Best way to clean ...

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
mahojim

Best way to clean ...

Post by mahojim »

Ok, folks. We've all been there. :? :oops:
What's the best way to clean a baseball type cap that's been abused by sweat stains from the heat on the beach?
Thanks, and always
Smiles-
MJ
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

I've had huge success washing them in the dishwasher. Do you have one? Put it on the top rack and let'er rip.

If it's heavily soiled, soak it in a bucket of very warm water and a big scoop of OxiClean, then hit it with the dishwasher.

No dishwasher? Soak it in the OxiClean. Change it out once if it's still dirty, then rinse it out with plain cold water. The OxiClean works well for getting out the "smell" too. My runner friend soaks all of his running gear in OxiClean to get out sweat stains and odor.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Dig it, Julie.
Amy & I have tried the dishwasher thing more than a time or twelve. No dice.
I'll give the Oxy-Clean method a whirl; thanks!
Hope to see you & yours next May.
Yes, we have, officially, 256 days 'til our next visit to STJ. 10 days this time, though! :wink:
If you could PM me the info about where to mail a check for the animals, I'd love to help.
Smiles-
MJ
KPlumm

Post by KPlumm »

I just throw my families ball caps in the washing machine along with everything else, but I don' put them in the dryer. Just reshape and hang on a door knob or place on top of large jug, or just set on a flat surface. They come clean and none have been ruined.
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

Just a word about the OxiClean soak.... You might have to do it for a couple of days. We are addicted to OxiClean around my house. A 9 year old son, a hard working husband, two big ol' dogs. You must really love your hat!

If you want to send a check to the ACC you can send it to:

ACC of ST JOHN
PO BOX 429
ST JOHN, VI 00831-0429

You can also donate right online, http://www.stjohnanimalcarecenter.com/help.html
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

Jim...send me your Man Card immediately.

One does not wash a worn-in hat. It will NEVER return to the fit that hours of wearing in hot sweaty weather achieved. If anything, while wearing it, dump water on yourself. The hat will seep out some primordial ooze, but you should never clean it.

Just put on a dress and get it over with.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Pip-
That's the funniest thing I've read since RickG busted my stones for my "girly" Olympus underwater camera.
Are you two related, or just sleeping together?-Both?...groovy... :shock:
You're right, though. I'll just slide into my water-wings/floaties & snorkel gear, toss my grimy Beach Bar hat on, get in the tub and take a few underwater shots with my Stylus for y'all to share.
It'll be an internet sensation.
Smiles-
MJ
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Julie - We use Oxyboost, which is like Oxyclean but without the fillers, a more pure version, so to speak -

http://www.oxyboost.com/products/oxy_boost.html

It has changed my laundry life. (how sad, when did I get old enough to get excited by laundry products)
michigancouple

Post by michigancouple »

The best step to get a clean Beach Bar hat is to hang the dirty hat up in your home in a very special place and then book tickets to STJ and buy a new one at the Beach Bar. :D
irbgolfin

Post by irbgolfin »

What I do (OK, my wife does :-) )

Washing machine, gentle cycle, then wad up a piece of newspaper for shaping and set on a drying rack.

I have numerous ball caps, and always wear one working outside to avoid sweat dripping on the glasses (and avoid sunburning the noggin which still has some hair, albeit less than days gone by). We usually wash them every few years whether they need it or not ;-)

Pip - worn in is one thing, stinky beyond belief is another, trust me on this, there comes a time where it's wash it or throw it out, I choose to wash some of my favs... :-)
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

irb-
Right on.
Thanks. That's where I'm at.
I just want to take care of my STJ keepsake caps, and hate ruining the way they fit after I clean them.
My Sweetie tried the dishwasher method, and it ruined more than a lid, or two.
No big deal, really; like there's a problem getting a new one!!!
I'm still thinking about making the bathtub video though... :roll:
Smiles-
MJ
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

PA Girl, yeah right? Not sure when I started to get all excited about cleaning products, but it's happened to me too. :cry: I also have an unhealthy obsession with As Seen on TV stuff!

Thanks for the tip! I am going to have to keep an eye out for it down here. Even if I can find someone online to ship it here, via USPS, to a PO Box, it would probably at least double the cost of it. I know that Paradise Lumber has an Oxi type cleaner available. I'll have to see if it is this one. Right now, I can order a big tub of OxiClean off of CVS.com and it will ship for next to nothing.
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

irbgolfin wrote:Pip - worn in is one thing, stinky beyond belief is another, trust me on this, there comes a time where it's wash it or throw it out, I choose to wash some of my favs... :-)
I shall never concede my point. I have a hat that I wore to mow lawns every day in 1992. I still have not washed it. To do so would be a dishonor to my sweat.

I gots me some mad-funky hats!
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Pip-
You're freakin' hysterical.
Rock on with your mad-funky hats!
I still gotta' clean mine. It doesn't smell, just looks kinda' nasty.
I'm sure I'll funk it up again,-more sweat where THAT came from.
This post has surely taken a strange turn.
Smiles-
MJ