know a) how long the walk really is and b) if I'll be able to tell if I'm going in the right direction.

My gosh, I was going to post more about sailing questions but this seems like too much already. I THANK anyone who has any time to respond from the bottom of my heart. I'm SO excited for my trip and I always take the approach of the more you know, the more relaxed you'll be when you get there, which is what I know I will be!

*I'd also really like to say 'hi' to some of you while there so if you're going to be on the end of May first of June, PM me (my dates are on the calendar but I'm not sure it's safe to say when I'll be where). :)
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Hi
You don't need an atlas but I've been on STJ I thing 12 times and I still bought one they are cool it has satalite photos of aN area and the page next has a map with the roads marked out.

Feel free to drive around at night just take your time if your villa has a driveway that is hard to see you might want to mark it some way so you can find it at night.

The only place I'd avoid is lizards landing I'm 6' 230 and I wasn't comfortable there.

I have never parked in the rental car lots but I have a few places that are always open that I can park at.
Tom
Buddles

Post by Buddles »

I had a couple favorite parking spots in Cruz Bay. I loved parking in Slimman's lot. He was a true gentleman. The longer I talked with him, the lower my rate seemed to be. I always waved to him when I drove by. There are about ten spots near the National Park pier that are sometimes open. Also in the same area - facing the water with the ballfield to your right there is a road that goes behind the park service office. There is parking along that street. After five there is quite a bit of employee parking that opens up near the park service building. It does get pretty dark there at night. We brought a flashlight, but felt safe.

My concern would be driving at night along those seven miles of twisty road. I wouldn't want to do it.
Genral

Post by Genral »

Hi OM. Congratulations on your trip to Paradise. One thing to remember is that Paradise is not just the island - it's also the people. Everyone is very friendly and easy to talk to. As for your questions - Getting around on the island: there's only 3 main roads, Centerline, North Shore, and the road that goes from Coral Bay to Salt Pond. What you have now will be enough, but to go one better, get a copy of Feet Fins and Four Wheel Drive so you will be able to find the best beaches. Being single/eating out: I'd be eating at the bar in Skinny's, Shipwreck, and Island Blues. Again, people (espcially islanders) are very friendly, easy to talk to. Sometimes our fellow tourists are more standoffish - or maybe just timid. Parking: only a problem in Cruz Bay. All the places in Coral Bay have parking right in front or off to one side of the establishment. Driving after dark: only problem I see there is the danger from drunk tourists that forget to 'stay left' - but at least at night you can see the oncoming headlights and be fore warned. Trip to Jost: Sorry - we never went to JVD - villa gravity they call it. ;-) Anyways - don't worry, it is Paradise and (pardon the expression) it's ALL good. Genral
No matter where you go, there you are.
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Obsessy:

Where is your little place in Coral Bay? You may have to metally prepare yourself for some extreme driving. Definitely arrive before dark if at all possible. Your rental agent should expect to show you the way the first time.
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

:oops:
Last edited by Steve S on Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

There is absolutely no reason to be concerned.

My first trips to STJ were all by my lonesome and I have never felt safer-- at night, during the day, on the beach, on the road.

Of course, use your common sense and you'll be OK. But I have to say I felt perfectly safe and at ease in all situations on STJ-- even when I was bumping and grinding with some strange rasta at Duffy's. Total stranger- wanted me to dance. My hubby was in the boys room. He still laughs when he recalls that story.

Seriously, traveling solo gives you a lot of flexibility and you will have fun meeting the locals. Just go wherever the wind takes you and you'll be fine.

I'm just jealous that you've only got 50 days to go-- I'm at 8 months!
*Another fine scatterbrained production
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

You will have a great time and everyone here has given you great advice.

You will never be lonely on STJ, especially in Coral Bay. Grab a seat at the bar at Skinny's or Shipwreck and you will have friends in a few minutes.

Driving is not that bad and once you make the trip from Cruz Bay to Coral Bay and back you will be fine. It is very easy to get used to the drive.

Parking in Cruz Bay is not that hard, you just have to know where to look. You were given a few great suggestions. Just take a few trips around town and you will find a spot.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Oops almost forgot. We rent from STJ car rental also and have never had a problem finding a spot. They are just a block from the heart of Cruz Bay. Super convenient!

Oh, and the roads are like driving at Disney. Very simple. It's really tough to get lost. In fact, I think you'd have to really work at it!
*Another fine scatterbrained production
obsessedmuch

Post by obsessedmuch »

Thank you all, for reassuring me! You are too cool!

I know it's going to be a great trip, I just have to get the little freak outs out of the way first. :)
RickG

Post by RickG »

My first trips were solo and I had no problems meeting people. I really like to meet folks and hear their stories.

Driving at night is something you will get used to. Getting used to STJ driving is really the key. You won't be going fast than 20mph. Coral Bay has gotten better lit over the years even out towards Shipwreck Landing.

Good luck.

Cheers, RickG

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:52 am.
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI