Bringing perfume home in carry-on bags

Travel discussion for St. John
kma27

Bringing perfume home in carry-on bags

Post by kma27 »

Hello all: We are leaving for STT on October 23 and going to use carry-on for the first time in our 10 years of visiting STT and got to wondering if I buy perfume to bring home to our daughters, will they let me bring it home in my carry-on luggage? I know that if I bought it at the airport I would be able to carry it on but don't particularly want to do that unless it is my only option. Thank you for any help you can give me.
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

It will be looked at like any other liquid. No more than 3.4oz and it must be in the quart ziplock bag (1 per person).
loria

Post by loria »

I think if you buy it in duty free at the airport they will hold it for you past security--right?
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

loria wrote:I think if you buy it in duty free at the airport they will hold it for you past security--right?
Yes, if you buy at the duty free shop in the airport you are already through security so you're good from there on but I haven't found the duty free shop prices all that great to tell you the truth and I can never find the fregrance that I'm looking for there.
Eric in NJ

Post by Eric in NJ »

You also have to take it out of the box before putting it in the ziplock... I know from experience :o)
Eric in NJ

You never know where you're going till you get there.
mricco

perfume

Post by mricco »

About 2 years ago we were going through customs in St Thomas (returning home) Luggage had been checked, my niece had a carry on with a jar of mango jam, purchased on St John. right away they pull her aside, she gets it out, security man takes it (she begs of course)to no avail and on she goes. We are sitting waiting to get on our flight and up he comes with the jam gives it back to her and she boards the flight. COOL HA? Well, another time we are layed over in Atlanta overnight, we leave for a hotel stay that night, ya right. We get there and no one in Atlanta has any rooms. So we go back to the airport. Bath and Body Works is have a sale, our daughter buys some things and proceeds to get enter our gate for the overnight stay. Everything she bought went in the garbage. So you never know, but I would not take a chance.
mricco
m ricco
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

Perhaps you could ship it home?
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

I agree. See if the shop where you buy it will ship it for you. Or at least ask then if they know whether it will make it through security. Why risk throwing your money away?
Pia

Post by Pia »

It will not make it through security unless it is out of the box/packaging, is under 3oz and in your one allowed quart size ziplock bag. I see it time after time perfume being thrown away at security along with sunblock, alcohol, liquid make-up, expensive moisturizer etc.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

what pia said. perfume over 3 oz is a security no no. as are all the other things she mentioned. i too have seen people have to dump some pretty expensive stuff. hubby even had to ditch his cigar punch which was shaped like a bullet. he was like, "what am i going to do? throw it at someone?"

security theater is a pita.
*Another fine scatterbrained production