airborne

Travel discussion for St. John
brenda

airborne

Post by brenda »

Anyone use it? How long before you fly do you start taking it? It does not really say on the box. I'm going to sheepishly :oops: admit that I'm probably doing overkill this year. But, I am someone who gets sick ALOT after I fly. Last November a cold and complete laryngitis when I got home and trust me, many other instances as well. This flu season seems to be early and brutal. You can call me "chicken little" but I am going to do everything I possibly can to stay healthy this time. I already got the H1N1 vaccine and will get the seasonal flu vaccine next week. This is from someone who has never gotten a flu shot before. I think we all have reason to be worried this year. Being sick on vacation sucks.
Going "home" again October 26th!
weluvthebeach

No Chicken Little

Post by weluvthebeach »

we also have airborne to take on the trip, anti-bacterial hand lotion, taking vitamin C for two weeks before, etc. You are right, who wants to be sick on vacaction. That would really stink! So don't feel like you're being a wimp -- be vigilant, but not paranoid!

Cheers,
Beth & Mike
brenda

Post by brenda »

I don't consider myself paranoid. I work in healthcare and am exposed to a multitude of germs on a daily basis. Unfortunately, just had my second TB exposure in about a year. It just makes me very conscious of what can happen. One thing I am OCD about is handwashing. Always have been.
Going "home" again October 26th!
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

On our last trip in April, I purchased it in the airport and used it on the plane. Not sure whether it did any good, but I didn't get sick that trip :)
Boston Mike

Post by Boston Mike »

Actually there was an interesting story I seen on MSNBC last year. The stuff doesn't work and there was never any proof that it did work.
Life begins where the land ends!
MrB

Post by MrB »

I believe the story was that the claims in the adds and on the box were proven to not be true. They have both since changed.

I think the theory is that it's just a megadose of vit c, plus it carbonated to enter the system faster. There is surely other stuff you can take, but also don't deny the placbo effect.

Bottom line, whatever works for you!
Jo Ann - VA

Post by Jo Ann - VA »

I took it two days before my trip a on Oct. 30th. I forgot to take it for the trip home. Got home last Saturday and started with a cold yesterday (one week later). Feel like crap today :cry: Hubby started with a cold 4 days before mine. Does it work? Who knows.
Jo Ann
Always planning the next vacation...
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

On a flight I took a couple of weeks ago, I actually saw a couple of people on the plane with surgical masks. Not sure if they were sick or didn't want to be. I'm guessing the later. Most sick people don't care if they make others sick. I hate breathing that recirculated air on a plane and I hate worse to go to the bathroom after 150 people have been there before me. Men never put the seat down, and it's hard to kick it down with your foot in such tight quarters. I think planes are the germist places to be.

I think the best advice is to try to build up your immunity with lots of vitamin C plus a good multi vitamin, healthy diet with lots of fruit and veggies, and get plenty of rest before you fly. Use a hand sanitizer during the flight. Rubbing your eyes or nose can spread certain viruses and bacteria.
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

Boston Mike wrote:Actually there was an interesting story I seen on MSNBC last year. The stuff doesn't work and there was never any proof that it did work.
Good to know Boston Mike.

GG