Kon Tiki?

Travel discussion for St. John
parafins

Kon Tiki?

Post by parafins »

Has anyone tried the Kon Tiki Party Raft out of S.T.T.? I can't find a web site or much info on the boat.I think I've spotted it out on the water in my past trips, and it looked like it would be enjoyable cruz. Parafins
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
hugo

Post by hugo »

I THINK you're about 25 years too late--there was a party raft / boat named Kon Tiki in St. Thomas in the 80s, maybe up to as late as early 1990s...can't say for sure when it disappeared, probably with either Hugo or Marilyn.
parafins

thanks...

Post by parafins »

Thanks Hugo. I guess i'm always living in the past.Sometimes not such a bad thing... :D Parafins
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I actually remember seeing the Kon Tiki on our first trip to St. John (2003). We were having lunch at Bumpas and saw it tooling around in the CA harbour. We were both wondering what the heck the point of it was! It was just this big brown raft with a wood top that had palm fronds hanging from the sides of the top and "Kon Tiki" painted on the roof. It didn't look like much, that's for sure!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
hugo

Post by hugo »

I seem to be wrong, in that they did replace the raft in the past 10 years, but maybe they only operate through agreements with the cruise ships? Always looked like my idea of hell, with really bad loud music and very drunk cruise ship passengers...
parafins

Post by parafins »

hugo wrote:I seem to be wrong, in that they did replace the raft in the past 10 years, but maybe they only operate through agreements with the cruise ships? Always looked like my idea of hell, with really bad loud music and very drunk cruise ship passengers...
Hugo,I really like you.Thanks to all your responses!Maybe we can meet up on my next trip down. Parafins
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
captainjay

Post by captainjay »

Actually the Kon Tiki will soon be back. It is owned by Cruise Ship excursions Inc. The same people that own the two Castaway Girl Cats. They have spent a small fortune refitting the boat. It recently did a wedding party for some friends of theirs. They are awaiting final Coast Guard approval on the refit and will be putting it back in service.
Jay