Travel Insurance

Travel discussion for St. John
Bilter

Travel Insurance

Post by Bilter »

Just Curious, How many of you buy travel insurance when traveling during the hurricane season? We have been to St john twice before during late October and have not purchased the Insurance. This year we will be coming in late July early August. Should I buy travel insurance this time?
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
obsessedmuch

Post by obsessedmuch »

I always buy it, too. I think it was $14 for my next trip, which isn't much compared to thousands.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I got it. Like Jorge says, you just never know what will happen, either on vacation or before you go.
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

For those of you who get trip insurance, do you go through your current insurance firm (home/auto), or do you go to a firm that specializes in travel insurance? If the latter, any recommendations?

Thanks!
mrsb

Post by mrsb »

We get trip insurance and I have gone to the compare websites and determined what we need, who offers it and at what price. Some companies offer to insure just about anything (a la cart) and others do basic coverage. Just type in trip insurance and see what comes up.
When will I see St John again?
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Look to the left. You can buy it through the link on this site and it helps support Anthony and the board!
California Girl

I got mine from Travelex (http://www.travelex-insurance.com), which was recommended to me by a travel agent friend of mine. It cost $263 for two 58 year olds and we're covered for just about anything you can think of that might happen before or during our vacation.

The way I see it, $263 is cheap, compared to losing the money I spent on plane tickets, villas, etc. :)
SoCaTraveler

Post by SoCaTraveler »

Go to www.insuremytrip.com and you can compare a lot of different policies side by side.

Make sure you read the fine print of the various policies (e.g., they often differ in the amount of time required between two connecting flights in order to make a claim for expenses incurred due to a missed connection).
California Girl

SoCaTraveler - where in So. CA are you? :D
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Thanks for the information! Travel insurance is an excellent idea -- cheap compared to the cost of travel. On our last trip (Maui) we rented a car through Costco travel, so we got our insurance through them too. I never stopped to compare options. It's great to get some recommendations for other sources!
SoCaTraveler

Post by SoCaTraveler »

Hi California Girl ~

I'm not too far south of you... I live in Carlsbad. Isn't the weather we are having fabulous?!?
genipgirl

Post by genipgirl »

beachluvers

Post by beachluvers »

Only $14.00???? Are you only covering your flight cost, obsessedmuch? We have our tickets with skymiles, and because I'm platinum, I can redeposit the tickets should something go wrong. So we were only thinking we'd need to cover the cost of the villa. Like Bilter, we'll be there over huricanne season. Am I missing something?
Jo & Bryon

Bluwater

Post by Bluwater »

I've used www.TravelGuard.com.

No problems - but, then again, I had no problems for them.
Bluwater