Haiti

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

Hi all,

Someone mentioned wanting to donate supplies. We have a church group that was scheduled to go before the earthquake hit and has confirmed they will still go. They are taking medical supplies and I would be happy to send you a list of what is needed and you could ship them in a flat rate box to me or the church, I'm sure you could make donations through the church to this team also. I just always feel better sending stuff with someone that I know will get it where it needs to go and that I know will donate them directly to Haiti so I thought I'd throw this out there.

Nic
Lex

Post by Lex »

Haiti is desperate. It's has been on very shaky ground for centuries---politically and economically. It's the poorest, least developed country in the western hemisphere. And it ranks last by a large margin. It's only period of stability may have been during the U.S. occupation.

Here's a link to give a picture of how things were in Haiti two years ago:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... eatin.html

That was before being hit by several major tropical storms in 2008 and now by this major earthquake. There was very little stability and resources there prior to the earthquake. It seems that there's the possibility of the total breakdown of a country.
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

I just wonder what the DR is thinking right now. They're right there and must be looking rather nervously to the West.

For a place that had nothing; now they have less. How do you even rebuild an entire nation?

Governments of "first world" countries who pour money into Haiti (in my opinion) are going to see a lot of backlash at home...especially if things are less than rosy there.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Nic - I'd like that list, please, and the address where to send a box. Thanks!

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:46 am.