Night snorkeling?

Travel discussion for St. John
laxcat

Night snorkeling?

Post by laxcat »

How does one go about this and is it a good idea?

This will be our 4th trip to STJ and I have wanted to do it ever since I read a post about it on here which I am now having trouble finding. Hubby is not so keen on the idea and has thwarted my plans the last 3 times, but this time I really want to try. I have an underwater flashlight and glowsticks because I think I read you should have those things? Glowsticks to rubberband to your snorkel so your group can see you I think.

I think the full moon will help, yes? ALso which beach is best? Is it safe to be out on the beach at night? Anyone with experience please advise. I want to talk hubby into it this trip!

We will be on island next week bringing our 11 month old for the first time (also with grandma and auntie to help watch him!!). So while I would normally research this myself I have like zero time to do it and I have been researching the more important stuff like traveling to STJ with the kid!

Thanks so much for any help!!
deejayjay

Post by deejayjay »

We planned to do this last year. So far our only trip that coincided with a full moon, which I've heard is essential. Brought waterproof flashlights to use in the water. Also told that was essential. And a light stick to leave on shore so we could find our way back to where we started. All that being said, . . . I found the ocean just way too darn scary after dark, (even with the above preparations all made,) to venture a toe into the water. Maybe if you're from a coastal area and used to nighttime ocean it wouldn't be so scary, but, from Kansas, give me a nighttime wheat field any day. That ocean is spooky at night. Sorry, I guess that's not much help.
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

I'm with you deejay....and I live on the coast!
2muchsnow

Post by 2muchsnow »

Creeps me out thinking about it. Might have more to worry about from the Mossies and the no-see-ums running around on the beach at night, than anything in the water.

Be sure to post your resulting experience if it happens.
Read some spooky stories about cinnamon beach at night somewhere, so that wouldn't be my first choice. Waterlemon maybe if you were moored on a sailboat right there. Not sure about the walk in at night. Hawksnest maybe?

Good luck!
dctac

Post by dctac »

I'd go for it...I know night dives are pretty common... I think if you can get 3 or 4 in the water it would help keep the boogyfish away..Night brings out alot of cool stuff....
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

I am too much of a chicken to do it by myself. I swear that ecotours offered it on the Coral Bay side but I looked on their website and didn't see it. It is offered on STT.

xoxo
Nanque

Post by Nanque »

We have done this a couple of times. Definitely only go with a full moon or close. Tried once without and got spooked. We go to Maho, bring only essentials. (Towels and snorkels, fins and lights.) We go just after sunset, so we can see where we are going. Snorkel out right side, it gets dark quickly and you can still see different things. Give it a try.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I like hawknest for this yes you need some type of light on shore so you know where to come ashore. It is cool total different world at night
Tom
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

We have done it three times. Twice on a trip with a full moon and once without. All were fine. I found the full moon helped mainly for when we were out of the water.

We used the glow sticks to know where the beach and our stuff was. I used a head lamp to walk with as our dive lights were the type that you could only use under the water or they would burn up. I used it in the water the first time, but the little tiny fish were attracted to it and wouldn't get out of my face.

We did Maho twice (once each trip) and Hawksnest once. Maho was the easiest as far as being right there and knowing that right side from so many snorkels. Plus, when I was getting too creeped out, I was able to go back and sit in the water while the others continued on.

For Hawksnest, we did the right side around to Gibney and then the middle. The middle was a little bit more scary as far as not knowing the terrain as much.

It was fun and scary each time. we saw lots of lobsters and brine shrimp and a sleeping turtle. A stingray seemed to be attracted to my light as it was actually following me...that scared me. Didn't see any sharks (phew). The hardest part is getting the group motivated to go do it and getting back in the car without the bugs attacking you.

Have fun!
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
jofus

Post by jofus »

i'm staying at Cinn. Bay camp the first week of Nov.
I'm determined to do a night snorkle( there will be no moon at that time). Hubby and I are both certified divers. This will be our 6th trip to STJ and we've never gotten out selves out of the villa at night to do a snork but since we're staying right on the beach this time i feel it has to be done. If any adventurous souls would like to join us pm me. For a night excursion like this i figure the more the merrier, or safety in numbers. Both would apply in this situation.
parafins

night snorkel...

Post by parafins »

Look for my posts and trip report from 2007.I think I titled it "The Night Snorkeler" One of the best things I did,was trying night snorkeling.I Love it!! Pick a beach during the day-let's say Maho near the goat trail.Get familiar with the reef/rock shore layout.Then that night try it out.I like this area because you snorkel over mostly sand.Sorry That I can't post more now,for my work break at work is about over. :D Parafins
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
laxcat

Post by laxcat »

Thanks for all the replies! SO helpful and hopefully enough ammo to convince hubby to go with me into the water or maybe my sister!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I think the right side of Maho would be the easiest and safest choice. John and I had planned to do the right side of Caneel this past trip, but the water conditions were bad because of all the rains...next time.

When we were at La Jolla Caribe in April, we watched from our deck as some people night snorkeled at Cinnamon--they went out to and almost all the way around the Cay. No way would I do that!!

I have been scuba diving at night and it is amazing how different it is from daytime--lots of things out and about that you don't see in daylight.

I believe there is a guided night snorkel tour offered out of Maho Bay camps.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Connie

Post by Connie »

We chickened out on our night snorkel.

On STT at Hull Bay, there is

http://www.nightsnorkel.com/nightsnorkel.html

I don't think I'd ever do it with just my husband and myself, but I think it helps if you have somebody with you that knows what they're doing.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Mr. Gromit and Mr. Flip Flop have done night dives together on a couple of occasions and really enjoy what they have seen at night -- lots of different stuff according to them.

As others have mentioned, this is probably not for the novice.

Know the area, provide some way to orient yourself back to shore, bring waterproof flashlights and wear bug spray.

Also, would be a good idea to let someone else know that you're going and where you'll be if possible and have a BUDDY with you at all times.

In terms of safety, those concerns are mostly for IN the water. Out of the water shouldn't be a concern but don't leave anything you wouldn't want to lose unattended just in case. It's likely that no one would bother anything but I always exercise this caution whether I am on vacay or at home.
*Another fine scatterbrained production