New parking lot and facilities at big Maho

Travel discussion for St. John
liamsaunt

New parking lot and facilities at big Maho

Post by liamsaunt »

I was reading the Tradewinds this afternoon and noticed that there is a story explaining plans to renovate the facilities at Maho this summer (not the campground, the bigger beach). 50 parking spaces--2 lots with 25 spaces at each end of the beach, restrooms, picnic tables and grills. Here is a link to the article:

http://www.stjohntradewindsnews.com/ind ... &Itemid=38

I don't know...is there enough room on the beach for the people that would be coming in that many cars? Where would they put the picnic tables? The beach doesn't seem wide enough to accommodate tables.

What do you think?
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

I'd expect that the picnic tables would be set up around the renovated pavilion at the west end. Where will they put in the lots for the 50 cars? Across the road?
Diana2

Re: New parking lot and facilities at big Maho

Post by Diana2 »

liamsaunt wrote:I was reading the Tradewinds this afternoon and noticed that there is a story explaining plans to renovate the facilities at Maho this summer (not the campground, the bigger beach). 50 parking spaces--2 lots with 25 spaces at each end of the beach, restrooms, picnic tables and grills. Here is a link to the article:

http://www.stjohntradewindsnews.com/ind ... &Itemid=38

I don't know...is there enough room on the beach for the people that would be coming in that many cars? Where would they put the picnic tables? The beach doesn't seem wide enough to accommodate tables.

What do you think?
That's exactly what I was thinking. I really don't see that Maho has enough space on the sand to accomodate that many people. I for one don't want to be there when they are all there, that's for sure. While it would be nice to have some order to the parking problem there I hope they don't develop things too much and ruin it. I wonder how many cars can park at Hawksnest now. I've been there when I though there were too many people and left for a quieter beach. I sure hope they don't wreck Maho. I love that beach.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Yikes! 50 spots is way too many. If they go through with this I'm not sure we'll be visiting Maho much anymore.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
John LMBZ06

Post by John LMBZ06 »

Maho is my favorite and I think the plans may be a little too much for that small of a beach. There have been a couple of times that we were the only ones on that west side under the tree and that is the way I liked it. I guess we shall see. I was thinking that the parking would be across the street and they would just have to cut down a bunch of trees to do this. Our island is growing and the word is getting out.
loria

Post by loria »

oh boy......i saw that but only skimmed and thought that it was just a reno of the building.

I am looking more and more at returning to bequia
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
gymnastika

Post by gymnastika »

(fingers in ears) NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

As things become busier and more Americanized the NPS will react accordingly -- this is what People want !? -- whether it is - more parking at Jumbie- or a bigger lot at Maho - the masses are constantly pressing for more - locals' input gets ignored and what everyone calls progress continues -- it is a dilemma for many, a contradiction for others and a travesty for some - but it is a spiral that will continue as long as there is no planning and control.
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

MAN, there goes my plans for my bar at that pavillion :x Exit nailed it good for some bad for others, head for Francis before they build one there too. It's all KENNY'S fault :lol:
hugo

Post by hugo »

Have any of you ever tried to drive through Maho on a Sunday afternoon in February or March recently? There are at least 50 cars parked in the road(totally blocking the lane, often) or on top of the seagrape roots. We've always deplored the ever expanding parking at NPS beaches, but I can hardly wait for this.
The eastern parking will be across the road, on corner. Until the Trust for Public Land got involved in the Big Maho property, the only piece that was in sole National Park ownership was was the tiny beach lot with the pavilion and the parking parallel to the road, otherwise there would certainly have been a big parking lot many years ago.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Hugo, I was hoping you would weigh in. I've only been to St. John once in the on season, so I've never seen the road looking like that. I also did not realize that some of the parking was going to be across the street. I was trying to picture lots on the beach side and could not figure out how it would work.

I really do hope that they don't install the same kinds of toilets that they have at Hawksnest. Those things positively reek. At least at Hawksnest they are set back a bit from the beach.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

go to Francis!! While Maho is a great, calm beach - I really don't like to go there because it is too close to the road and you hear cars and taxis and trucks - too much noise for my taste! Now it will be even worse!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

hugo wrote:Have any of you ever tried to drive through Maho on a Sunday afternoon in February or March recently? There are at least 50 cars parked in the road(totally blocking the lane, often) or on top of the seagrape roots. We've always deplored the ever expanding parking at NPS beaches, but I can hardly wait for this.
The eastern parking will be across the road, on corner. Until the Trust for Public Land got involved in the Big Maho property, the only piece that was in sole National Park ownership was was the tiny beach lot with the pavilion and the parking parallel to the road, otherwise there would certainly have been a big parking lot many years ago.
I have seen exactly what Hugo described during our Feb/Mar trips. Some people go so far as to pull between the trees, onto the beach.

Depending on how the parking is designed, if it was tucked back among the trees, I don't think it would be too bad. What is on the property now? I remember a mobile hom or old house that looked deserted.

The needs to be some sort of parking. Or a shuttle service but I remember that idea being vetoed by the taxi commission.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

As a huge advocate for Maho as my favorite beach, this is really a letdown.
If there had been the new lot there years & years ago when I first went, I'd most definately feel different, but having to watch this place get beaten up is tough to take.
I was always more than comfortable while cruising down & into Maho relying on/hoping for one of the hollowed out parking spots that we're all familiar with. However, if there wasn't any available, we'd continue on to Francis and try again the next day.
I've also never experienced folks parking 'on the street', but definately seen Jeeps halfway on the beach.
This really bugs me...If there's no room, why not go somewhere else?!?
Also; to build it on that eastern corner will be dangerous as heck. It already freaks me out a bit.
The serenity of its distance to/from touristy spots and the ease of jumping out of the Jeep & onto the beach will be lost.
Heartbreaking.
We'll see...
Smiles-( :( )
MJ
Captain John

Post by Captain John »

lazylane wrote:go to Francis!! While Maho is a great, calm beach - I really don't like to go there because it is too close to the road and you hear cars and taxis and trucks - too much noise for my taste! Now it will be even worse!
And smell the exhaust fumes, I'm with Debra on this one...
Captain John

"I live the life I love and I love the life I live"