spirit airlines

Travel discussion for St. John
nancyg

spirit airlines

Post by nancyg »

Hi Everyone,

I really need to get back to St John. I am trying to figure something out for late in april next year and Spirit has great rates from ohare through ft lauderdale. Question is we have never flown spirit air. So give me the good, bad and the ugly. Are they fine or should we stay away from them.

Thanks

Nancy
Bandit

Post by Bandit »

They low ball the fares and then tack on fees for everything else to the point you are usually better off with another airline.

By the time you travel, they may have fees for carry-on, assigned seats, if you book online, if you book at a Spirit Counter, if you use the potty, if you check bags, if you don't check bags, if you take a breath, if you sit in a seat, if you press any buttons, or if you read an airline magazine. And don't even think that they provide any kind of food. You have to bring your on. And if it's something the FA's (that's Flight Attendants for you once-a-year travelers)or the Pilot's like, you MUST share.
kristen1206

Post by kristen1206 »

I love Spirit. Great prices, new planes, good customer service, on time flights (based on the few times I have flown with them). I much prefer Spirit to Delta and USAirways!
Captain John

Post by Captain John »

What I like about Spirit is that for only $60 extra you can get a big, wide, comfortable seat with a ton of leg room in the front of the plane. Otherwise it's like any other airline, a flying bus.
Captain John

"I live the life I love and I love the life I live"
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

We have flown Spirit several times and yes you have to pay for a seat assingment IF you want one...and pay for checked bags IF you check one if it will fit under the seat infront its free..but..Even if I pay for a seat...and I pay for a checked bag...Its still cheaper in the long run for us...For instance...I have been checking the last cpl days for flights out of Myrtle Beach for us for April 2011, Right now they are at 227.00 leaving the 19th and returning the 27th. The flight out of Myrtle to Stt on the SAME dates on Delta is currently at 461.00 and on US Air is 471.00 a difference of at least 224.00. Thats a whole lot of checked bags and reserved seats. Or another ticket..however you wanna look at it...As far as the food. You do have to pay for drinks they offer or bring your own..the snacks..(pretzels and such)are free, but its not that long of a flight for us til the 1st leg to Ft Lauderdale..maybe an hr and 15 minutes and then about 2.5 or so on to STT..not a long time at all not really even enough time to worry about eating..As I said we have flown them several times and I have no problem flying them or recommending them. and will definelty fly them again...
[/url]
c3p1

Post by c3p1 »

We flew Spirit for the first time this summer.
As mentioned, yes if you want the upgrades, then there are add on charges. We did not do any of that (except paid for check baggage) and had no problems.
By the way, checked baggage on Spirit was cheaper than checking bags on some of the other airlines.
The round trip flight on Spirit was $180pp vs the cheapest I was finding through the other airlines was $480pp. I would easily fly them again, especially at that savings! There are no thrills and we knew that and it was totally fine.
All flight attendants and folks we came in contact with were pleasant and friendly.
I say give it a try!
Good luck!
Captain John

Post by Captain John »

I forgot to mention that the ticket prices are very reasonable and all of the employees are very nice.
Captain John

"I live the life I love and I love the life I live"
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

The main complaint I have seen on this forum is that if you have to cancel or change your flight or make any adjustment to your itinerary at all, you are pretty much screwed and can kiss that $$$ goodbye.

I've also seen complaints about a lack of any customer service after the sale. IOW don't expect to pick up the phone and get a person if you need one.

However, for those folks that book a ticket and don't need any extra attention the results seem fine.

Just make sure you are calculatig the TRUE costs by estimating baggage fees and any other fees associated with services that you will need while flying, etc.

Interesting feedback on Spirit at Yelp: http://www.yelp.com/biz/spirit-airlines-miramar
*Another fine scatterbrained production
nancyg

Post by nancyg »

thanks everyone for your input. Still trying to make a late april trip work.
17th Hole

Post by 17th Hole »

We flew them for the first time out of Detroit this past June. Nightmare. Hated it. Never do it again. The only problem for us was that we ended up getting two $100 vouchers for a 2-1/2 hour delay we suffered through sitting on the plane waiting for them to fix a clogged toilet (they ended up not fixing it). Flight didn't land back in Detroit until 3:30 am. Ugh.

Then we got another $50 credit for stolen items from my checked luggage. Someone stole $92 worth of STJ souvenirs but I only had receipts for $42 of it. (Little tip: Examine your checked luggage carefully the second you pull it off the luggage carousel. If anything is missing, report it immediately - even if it's 3:30 am and no one is around.) So after about 2 months worth of headaches trying to get them to admit items were stolen and it was their responsibility, they finally sent me a check for $42 and gave me a flight voucher for the other $50. Now, I have to decide if it's worth flying them again even at a $250 discount. Sort of leaning towards "nope".

As far as the plane - it was disgusting and filthy - and I'm not a neat freak or germaphobe by any means. It was really bad. I don't think it had been cleaned in a week.
A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

jake

Post by jake »

Flew Spirit to STT this year for first and last time. (Washington - FLL-STT)
Add on charges equalized price to equivalent airline cost, and parking at Reagan was high.
More ominous were numerous flight delays due to mechanical issues; rebooting computer, changing aircraft, arrived STT 2 hours late after everything closed and we needed to taxi instead of picking up rental car ($80, Spirit refused the claim for reiombursement.)
Cost is one thing; adequate maintenance is another.
My opinion? If it works for you, go for it...but it did NOT turn out to be a lower cost for us.
Jake
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

We flew to STT from O'Hare last year through FLL and will never do it again. I have flown quite a bit and have never sworn off any other airline.

First, they nickel and dime you to death. I didn't know until I had already purchased our tickets that if I wanted to sit with my husband on the plane, there would be an extra charge for seat assignments. With all the fees they tack on at the end it ended up not being a better deal than the other flights I was looking at, United/American/Delta, I don't remember which.

Also, they dump you in the international terminal at FLL, which was way too small and crowded, and it was like that both coming and going, so it wasn't just a fluke. There weren't enough seats for all the passengers from the various flights, and there was very little by way of services (food, etc.) so the lines were extremely long (like waiting 45 minutes long). And since it was the international terminal it's not like you could leave.

If I got the tickets for free, I might fly with them again, but otherwise, they aren't even an option as far as I'm concerned.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

We paid 25 to check a bag. We also paid 8 each for a seat ( there were less expensive and more expensive ).
This is a current list that was published July 14th 2010 on Expedia's website and what each carrier charges for seats and baggage fees.
http://www.expedia.com/daily/flights/airline-fees.asp
As for delays I havent been delayed with them. Maybe we have been lucky and had the on time gods with us. But from the reports I read it happens with all airlines..NOT just Spirit. I have been delayed with US Air and Continental and Delta, it happens with all the airlines everyone has had good and bad with all them...(As a side note)...The only time we had an issue with them..we were scheduled to fly during the strike in June and of course our flights were cancelled. They gave us each a 100.00 credit, a full refund..and also gave us each 20K bonus miles enough for a round trip ticket.
The terminal is crowded when you 1st land in Ft Lauderdale..but usually clears in just a few minutes and there is plenty of time for lunch if you so wish..The options arent alot and you wont find 4 star dining..there is a Nathans..a doughnut place..and a few other vendors..but we always have time to eat...(if we want)..people watch or just cat nap..it not like your going to be there all day..just a cpl hrs...Im sure no one has starved yet...Hubby says add.. hes never seen a skeleton in the corner or on the plane that has passed from not eating :lol: ...lol Good Luck with whatever you decide..:)
[/url]
NCSue

Post by NCSue »

We flew them in July and won't do it again. We typically drive to Charlotte to catch that WONDERFUL US Air flight - non stop into STT. So we figured driving to Myrtle - no biggee. I love the Myrtle airport - small and really very nice. The trip started out great (JUST after the strike ended) with curbside being WONDERFUL and the flights were perfect. The return trip was far less than pleasurable. We sat at the gate for over an hour with doors open and VERY hot - in STT - waiting for the flight plan to be faxed / emailed / whatever to the crew. VERY frustrating. One would have thought - hey- how about a free bottle or glass of water since we made you wait. NOPE - still charged for the water. Finally in the air - the crew was SO incredibly rude. Now - that can happen on any airline so I don't hold that against Spirit. In order to make as much money as possible - I think they add about 4 rows into the airplane. Both my hubby and son are tall and broad - they were miserable the whole time. To make matters worse - by the time we added luggage fees and seat assignments for 5 - our US Air flight was really not that much more. I'll wait it out next time and stick with the larger airlines. But again - if it works for you....go for it!
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I am cheap so normally I would fly Spirit but for one thing:

I don't mind having to pay for a drink, if the flight price saves me a few hundred.
I never eat on a plane, unless I am in first class.
We always pack sandwiches and snacks.
We travel light, so if I needed to pay for a bag, no big deal since we can go with one bag for the 2 of us for a week.
Here is the reason I will not fly Spirit:

The seat assigment charge. If I am paying for 2 tickets, I want 2 seats, NEXT to each other. I think that is insane to have to pay to sit with your travel companion.