Dominica?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Jorge

Dominica?

Post by Jorge »

Does anybody have any good info on Dominica for a first timer?
augie

Re: Dominica?

Post by augie »

Jorge wrote:Does anybody have any good info on Dominica for a first timer?
Here's a good place to start;

http://www.natureislanddive.com/index.html

I dove with them on a cruise ship stop, but I took a look around, and would love to stay nearby and make a week of it!
Come see us!
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Sorry nothing specifc, but I worked with a woman from there and she always described it as paradise!
toni

Post by toni »

We did whale watching there while on a cruise stop, used anchorage tours. The cruise was in march and we saw several whales. They did a great job finding them.
Jorge

Post by Jorge »

Thanks everyone. I'll be goggling it to death. Time for a change.
DaveS007

Post by DaveS007 »

I don't have anything specific, but I am going there next spring. I'll let you know what I find out.
equineannie

Dominica

Post by equineannie »

Lovely, quiet, green island. It is very low key, most things to do are outside things: beautiful beaches, pristine water, small population. Enjoy, its a lovely island with lovely people.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

I have been going there since 1979, and was there last in 2006 -- it is constantly getting more modern, as is all the down island world really, but is a natural and lush, very large island - waterfalls, rivers , lakes and water in every valley. Roseau is a walking town - has good local foods and the people are uncommonly friendly all over the whole island.
The beaches are OK - some black sand - there is some excellent diving off the West end particularly - a resident whale pod, the mountain hiking and interior destinations are truly amazing.
Portsmouth has a medical school so there is some younger international influence there.
There is a large Carib Reservation in the mountains that I always visit.
There are some nature preserve type lodgings that are interesting compared to the typical island vacation.
Well worth a visit for a week or 2.
Jorge

Post by Jorge »

Exit Zero wrote:I have been going there since 1979, and was there last in 2006 -- it is constantly getting more modern, as is all the down island world really, but is a natural and lush, very large island - waterfalls, rivers , lakes and water in every valley. Roseau is a walking town - has good local foods and the people are uncommonly friendly all over the whole island.
The beaches are OK - some black sand - there is some excellent diving off the West end particularly - a resident whale pod, the mountain hiking and interior destinations are truly amazing.
Portsmouth has a medical school so there is some younger international influence there.
There is a large Carib Reservation in the mountains that I always visit.
There are some nature preserve type lodgings that are interesting compared to the typical island vacation.
Well worth a visit for a week or 2.

Thanks EZ. One question if you don't mind. How were the bugs and snakes. Being that lush sounds nice, just worried about the critters that come with it. Thanks again,
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Although I am sure they must exist I have never come across any snakes on my hiking.
Bugs - there doesn't seem to be a lot of standing water but I am guessing the bugs are there.
Bandit

Jorge

Post by Bandit »

I went once and all I saw were Sock Monkeys. I saw a waterfall too, but that's about all that's there. (Which could be a good thing.)

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:16 am.