Parking in Cruz Bay

Travel discussion for St. John
mindehankins

Parking in Cruz Bay

Post by mindehankins »

(If you're a newbie like me, you might want to do as I did, and copy and paste this information into a word document or something.)

This is a re-print of some parking information that was posted on this site and has now disappeared. Maybe someone could add easy directions to find Slimman's?

In addition to Slimman's (which is a pay lot), there are several free parking lots sprinkled throughout the Cruz Bay area.

1. There's a parking lot across from the Post Office, adjacent to the public restrooms and the Customs Office. It's usually packed during daylight hours, but you can often score a spot if you're willing to circle a few times. Beware though: probably about 1/3 of the spaces are marked 'short term.' If you stay in them for longer than 45 minutes, you can end up with a $25 citation, although enforcement is sporadic.

2. At the other end of town, across the road from Mongoose Junction, and adjacent to the National Park dock, there is a small parking lot. It only has 8 or so spaces, and is almost always full. Still, once in awhile you can get lucky.

3. Behind Nature's Nook, there is another small public lot. I've had pretty good luck finding a space in there. Maneuvering can sometimes be tough as the lot is long and very narrow. A couple of times, I've returned to find local leaning against my car, smoking funny smelling cigarettes. But, to their credit, they did step back from the car- as soon as I put it in gear.

4. Adjacent to the DMV and tennis courts, there's a good sized public parking lot. You get there by going up the hill past Woody's and turning right once you've passed the small ball field. The lot is on your left as you reach the bottom of the little hill. You can't miss it. This is generally where I end up parking.

5. It's sort of a no-no, but, in a pinch, you can also park at Mongoose Junction. They have an on-again/off-again parking attendant there who sometimes will ask you to state your business at Mongoose. I tell her I'm grabbing a drink at the Gecko Gazebo (which I'll actually do just to remain honest). Then I walk clean through the complex and out onto the street at the end closest to town center. If you park at Mongoose all day, you might end up with a flyer on your windshield reminding you that the lot is for customers only.

6. Finally, if you get really desperate, you can park at the Marketplace. It's easy to find a space there, but a longer walk back to town. And, as with Mongoose, etiquette dictates that you try to give one or more of the merchants a little token business, upon arrival or departure, i.e. buy a soda at Starfish, condoms at Chelsea, etc.
Joppa

Post by Joppa »

Thanks Minde! Thats a great list to have as we are renting in STT.
I looked and Joshie deleted all but One of his posts. How sad.
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

Thanks Minde, this is what all us newbies need.

Thank you for taking the time to do this.
No ticker anymore. Next vac will prob. be the Fl Keys.
hugo

Post by hugo »

Please be aware that Mongoose will watch you pretty closely in season, and will boot you if they know you've left the complex. Also, if you park in the post office lot, you can expect to be blocked in temporarily by those of us who, oddly enough, have to go to the post office. This is considered normal for up to 10 minutes, so please don't snarl at us...
vi lover

Post by vi lover »

Great information - now I know where to park AND buy condoms.... :lol: :lol:
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

vi lover wrote:Great information - now I know where to park AND buy condoms.... :lol: :lol:
Yes, isn't the forum a wonderful source of information? :lol:
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

hugo wrote:Please be aware that Mongoose will watch you pretty closely in season, and will boot you if they know you've left the complex. Also, if you park in the post office lot, you can expect to be blocked in temporarily by those of us who, oddly enough, have to go to the post office. This is considered normal for up to 10 minutes, so please don't snarl at us...
I appreciate this information. Part of our group are die hard shoppers and wouldn't think twice about parking, shopping and eating at Mongoose and then walking over to Wharfside. I will be sure to pass this along to them.
theshopper3

Post by theshopper3 »

All this talk on parking and not being offensive.
It really is a no brainer. If you are leaving the area
move your car or take the risk. Slimmin's is a great place to park & really resonable, there is also a new pay parking area right beside the police station.
Add these two to the ones already mentioned & you shouldn't have to risk a ticket or getting the boot.

The Shopper
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

What about right outside the Fish Trap? You can park there, right?
theshopper3

Post by theshopper3 »

I am sure I read a "Patrons only" sign there last week. So I wouldn't chance it.

The Shopper
tjwgrr

Post by tjwgrr »

crasherino wrote:What about right outside the Fish Trap? You can park there, right?
Yeah, but I heard the rate is pretty steep....
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Shopper or someone who knows, can you give good directions to Slimman's? I wasn't the driver, so I can't say for sure. Do you pass Sheila's Pot on the left and keep going straight and the lot is on your left? I was thinking that last trip, it was up the hill a little bit.
I posted this for the newbies, cause it wasn't available on the boards anymore if they searched. It really was a tremendous help to us. Driving in town was a little overwhelming to us; better the second time, but Rick G's and other's helpful information made things so much better!
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

mindehankins wrote:Shopper or someone who knows, can you give good directions to Slimman's?
Slimman's is down on the street that leads you past Wharfside and terminates right in front of St John Car Rental...right??? It's on that little 1-way street. They're at "ground level" right there on the left as you drive along the road. We had to use them last summer and the rates were good for a day's parking.

Also...for parking...check your rental agency to see if they offer on-site parking. Several do, but not all do. And, if you're me, the ones who do make exceptions for you and don't let you.
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

tjwgrr wrote:
crasherino wrote:What about right outside the Fish Trap? You can park there, right?
Yeah, but I heard the rate is pretty steep....
Nah, just sweet talk the attendant there...she's good people. Or so I'm told. :lol:

Minde - Slimman's is right across from Wharfside Village. Next door (more or less) to Larry's Landing.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Thanks for reposting Joshie's parking list, I pass this to newbies all of the time! Joshie lives!

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI