Wed vs. Sat arrival & departure

Travel discussion for St. John
kristen1206

Wed vs. Sat arrival & departure

Post by kristen1206 »

I am booking flights today...yay! Are Saturdays at STT super busy? Would Wednedsay be the preferable day to arrive as far as crowds? And is one day better than the other other as far as the car barge schedule?

Thanks!
augie

Post by augie »

I've always heard to avoid weekend departures and arrivals if possible, so that's what we do.
Come see us!
stltimmy

Post by stltimmy »

Not sure how much busier the airport will be. If anything, I would imagine your trip over to STJ will be less congested during the weekend.

When I land, its around 230, so we always get stuck in traffic for school getting out.

That being said, I have found that airfare is cheaper when flying mid-week versus the weekend. I got my tickets for 250 a pop flying in/out on a Wednesday. If there is a large difference in price, I think I can deal with more traffic.

Just my thoughts!
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

I love arriving on a Wednesday. It's our preference to arrive Wednesday and stay 10 days. We usually depart on a Saturday or Sunday. Saturday is definitely the busiest, but we just deal with it. Arriving on a weekday the first time left me shocked at how much quieter things were. We've only traveled May-October though so not during the high season.

Enjoy your trip!
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

We have always avoided Saturdays. That is the day most people come and go.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

pipanale

Post by pipanale »

I've only done Saturday trips (something that will stop after this year) and you may hit some traffic getting to Red Hook. We've never had trouble the following week on departure, but we must be lucky or something. The airport's never been bad for us.

Saturday AM on departure day is a bit crowded by the ferries. That's why we now leave late and stay on STT for one night at the end of the trip
St. John Lover

Post by St. John Lover »

totally depends on what time of year you're traveling. Off season and especially off-off season (what I call August & September trips) are great to travel on Saturdays. You know they hardly ever cancel or adversely adjust the flights (which they definitely do that time of year) and you can usually get a better rate at the villas you are looking to book.

High Season--particularly February & March--Saturdays ARE indeed BUSY!! BUT STT usually has more staff scheduled (as well as immigration/customs) so it may be about the same (time-wise) as mid-week. Plus in those months it's easy to find someone to help you that for $20 or so will take your bags & put you pretty much in the front of the line--money so well spent. Personally I haven't really been able to find these 'expeditors' much except for those 2 months.

January and anytime after mid-April, it really doesn't matter which you book that much. BTW, my input is based on 18 some years of traveling there sometimes multiple times in a year and at ALL times of year.

So, bottom-line, it depends on WHEN you are traveling and WHERE you are staying. It could very well be that what you may save on a Wednesday flight, you lose on your accommodations by not being able to fit into their schedule or their specials.
kristen1206

Post by kristen1206 »

Thanks all. The dates in question are May 25 - June 1 (Wed to wWd) or May 28- June 4 (Sat to Sat). Over Memorial Day weekend of 2011.
BeAsUR

Post by BeAsUR »

We always arrive on Sunday. We were there June 20-28. This year i noticed all the traffic on Saturday- as we were coming back from the beach,people coming in off the ferry with suitcases and when we stopped at Starfish just to pick up bagels- OH MY! It was SO crowded with new arrivals getting their week's groceries! I made a mental note to self NOT to arrive on a Saturday.
Here's a toast to you on the coast....

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
rpplano

Post by rpplano »

BeAsUR wrote: I made a mental note to self NOT to arrive on a Saturday.
But you'd do it in a second if offered!
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

We usually arrive on Saturday - and so far have not had any problems. Hiring a private taxi to Red Hook helps.

We have been departing mid-week and it has been very easy. Last trip, our flight departed on a Tuesday morning. I think we were through the ticket line (to check bags), customs and security in about 10 minutes.
janet
caribechris

Post by caribechris »

We used to arrive on Saturdays and long ago it was fine, but the last time we arrived on a Sat it was in July and we swore never to do it again...We avoid Saturday arrivals now...once I swear I thought the ferry would sink, there was soooo much luggage on it!
kristen1206

Post by kristen1206 »

Booked Wed to Wed last night! And glad I did!