Food around Marriott on STT

Travel discussion for St. John
Gromit

Food around Marriott on STT

Post by Gromit »

I'm not a huge fan of hotel food in any form. But curious about anyone who has stayed at Frenchmans Reef and sought out sustenance.

We won't have a car and don't need to go far.

What's nearby that is worthwhile or am I just going to have to suck it up and get a taxi?
*Another fine scatterbrained production
STTlover

Post by STTlover »

There a quite a few places w/in a short taxi ride:
http://www.mimsseasidebistro.vi
http://www.hooklineandsinkervi.com/

In town there is Gladys Cafe and Room with a View.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Been to Hook Line and Sinker (ate there last December) food was OK.

I'll have to check the other spot out.

From what I'm reading on line it looks like nothing w/in walking distance.

MAybe we'll just suck it up our first night and grab something at the bar downstairs.

I gotta tell you thr reviews on TA for this hotel are HARSH. Tons of complaints.

Not sure what to expect. We used points so it's essentially free for us to stay and it's only one night so I can suck just about anything up for one night but judging by the reviews THAT might even be tough to do.

Ugh!
sapphirecat

Post by sapphirecat »

Gromit, isn't this where Havana Blue is? People seem to like it. 8)
STTlover

Post by STTlover »

Mims is right down the road (taxi ride) and is the place to go for lobster on STT.

I'm not familiar w/ Frenchmans reef and their amenities, but they may have a shuttle available to get you there and back.

Yes Havana Blue is right there. A little swankier, but fantastic.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Havana Blue and CoCo Joes seem to be among the better choices for what I can tell.

I'm thinking after a long travel day we may just hit one of these at the hotel. From what I can tell are reasonable and casual.

We have NEVER stayed at a hotel on STT or STJ (always at either a friends place on STT or at private villas on STJ or on the boat) so this is a FIRST for me.

I need newbie guidance! :lol:
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Gromit---I love Havana Blue---doesn't feel like a hotel restaurant at all. You could also take a short cab ride to Yacht Haven Grande and re-enact the late night dance scene from RHNYC at the Fat Turtle.

Overall, I think the Marriott is fine---just a little overpriced, and slightly dated. Since you're using points, it shouldn't be an issue. I also think the Marriott customers are unusually harsh in their reviews---they expect the Marriott in St. Thomas to have the identical standards as the Marriott in Newport Beach. A lot of the reviewers just don't seem to get the Virgin Islands.
---Jim
sapphirecat

Post by sapphirecat »

STT, is Mim's really good? I was unhappy at the Bolongo Bay place, just as a point of reference. Thanks!
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

@iowaguy- thanks for the reassurance. When I read those reviews I generally try to find a middle ground but there doesn't seem to be much of one -- even in the more recent ones.

I also appreciate your thoughts about Havana Blue-- if you travel at all you know what I mean about most hotel restaurants-- it's the same stuff dressed up differently on a different plate usually. So I am always wary. So I appreciate the honest assessment.

I don't feel the need to go all out for our first night of vacay. I just don't want a miserable, overpriced, bland experience either.
sapphirecat

Post by sapphirecat »

Gromit, you're not far from Yacht Haven Grande. It's closer than Town. They have 3 restaurants to choose from. I only had breakfast at Wikkid, but it was really good! And the people were nice. We had dinner 2x at Grand Cru and it was very good, really fresh. Again, good service. Haven't eaten at Fat Turtle, but people like that. Out of those Grande Cru is the pricey one ( but it's nice on their landing over the water). Fat Turtle has pizzas and such. Any one would be good.
STTlover

Post by STTlover »

Sapphirecat, yes Mim's is delish. View is gorgeous too. I'm not a big fan of any of the bolongo restaurants either.
sapphirecat

Post by sapphirecat »

STTlover wrote:Sapphirecat, yes Mim's is delish. View is gorgeous too. I'm not a big fan of any of the bolongo restaurants either.
Ah! Perfect! It's going into the Things To Do book. Thank you :wink:
dctac

Post by dctac »

Try Craig and Sallys in french town if you do the taxi thing....We first went last year and were really impressed. Even the bottles of wine were reasonable.You do want reservations as alot of locals go there ......

Havana blue is super $$$ but excellent. Go for happy hour , sit at the bar for sunset, they have half price apps and drink specials, we normally get 4 or 5 apps to share and is fine for dinner....ALso in the guide book you see everywhere there should be a 10% coupon.
djmom

Post by djmom »

Agree about harsh trip reports. We went on points to a property in Maui. From the trip advisor reports I expected it to be a dump. When we got there I was blown away. OK, it wasn't the Ritz but it was very very nice and the service couldn't have been better.

I think on those trip advisor forums the people that have complaints are just more likely to post than the ones that are happy.

Plus I think there are a lot of people who look for the negative and let one little thing ruin their vacation.

I bet it will be just fine.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Even closer than the Yacht Haven is the Havensite area --
Delly Deck - great breakfasts
Shipwreck - good food great burgers
Pizza Amore - top notch pizza joint
Beni Iguana - the sushi place on that side of town
Hooters - chain
Wendys - chain
Yacht Haven has 3 restaurants during season
Charlotte Amalie really isn't that much of a trip either and Frenchtown has a plethora of restaurants within walking distance.
Get off property!!