How long to get luggage?

Travel discussion for St. John
bnsilly

How long to get luggage?

Post by bnsilly »

How long does it typically take at STT to get luggage once we have landed? Trying to figure out if we can make the 5:30 ferry. We arrive at 4:40. Really don't think I can do carry on, but may have to try to swing it if I have to. Will just use half of hubbys carry onn too..lol j/k
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

We have made the 5:30 downtown ferry with a 4:40 flight in the past. It was close. Very close. Actually we arrived at the dock about 4:43 and still had time to board. Island time you know. Our luggage was the last on the carousel though.

I will venture a guess and say an average of 20 minutes to get your luggage. It seems like forever because it is the last delay in reaching paradise. Of course it depends on if your flight is the only arriving flight, if your luggage gets to the carousel first or last, if you have to wait to fill a taxi.

Consider this, the 5:30 downtown arrives at Cruz Bay at almost the same time as the 6 pm Redhook.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
bnsilly

Post by bnsilly »

But this girl is headed to Tortola... :D and would
rather not have to wait for the 9pm ferry..
Pia

Post by Pia »

It can vary from 10 mins to 40 mins - even longer 1 hour plus) when there is only one conveyor working but that is not the case right now :)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Here's a tip...CARRY ON

TIP #2 when you lay out all you think you want to bring...divide in half...then divide in half again...and you'll still say at the end of your trip..."I brought tooooo much"

Good Luck

Tip# 3 Get a porter when you fly home
bnsilly

Post by bnsilly »

Seriously thinking about the carry on only idea. That is so not me, but I really am going to try.

What is tip #3 about? Why would I need a porter on the way home? I am not rushed for time, and if I have carry on only???
RickG

Post by RickG »

Our luggage has taken from 10 minutes to three days. We now do carry on only.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
jmq

Post by jmq »

I recall some folks over on the TTOL BVI forum saying they or the taxi guys have successfully called ahead to the Tortola ferry to hold it a few minutes if its close. Maybe search for or pose that specific question over there. If you need the link, PM me.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
bnsilly

Post by bnsilly »

Yes I have the ferry's phone number in my cell just in case it is close..
I am on a mission to attempt to do carry on only for the 1st time ever. Will see how that goes once I start doing the packing.. :?
IslandElle

Post by IslandElle »

You may all ready know this but if you are attempting carry on here is the best advice I can give.

If you are anything like me and feel that you have to have an outfit for every day and lots of options then you should get packing cubes and roll your clothes. I did this for my backpacking trip through Europe this Summer and it worked wonders. I was able to take way more than I thought I would. I didnt carry on but I was able to carry this pack on my back for six weeks without any problems. I plan on doing the same for our trip to STJ in April. Good luck!
bnsilly

Post by bnsilly »

Yes, that is me, the girl who wants "options" :D Going to have to just scale it down with the favorites. I will try the roll method..
Funny thing about this is my husband has been the one that is really worried about being able to do this..lol
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:46 am.