Because there does seem to be so much speculation...

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Anthony
Site Admin

Because there does seem to be so much speculation...

Post by Anthony »

I really hate doing this - but...

1.) The train wreck posts get a lot of page views... because they are train wrecks. Really, it is never that many people, but if 20 or 30 have posted, then they have read it all, and have come back every time someone else adds a comment, etc. The number of views builds up pretty fast, but they are usually the same people, the participants, viewing those pages over and over again.

2.) A post like a trip report, with only "500" views is actually a lot. Most people only read them once - and visit them once. So there is actually a better chance that the 500 view report thread was viewed by more people than the 2,000 view train wreck thread.

3.) When regulars come to these train wreck threads over and over again, it really doesn't do anything for the business of this forum. It doesn't earn us money, it doesn't help the advertisers, etc. If anything, the train wreck threads are a negative. Why some people still believe I have some underlying motive to have these kinds of threads, threads that give me headaches on Thanksgiving eve, that keep me up at night, and that seem to upset generally everyone, is beyond me.

4.) The forum, as popular as it is, is one tiny fraction of what we do at Caribbean-On-Line INC, yet it takes an inordinate amount of our time, and I know that still isn't enough. But this is the Internet economy. If you think it is easy to make money online, talk to Rupert Murdoch. Running this and the other related websites is what I do for a living. There is a lot to keep up with in many areas. I am not complaining - I do like what I do - but making a living at this is still new and constantly evolving. I have had and do have other jobs (sometimes full time) and yet kept this and all the other website I have running for over 15 years now.

5. I personally think that some of the overall "mood" of the forum is a reflection of the overall economic situation. These are fairly difficult times for a large portion of people, not just in the U.S., but everywhere. I think if the overall global economic situation was better, people would perhaps be a little more light hearted here. That being said - and I have said this to many of you privately - these things have a shelf life. If coming around here isn't fun, you really should take a break. And I think if you (you meaning all of you - the users) want it to be more fun, you can make it so.

BTW I hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving. We had a large chicken in place of a turkey (we are having that Saturday night) and most of the trimmings.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Wakey

Post by Wakey »

Safe to say you are appreciated, Anthony.

Thank you. 8)
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Thanks Anthony! Well stated. We appreciate your hard work!
linne

Post by linne »

Thank you for telling us the reality about the work with the forum and thank you for your patience.

Linne
sherban

Post by sherban »

Anthony- Thanks for running a great forum...

The reason I keep coming back to this one is because there are many smart people who share info here, more so than any other forum I have ever visited.

The other reason is usually the people are very upbeat and friendly.

You have alot of really impressive people who are regulars here and you are a great moderator.

THANKS
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Thanks Anthony. I cannot say I know anyone who is as fair and patient as you are. I tried to quit this forum once, but all the "good stuff" kept me coming back. This is a great cyber hangout, and I appreciate all you do to make it available. I've met some real-life, life-long friends here. :D

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:25 am.