2010 World Cup

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
jmq

2010 World Cup

Post by jmq »

Probably few here care that much about the soccer World Cup, but, just in case you flip past ESPN and see that one of the teams mentioned below is playing, it could be interesting to check them out (except maybe Italy – their overly defensive style is like watching paint dry). You have to at least admire the passion in a sport where the toughest grouping in the bracket in always referred to as the “Group of Death”.

The USA should get out of group play but probably not that much further. However, it will be very cool to see local NJ hero Tim Howard in goal for the US – he grew up in and played for North Brunswick Township High School. He will need to come up big to give them a chance.

Nice story about Tim in USA Today - how he deals with having Tourette's syndrome, etc.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/w ... titialskip

10 Teams Who Can Win the World Cup

Portugal
Portugal's strength is on the wings, where they have one of the world's best players in Cristiano Ronaldo. The return of a healthy Pepe helps plug a hole, and Carvalho provides key defensive leadership. This is not a team without flaws, by any stretch. And with Brazil and Ivory Coast in their group, there's no guarantee Portugal makes it out of group play. But the individual creativity in the midfield is undeniable for the Iberians, and no one will want to play them in the knockout round, knowing a few moments of brilliance from Ronaldo is all they need.

Ivory Coast
The key here, of course, is Didier Drogba's health. With just a week to go until Cote d'Ivoire's first game, it remains unclear whether the great striker will be able to play, and if he can, how effective he will be. With a healthy Drogba, the Ivorians are a threat to not only get out of the Group of Death, but to advance deep into the tournament. Without him, they will be hard-pressed to finish ahead of Portugal in the brutal Group D. Rarely in the history of this event have the hopes of one nation rested so squarely on one man.

France
In terms of pure individual talent, there are few teams in the world that can match up with France. The squad has stars all over the pitch: Lloris in net, Evra on defense, Ribery and Gourcuff in the midfield, Anelka at striker. But this version of Les Bleus has problems. France barely qualified for the World Cup, needing the referee to turn a blind eye on Thierry Henry's handball to help them squeak past Ireland. On Friday, the French lost to China, 1-0, in a warmup match. If the team can pull together as they have in World Cups past, there's no reason they can't make a deep run. If the trend that they started in qualifying continues, they won't make it out of an unpredictable Group A.

Italy
The defending World Cup champs have a real chance to repeat, but they'll have to hope experience counts as this version of the Azzurri is an aging bunch. Think about these players who are all over 30: Cannavaro, Zambrotta, Pirlo, Camoranesi, Gattuso and Iaquinta. That's not to say those players are no longer world class; many of them still are. But they may get worn down as the tournament goes on. If Italy is going to defend its title, they will need some of their younger stars to emerge on the international stage. We're talking about Chiellini, De Rossi, Gilardino and Pazzini. If that happens, we could be in for a repeat.

Germany
Perhaps because so many of their players are concentrated on just a few club teams, the Germans have an unparalleled ability to play together as a team. It's the classic case of the whole being greater than the sums of its parts. That's why the Germans are in a better position to handle key injuries than other nations. Despite captain Michael Ballack and No. 1 'keeper Rene Adler being ruled out, Germany is still the favorite to top a highly competitive Group D. And there is still plenty of talent on the roster -- Lahm, Boateng, Schweinsteiger, Kroos, Podolski, Klose, just to name a few. If Germany can win Group D, a possible Round of 16 matchup with the Americans awaits.

Argentina
The goal-scoring potential of this Argentina squad borders on being unfair. Messi, Higuain, Milito, Tevez, Aguero, di Maria. It's crazy. All six of these guys would start on practically any other team, but coach Diego Maradona will have to do some serious juggling to find playing time for all of them. The biggest weakness for Los Albicelestes will be on the back line and in net. Inexperience on the international stage could lead to some sloppy goals allowed. That being said, a 4-3 win is still a win.

England
England is strong, deep and experienced. If the country is going to win a World Cup in the next decade, this is the year. Many of the Three Lions' best players (Lampard, Gerrard, Terry, both Coles) are in their prime, and the young players coming up behind them are not as talented. Wayne Rooney is the game-changer up top, and he will be the key for England. If he shows his midseason form from this past club year, England can hang with anyone. If he's in a rut, they could struggle to score. The biggest questions will be in central defense, where Ledley King must try to replace injured captain Rio Ferdinad, and in net, where David James has the most experience, but he's also earned the nickname Calamity James. Rob Green could end up starting over James.

Netherlands
From the back line on up, Holland is as dangerous as any team in the tournament. Arjen Robben, if the leg injury he picked up last week isn't serious, is one of the most explosive players in the world off the right wing. Wesley Sneijder is world class in the midfield, as is Rafael Van der Vaart. Van Bommel and Van Bronckhorst provide strength and leadership in their respective defensive roles, while Robin Van Persie has a nose for goal up top. There are two question marks. The first is in net, where the Dutch will rely on Maarten Stekelenburg, since Edwin Van der Sar has retired from international play. The other is the intangibles. The Dutch always bring a strong squad to the World Cup, but they usually disappoint. Runners-up is as well they've ever done, and they haven't reached the finals in 32 years.

Brazil
Normally, Brazil has more playmakers than can take the field, but defense and 'keeper are question marks. Not this year. Julio Cesar (who, admittedly, has been battling a back injury) is the most in-form goalkeeper in the world, and Lucio and Maicon are the backbone of possibly the strongest defensive unit in the tournament (with a nod to Serbia as a fellow vote-getter). The midfield and attacking corps will have their usual flair and creativity, with a supposedly healthy Kaka running the show in the middle. Title No. 6 is a very real possibility.

Spain
Spain is the most talented team in the world. That's just the way it is. Cesc Fabregas comes off the bench, for crying out loud. There is not a single weakness in the squad. Iker Casillas in net is one of the world's three best 'keepers, maybe the best. Pique, Puyol and Sergio Ramos lead an incredibly stingy defense. Xavi, Iniesta, Alonso and Busquets are dynamic in the midfield. Torres and Villa are electric playing off each other up top. If the team with the most talent wins, Spain will be hoisting its first ever World Cup trophy next month.
Last edited by jmq on Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
augie

Post by augie »

The World Cup is always one of my favorite events! My brother and I spent two weeks in France during the '98 WC following team USA from Paris, to Lyon, and finally, to Nantes.

Our team performed terribly that year, but we had an incredible time soaking up the atmosphere, and partying with fans from teams around the world!

My poor wife is usually only interested in watching the games that the USA plays, so she will be a "soccer widow" for the rest of the tournament since me and the boys will be watching and discussing the games pretty much every non-working waking hour.

This year's tournament will provide a secondary valuable service to me. Our trip to STJ is scheduled to begin on July 13, two days after the final. So I'll have something to keep me distracted enough that the last month before STJ won't seem to drag on forever.

As to your analysis - there are always teams that look, on paper, to be the class of the field that find a way to stumble their way out of the tournament. Historically, teams such as Holland, Spain, and Portugal have fit that bill, while some teams, most notably Germany and Italy seem to struggle through group play while not being particularly impressive, but always manage to find a way to progress through the knock out stages.

Spain made a major breakthrough by winning the European championship two years ago, so maybe they're poised to do the same on the biggest stage of all.

I wouldn't mind seeing Holland, who always play an entertaining brand of football, er, sorry - soccer, lift the cup for the first time.

As to the US - we're still a team that's capable of beating anyone when we're on and get some breaks (see last summer's Confederations Cup), and equally as capable of losing to teams that we "should" beat. We're a little shy of quality at some positions, and woefully short on quality depth all round compared to the top squads.

I can't wait until Friday (and Saturday)!
Come see us!
jmq

Post by jmq »

Augie - not mine, copied from foxsports. Usually some African team comes out of nowhere too.

I was also thinking it would be great to see the Dutch finally win the Cup.

Clear space on the DVR!
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

the World Cup fascinates me. I'm all about jumping on an event's bandwagon and this is certainly one I jump on every 4 years.

I think what blows me away is the fact that the ENTIRE world, with the exception of the US 9and maybe Canada...seeing as it's already winter up there) will go nuts about this event. We Americans, in general, will yawn and watch The Desperate Housewives.

I find the rabid fanaticism for soccer to be amazing. And...it's a game you can relate to. I can go kick a ball around; and have. But, what they can do with a ball...simply amazing.

i kinda became a bandwagon fan of sorts in the early 90's. We had an Italian student live with us all through the 90's and I went to a private school in NJ whose main rival was St Benedict's. the same school to produce Claudio Reyna...who beat my school for the state championship my Junior Year. so...I recognized a few players from around NJ.

I'll watch some games...simply because it's something to have on while working. Then again, I watched a lot of Curling. To me...it's similar; something to watch every 4 years.

Who's gonna win? beats me...not the US.
lprof

Post by lprof »

augie wrote:The World Cup is always one of my favorite events! My brother and I spent two weeks in France during the '98 WC following team USA from Paris, to Lyon, and finally, to Nantes.
We were in Paris in 1986 when Argentina won over West Germany who had eliminated France in the semi-finals.
The city celebrated all night... loudly!

We were also in Paris in 1998 (did I see you that week?) when France had the victory over Brazil. The game was on big screens all over - mixed in with the decorations in place for Bastille Day. GOOOAAALLL!!! I can hear it now. There was a big carnival like parade through the park and the Champs-Elysees... Ooh La La!!!

Terrific memories... nothing like Orlando :(
Thanks for jarring the brain, augie.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
loria

Post by loria »

i arrived in Rome (via car) on the day that Italy was playing Korea (2002 WC--i think the round of 16) the streets were EMPTY--it was so strange--the shutters were closed (hot in the late spring/summer) we got out of the car and everynow and again heard AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! followed by joyous noise--then OWWWWWWWWWWW (followed by not so joyous noise) I had NO idea what was going on! --when i called the owner of the apartment i had rented she said she could not come to meet us right away as the game was on--and then i understood.....we watched the remainder of the game in a convenience store on a side street by the Vatican. sadly for italy, they lost... but it was a thrilling intro into how gripped a nation can become by a sport---
on another note,
If you haven't seen Invictus yet (rugby, --but still) it is a very worthy film....
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
jmq

Post by jmq »

lprof wrote:We were in Paris in 1986 when Argentina won over West Germany who had eliminated France in the semi-finals.
The city celebrated all night... loudly!

We were also in Paris in 1998 (did I see you that week?) when France had the victory over Brazil. The game was on big screens all over - mixed in with the decorations in place for Bastille Day. GOOOAAALLL!!! I can hear it now. There was a big carnival like parade through the park and the Champs-Elysees... Ooh La La!!!
We will happen to be in London for part of the quarter and semi finals, then in Paris during part of the semis and then for the final.

If England and France are still in it, that should be extra nuts. I already told the girls I will be taking in a game in a London pub, with or without them. I noticed that some pubs note on their website "no football colors allowed". I imagine that applies more during the EPL season.
augie

Post by augie »

lprof wrote:We were also in Paris in 1998 (did I see you that week?) when France had the victory over Brazil.
No, we were back home by that time. But we watched the celebrations on "The Champs" and knew that our new French friends were having a great time!
Come see us!
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

So I know NOTHING about soccer. I mean nothing. Other than it is played with a round ball, and there are goalies, sweepers, midfielders...And for some reason, the game doesn't actually end when the clock says it is supposed to end...That seems to be up to the referee's discretion (something else I don't understand about penalty minutes, etc).

BUT, like Pip, this WC fascinates me for many reasons. I enjoy watching it every four years as well.

What I don't understand, is why is ESPN trumpeting tomorrow USA v. England Match as "The Most Anticipated Match" of the World Cup? Is this just marketing, or is it really that anticipated worldwide?

I would have thought Brazil-Portugal, Mexico-South Africa, etc would be much more interesting matchups.

Does the US Team actually have a shot this year? I'm thinking no, but hopefully I'm wrong!

Thanks in advance for the education!
July 2003 - Honeymoon at The Westin
July 2004 - Glenmar, Gifft Hill
July 2005 - Arco Iris, Fish Bay
December 2007 - Dreamcatcher, GCB
July 2008 - Ellison Villa, VGE
augie

Post by augie »

soxfan22 wrote: What I don't understand, is why is ESPN trumpeting tomorrow USA v. England Match as "The Most Anticipated Match" of the World Cup? Is this just marketing, or is it really that anticipated worldwide?
Marketing hype for their US audience (we love having our notion that we're the center of the universe reinforced).

That being said, England thinks the cup is their birthright but have only won it one time, in 1966 when it was played on their home soil. Soccer being one of the few sports that the world cares about that we haven't dominated, our recent improvement makes it a compelling story for the purists who wonder if we're a sleeping giant, as well as for the haters who just like to see us fail whenever possible.

Does the US Team actually have a shot this year?
Very long shot at best. In a tournament, any team can get hot, and coupled with some big breaks, you never know, but I'll be content if we advance out of our group (two of the four teams from each of the eight groups will advance to the knockout, single elimination stages).

We have more players playing meaningful minutes in top leagues worldwide than ever before, but I don't believe that we have either the quality depth or the absolute bonafide superstar that can carry the team against top flight competition.

There are a lot of countries that have produced tons of world class players that have never lifted the cup (only seven countries have ever won it) and it's pretty unrealistic to expect a country that's a relative newcomer on the world stage (we did not even qualify for the tournament from 1950 to 1990 despite coming from a relatively weak region) to achieve that.

I hope that someone will win it this year that never has before. Spain, Netherlands, and Portugal seem the most likely to break into that club, but all of those have brought enormously talented teams to the tournament before, so it will be interesting to see if one of them (or another newcomer) can achieve that breakthrough.
Come see us!
jmq

Post by jmq »

A lot of the hype about England – USA is a pretty shrewd move to catch (and hopefully keep) the attention of casual viewers early in the tournament.

That said, like Augie points out, there are plenty of subplots and storylines to play too, starting with the countries' political ties and shared bonds in the sport - so many of the early teachers, coaches and pioneers of U.S. soccer were imports from the UK. Plus, throw in the massive upset of England by the USA in 1950 World Cup.

I’ll use a NCAA basketball analogy to help you appreciate our chances in the tournament: we may be like a Gonzaga from a few years ago – a mid-major program capable of the big upset (we beat #1 Spain last year – their only defeat in the last four years) and are capable going deeper in the tournament IF we play consistently good, organized defense and capitalize on change of possessions (like turnovers in hoops) and scoring opportunities. But almost everybody on the team has to play well for us to win.

Two things that helps when watching soccer: try to watch one pass away from the ball (I also tend to watch basketball like this). That way you may get to see players cut for a pass before they get it or cut to create space and/or draw defenders away from the ball. And, pay attention when there is a sudden change of possession and how quickly a team flips the offense/defense switch when that happens at midfield or with the long distance counterattack (like a fastbreak).

The South African who scored the first goal of the tournament this afternoon started his run behind the defense after a turnover and two passes BEFORE the ball eventually got to him on the breakaway. A great pass and finish. But, I'm a sucker for the beautiful assist in any sport. Give me a Steve Nash or Jason Kidd highlight reel over a Lebron James dunkfest reel any day.
jmq

Post by jmq »

I printed this out and put it next to the DVR.

Edit from SI.com
Even the most intrepid World Cup fan will struggle to watch all 48 first-round matches. If you're really pressed, you could trim the list of must-see contests substantially. In fact, we'll help you. Here are 10 in the first round that you absolutely shouldn't miss (all times Eastern):

1. South Africa vs. Mexico, June 11, 10 a.m. -- World Cup openers once tended to be rather cautious and stodgy affairs. But Germany immediately lit up the 2006 tournament by pushing four past Costa Rica. Before that, Senegal popped the top on World Cup 2002 with a stunning upset over title-holding France, which nailed the post twice but could never find a way through. Can South Africa draw upon the energy of a frenzied nation to upend Mexico? Brazilian manager Carlos Alberto Parreira has supplied some needed discipline and direction for Bafana Bafana. And given Mexico's constant craving for attack and its wobbly goalkeeping, this year's big opener has potential to be a real cooker.

2. United States vs. England, June 12, 2:30 p.m. -- Excitement in America began building over this one the very second these teams were drawn into Group C back in December. Domestic soccer will always have England in its blood, not just for the countries' rich political ties but for the UK's role in shaping the American game. In many areas of the United States, the pioneers and early teachers of soccer were English exports. On the field, we'll see which version of England shows: a tough and talented side of restored discipline that romped and stomped in qualifying? Or the shrunken, oddly lifeless and disjointed side we've seen in recent friendlies?

3. Argentina vs. Nigeria, June 12, 10 a.m. -- Manager Diego Maradona, once the greatest soccer player on Earth, has been reduced to something of a cartoonish figure. And his team, talk about unpredictable! Argentina does have a lovely roster balance of workers and artists, including the world's top player. But even Leo Messi may not have enough magic in those inimitable fleet feet to overcome a certain Maradona-created instability. Then again, African teams have a bit of that unsteadiness in them, too. So this one could go anywhere.

4. Brazil vs. North Korea, June 15, 2:30 p.m. -- Under coach Dunga, Brazilian soccer is more bump and brawn, less Joga Bonito. But that doesn't mean the five-time champion isn't blessed with fine players. It starts with the phenomenal center-back pairing, Luicio and Juan. Yes, the bid to reclaim World Cup glory starts in defense for the Selecao. North Korea? Who knows? But the tournament's mystery guests don't appear to have enough protective armor -- not for facing global soccer's aristocrats, anyway. If Brazil is going to toy with a side, it will be this one. So catch this one from Johannesburg for the potential train wreck factor, if nothing else.

5. Spain vs. Switzerland, June 16, 10 a.m. -- Once again, Spain dreams of World Cup greatness. Only this time, the dreamy hopes have some realistic foundation -- so you'll want to see the co-favorites at some point in the opening round. Switzerland is fairly well organized and will look to make things hard on Spain and aim for a draw. Spain's first-round finale with Chile may appear on the surface to be the better match. But if Vincent del Bosque's side has six points in its pocket, the coach will probably rest some starters in that one.

6. France vs. Mexico, June 17, 2:30 p.m. -- History may see France as a dubious World Cup participant, given Thierry Henry's naughty handball and an unconvincing overall qualifying campaign. Still, there's something to like about this squad, thanks to talented attackers. Mexico has never advanced past the second round in a World Cup played outside its own borders. Still, there's something to like about this squad thanks to sassy young attackers like Giovani Dos Santos, Carlos Vela and new Manchester United signee Javier Hernandez. Given the tournament history of host nations advancing out of the first round, South Africa could find a way through, which means the second spot from Group A could well come down to this one.

7. United States vs. Algeria, June 23, 10 a.m. -- This will be the first-round closer for Bob Bradley's team. Only the red-white-and-bluest of American fans would dare think their boys will have second-round passage secured by this point. Chances are, they'll need a result against the North Africans in Pretoria. Algeria can be a bit erratic, but there is surely talent there. Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey and Tim Howard, assuming they come through the first two U.S. matches unscathed, will need to carry the day. Get your foam fingers up!

8. Ghana vs. Germany, June 23, 2:30 p.m. -- Among the most evocative aspects of any World Cup is the contrast in styles -- although it can sometimes be overstated in the modern game, where soccer cultures frequently intermingle. But this one does offer some contrast. Michael Ballack's absence could see the German's drift back to the old ways: grinding out results through efficiency and sheer will. The Ghanaians are fairly well organized by freewheeling African standards, but they'll still challenge Germany with an energetic side, a mix of young talent and returning players who impressed four years ago. Ghana's loss of indomitable midfielder Michael Essien, however, will dent the Africans' chances.

9. Netherlands vs. Cameroon, June 24, 2:30 p.m. -- The Dutch have a tendency to hit a sweet spot about this time in major tournaments. It's usually around the second or third match -- after the initial draw borne of overconfidence and before the inevitable collapse borne of internal bickering. But in between, they can be simply amazing.

10. Brazil vs. Portugal, June 25, 10 a.m. -- It looked like Brazil-Ivory Coast would be the marquee match of this bunch, but the broken arm injury to irrepressible striker Didier Drogba may strip some sheen off that one. Rather, the group may be decided by the Portuguese-speaking nations. Both teams will be keen to finish first in the group, for a likely second-round matchup with Spain awaits the Group G runner-up. And even mighty Brazil might want to sidestep that one.
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

OK... I may be wrong, but I believe all of the prior posters were men. So, let me just say that - as a woman - I was much more interested in the amazing concert yesterday, which I watched from beginning to end. We're big followers of African musicians in this household and really enjoyed the less well known African acts.

Re: Footie. I'm married to a Brit and have lived in England and Holland as an adult, and Switzerland as a kid, so I get the worldwide impact of Football. But, it's way to defensive for me. I need to see some scoring, and I hate to see a game won on penalty kicks. (World Cup 2006?)

Lastly, of the list of 10 to watch above, I'm going to be pulling for Ivory Coast. It's small, it's in Africa, and I'm sure their development programs do not have the funding of other countries. I love an underdog.

Lovermont
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

USA USA USA!
What? We tied? They have ties in this sport? Seriously?
Screw it!
USA USA USA USA!!!!

Take that, you nattering twits!
augie

Post by augie »

pipanale wrote:They have ties in this sport?
"Draws" :roll:
Come see us!