Grand Cayman Trip Review for 7/4-7/10/10

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
SusanNJ

Grand Cayman Trip Review for 7/4-7/10/10

Post by SusanNJ »

My husband and I just returned from a great vacation on Grand Cayman. We stayed at the Westin which we were pleasantly pleased with our stay. This was my husband's first time on the island and I was there about 25 years ago when I was 10!

Here are some highlights:

Cimboco for breakfast - was our favorite! Much better then Eats

The Cracked Conch was very good and sat outside.

Kaibo Beach BBQ - enjoyed the band but the food was just okay. Be sure to bring bug spray - as soon as the sun went down the mosquitos came out.

The Red Sail Sports free cat to Rum Point Restaurant - this was a great sail and had a wonderful dinner at the restaurant. Great service!

Other restaurants that we enjoyed: The Reef Grill, Sunshine Grill (loved the mahi mahi tacos), and Calypso Grill.

For the Stingray City tour we went with Captain Dexter. Great tour! He was very knowledgeable and easy going. I would definitely go out with him again.

We rented a car at the airport through Avis and returned it the day before we left and took a taxi back to the airport. Just be sure when you drive, stay left and yield to the right at the round abouts.

Also we noticed that the airport definitely needs to expand. When we arrived we had to wait over 30 min. just to get through customs! Not a great way to start your vacation.

While we both had a great time and thought that Seven Mile Beach was beautiful and the island itself is very easy to get around, we still find St. John to be our favorite :)

If you have any questions, i will be happy to respond! - Susan

Here are some pics:
http://travel.webshots.com/album/578154775QWtGlI
Connie

Post by Connie »

Thanks for that trip report. We like Grand Cayman, but it's another flat Island and once you find the BVI's or USVI's, you're hooked.

Captain Dexter took us 10 years ago on his trip to Stingray Island. Scarey at first, but really a neat thing to see and do.

p.s. I was the one holding the bait and I ended up with a hickey on my shoulder :o)
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Susan, glad you had a good time! When I went 3 years ago we stayed in a condo at Rum Point and never did get to 7 Mile Beach. We drove past all those hotels one evening but it was getting dark and we needed to get back to Rum Point. The restaurant (other than the snack bar) at Rum Point was closed when we were there, it's good to know it's open again. We also ate dinner at Kaibo, and like you, thought it was just ok. LOVED LOVED Stingray City! I'd go back to GC just to go feed the rays again!!! Did you get out to the east end? We loved it out there.

Thanks for the report! :D
shelli0001

Post by shelli0001 »

nice pics, that stingray city is on my wishlist for someday. are they slimey?
California Girl

shelli, they're not slimy at all. They're like a dolphin, they sort of feel like touching a wetsuit. And you can hand-feed them and their little teeth feel like the teeth on a comb. I think it's an experience everyone should have in their lifetime. The best part is that they're WILD, not in captivity. :D
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Thanks for the report Susan!

We have considered the Westin on Grand Cayman. Can you give more info on the hotel like what kind of room you had and likes/dislikes of the resort itself?

Sounds like you got all over the island . I will bookmark the report to refer back to it if we actually make it there. Good to hear driving around was comfortable.

We were on Grand Cayman a couple years ago but only for a day. We took a snorkeling trip and then a nice boat ride along 7 mile beach so we have an idea of where the Westin is and are aware of the flat island. I can't remember where we went snorkeling ?! We opted to snorkel rather than go to Stingray City but I would definitely go there in another visit.

If you prefer to PM me thats cool. I'd appreciate any insight, especially into the Westin itself.

Carolyn
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

To California Girl, unfortunately we never made it over to the East End. We did drive out everyday but just felt like it was a far drive and just saw that water and wanted to stay put on the beach.

To Carolyn - we were very happy with the Westin. We felt the service was better then our previous experiences at the Westin in St. John. Our room was on the 3rd floor and overlooked the pool and beach area. It was a bit noisy when you were on the balcony but great people watching :shock:

If you prefer a quieter room, I would suggest the rooms on the end towards their Casa Havana restaurant. Our room was clean and had no problems - we had maid service everyday and turn down service every night. You do have to rent and pay for snorkeling equipment.

We never really ate at the Westin so can't really comment on the food. Our last morning we did eat at their restaurant for breakfast which was a buffet. I myself am not a big eater so for $15CI I would prefer to have a regular breakfast for half that price. The food though was pretty good.
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Thanks Susan!

I will continue researching to see if we can make GC work for us. Good to know The Westin met your needs. Anytime we stay at a Westin we would normally not use their restaurants either. Glad you commented on the ones you did like. I appreciate the info!
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

The one thing though we did like vs. St. John was the fact when you went to eat at the restaurants you could "flush" the toilet no matter if it was 1 or 2 :lol:
California Girl

SusanNJ wrote:To California Girl, unfortunately we never made it over to the East End. We did drive out everyday but just felt like it was a far drive and just saw that water and wanted to stay put on the beach.
I can't say I blame you! Grand Cayman has the most beautiful water I've ever seen! I think it may even be more gorgeous than STJ... and that's sayin' something! :D

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:27 pm.