Grilling enthusiasts

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Lulu76

Grilling enthusiasts

Post by Lulu76 »

I know we have many grilling enthusiasts here, and I need some help.

I just bought a condo, and I found out that due to some strange ordinance, I can only have an electric grill. I pretty much grill all summer long, so I figure that I need to just deal with it and buy an electric grill.

I went to Lowe's the other day, and the guy showed me a smoker/grill made by Brinkmann. It has good reviews, but I know nothing about smokers. I guess this will be a good way to cook my beer chicken, though!

I am a little unclear how the grilling part works though. Sometimes I just want to come home and throw some steaks on the grill and have them done for dinner instead of waiting 5 or 6 hours! Does anyone know how all this works.

Any thoughts you have on this subject would be appreciated. And it goes without saying that if I go this route, you all need to get out your recipes of all the great things you're cooking on your smokers.
djmom

Post by djmom »

We have had one of those before. We never used it for grilling but I am sure it would be fine.

The info I have is more for smoking, but 2 observations: you may find you blow a fuse if you use an appliance inside on the same circuit. It is not a big deal, but it did cause some problems with the smoking more than once. Basically a fuse was blown and we didn't make the connection and the smoker was out for a while.

I don't think that will be a big issue grilling because you probably won't be blow drying your hair while grilling. :shock:

The only other observation was smoking in very cold weather, it didn't get as hot and it would take much longer..

However, I think for your uses it is going to be perfect and I bet a good price. But do keep that fuse thing in mind in case you have problems.

And you'll love smoking. Much better than grilling.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
Margy Z

Post by Margy Z »

When I am in a big hurry or the weather outside is just too awful to venture out to the grill I use a grill pan on top of the stove. I like the cast iron ones with the porcelain coating (like LeCreuset) - they make great grill marks becasue the ribs are high. I rub the pan with some oil and then preheat so I get a good sizzle on the first side. If the steak is too thick or if I am doing different temps for different people I like that I can finish the steaks off in the oven using the same pan.
augie

Post by augie »

Move!

I think if I couldn't use my charcoal grill I'd opt for searing meat on cast iron, much as Margy suggested. If you get to the point where you actually start smoking things post again - even though I strictly use charcoal I have a lot of recipes that can easily be done on any type of smoker.

Good luck!
Come see us!
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I have always used charcoal. Even though it's technically illegal where I live now, I sneak and do it and the neighbors don't complain. At the new place, however, they will fine you $100. Lovely.

Although when I was lamenting this electric-only grill situation, my mother informed me that the grill we had growing up was electric. The food was good, and I honestly never noticed. She said she put some sort of lava rocks in it to make it more like charcoal.

I will manage OK. I am still leaning toward the smoker, especially if it is still $70 at Home Depot.
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

I used an electic grill when I owned a condo, same kind of rules. The addition of the lava rocks over the heating element was key.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:31 am.