Science be damned!

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
JT

Science be damned!

Post by JT »

Coffee is a weird thing these days. You've got the Starbuck thing, and coffee home brew snobs that all say this way, or that way is the best way. Well for the 2nd time in about 3 years our high end electric drip coffee machine's switch went bad and wouldn't turn on. The last time it happened I was able to exchange it. This time it was out of warranty. I threw it in the trash and bought a Presto Percolator and for the last four days we have enjoyed the best coffee that we've had in years! Coffee snobs say that percolator coffee is the very worst way to make coffee. To each their own. Our coffee is now "burn you lip" hot, no burnt taste, but strong, using the same amount of coffee to water ratio. I'll never go back to a drip style again. Just thought I'd share this with you guys.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

The best coffee pot I ever had was my Corningware electric percolator! I might even still have it somewhere. It just takes soooo long to make a pot of coffee...but it's always excellent. Hmmm... I wonder where that is? Now I'm going to have to look for it. :lol:
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Ditto, My best coffee, a faberware electric perc!
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

We use the Melita cones, pouring the boiling water over the grounds - I can't have coffee at home any other way...
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
augie

Post by augie »

I use an Aeropress - sort of an updated version of a french press.

I'm the only coffee drinker at home, so the low throughput isn't an issue, but it makes a really great cup of joe!

Roasting the beans weekly and grinding them fresh each morning right before pressing doesn't hurt either.

Uh oh - I guess I'm one of those coffee snobs JT was talking about! :oops:
Come see us!
Lex

Post by Lex »

You've inspired me, JT. I, too, may have been taken in by the coffee snobs and propagandists. I think it's time that I go back and give Maxwell House Instant another try. I'll keep you informed.
verjoy

Post by verjoy »

We'll have to drag out the old 48 yr old percolator we got for a wedding present and give it another try. Well meaning people keep giving us flavored gourmet (ground) coffee for Christmas. We accumulated 7 pounds of it in the freezer. Right now we are working on the last package-Pumpkin pie spice!

But my husband actually prefers Tasters Choice instant in the single serving tubes.
JT

Post by JT »

When our power goes out, which is frequent, our stove still works because it's propane. My wife has an old Swedish stovetop percolator coffee pot that says "Vars sa god" on it and we always use it during outages. Every time we enjoy the coffee immensely, but it takes a long time to brew. The new electric one takes about 14 minutes to brew 12 cups of perfection.The first pot full had a few more grounds then liked I left in the bottom of the cup, so I cut a tiny hole in the bottom of one of the leftover basket filters and used it in the perc's basket and that solved that problem. I have about two more pounds of coffee already ground for the drip machine, which is ground finer then you want for a percolator. Next batch I'll grind here to a bit courser consistency. We've tried a zillion different coffees over the years, ground and brewed every way imaginable, and the fact is we're not that fussy, but when the freaking machine fails to turn on, it's a lousy way to start your day. But far as Taster's Choice Instant, I can't even remember the last time I had that stuff.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I just had some cuban cafe con leche in Miami at David's Cafe (real local cuban food - amazing) that so so good that I almost want to move there just for the coffee!

At home we use the Senseo which is adequate but definitely lowbrow. I just need my caffeine! But the cuban coffee with just the right amount of milk and sugar, strong but smooth. O - M - G! It was so delish. I know this has nothing to do w/ your post but I had to share!
Wakey

Post by Wakey »

I love that Cuban coffee too!

Here's an old favorite, cold brew. Makes a very smooth cup of coffee. The skinny is that you cold brew a container of concentrate. Add 1 oz to a cup of hot water and enjoy.

http://www.4csons.com/filtron/
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:13 pm.