Bravissimo Sopra Mare

Travel discussion for St. John
mia

Bravissimo Sopra Mare

Post by mia »

A few years ago Mike Mullen started a contest on this forum to name the villa he was building on St. John. He asked for an Italian name; and offered a free week at his brand new villa to the winner. Needless to say, the response was overwhelming. Then for whatever reason the contest was banned and pulled off the forum. I had completely forgotten about it until I was contacted by Mike to let me know that he had used my name....Sopra Mare; he wanted to know when I would like my free week. I was absolutely amazed and truly impressed that Mike had stood behind his promise. He offered me any week during the off season.
My husband and I spent a sensational week at Sopra Mare, a lovely and welcoming villa. We were treated as paying guests; Viva met us at the dock and there was even a welcome basket in the refrigerator. We have stayed at several villas over the years; Sopra Mare turned out to be one of our most enjoyable stays.
This villa is situated on a cliff, above crashing waves and incredible views; Sopra Mare which means "above the sea" was the perfect name for the villa. :wink:
The breezes were heavenly and kept away any problem with bugs...even noseeums and mosquitoes. The floor to ceiling wall of glass doors in the living room and master bedroom were divine, bringing the smell, the sound and the feel of the ocean inside.
I asked Mike if he was okay with me posting about our stay; he said "No problem as long as you are truthful." So I tried to come up with a few negatives; the pool is on the small side but was perfect for just the two of us. The breeze knocked over the lamp one night. :shock: Villa gravity might end up being a problem for some. If anyone is staying at or thinking about staying at Sopra Mare please feel free to contact me. We would love to stay there again as paying guests......mia
It takes both the sun and the rain to make a beautiful rainbow. --Unknown
lprof

Post by lprof »

So very glad that you had such a wonderful stay...

It sounds as though the name you chose for the villa was quite fitting. Congratulations!

Mike is to be commended for following through with his promises... always nice to hear of happy endings.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
Nancie-Pa

Post Subject

Post by Nancie-Pa »

Congrats to you Mia! Sounds like a great place...I'll have to look it up.

And three cheers to you Mike, for being an honest man. May this villa be a rewarding endeavor for you.

IslandNana (Nancie-Pa)
Friends, they go away then they re-appear...I believe there is Magic here.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Wow, that's great...I had remembered it as being a reduced rate, not a free week.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

I took a quick look at the description and pictures on VIVA's site. Looks really nice with a great balcony off the master bedroom. I like the floorplan too (love when those are included): inside access to the 2 bedrooms upstairs -- nice for families with kids. This one is going onto "the list."

Can you tell us how the glass walls worked? Are there screens, or did you not need them due to the breezes?

Thanks for posting!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

That's awesome Mia! Thanks for posting about the villa, it sounds fabulous! :D