Travel discussion for St. John
LauraD

Buck Island

Post by LauraD »

Are there any charters from STJ to Buck Island? Thanks, Laura
You must be the change you want to see in the world
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Hi Laura, are you talking about Buck Island, St. Croix? or Buck Island, St. Thomas? If you're talking about St. Thomas, check out "The Dancing Dolphin" catamaran, I know they take snorkel trips out there.

http://www.thedancingdolphin.com/
LauraD

Post by LauraD »

Buck Island, STX.
star2515

Post by star2515 »

I used the Jolly Roger to take a trip out to Buck Island. http://www.jollyrogervi.com/

I'd definatly use them again. They are a little smaller operation than some of the other charters, but that's why we chose them. They won't pack the people on like some other boats. Captain Mike is super, and his 2 person crew were great. They interacted with everyone and were fun as well as helpful. He doesn't do email, so you'll have to contact him by phone, but it was really easy and you can call him as much as you want with questions. We spent 45 min on the beach side of the island and snorkled for a hour and a half on the other side of the island on our trip.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

There are not any charters that will take you to Buck Island, STX from STJ. You would have to fly over to STX and take a charter from there,

let me rephrase that, there may be but I have never heard of one and I suspect that it would take forever to get there, it is around 35 nautical miles, so it would take 4 hours to get there?
LauraD

Post by LauraD »

That would be a long boat ride, but will contact Jolly Roger just out of curiosity.
I hear that Buck Island off of STT is a good place to bird watch, is it worth going over for that or can I see the same birds on STJ?
Thanks, Laura
khud

Post by khud »

We went out on 'Wave Dancer' with Captain JP Horan and 1st mate Jacqueline and had a wonderful time. 'Wave Dancer' is also a smaller charter and there was only one other couple. Buck Island was unlike any other snorkel and the beach on the other side was gorgeous.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Laura, I don't think I'd go specifically to buck island to watch birds....they're all over the place! Pelicans, Pearly Eye Thrashers, Bananaquits, Seagulls (watch your lunch!!), Egrets... all right on St. John! :D

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:34 am.