United Breaks Guitars

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
California Girl

United Breaks Guitars

Post by California Girl »

Back story - this guy's guitar was ruined by United Airlines and he spent a year trying to get them to pay for it. So he created this video. United finally responded as this video grew in popularity. They paid him and they even wanted to use the video to train their baggage handlers!

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5YGc4zOqozo&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5YGc4zOqozo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

LOVED it! That was a musician's wife, who screamed "oh my GOD they're throwing GUITARS!!!" Takes one to know one LOLOL.
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Margo, thanks for sending a good laugh our way! I looked at part 2 and got a good laugh out of that too.

Luckily my husband doesn't check a guitar when we travel, and he doesn't have to travel for music work. He does have a travel guitar that he carries on and it always gets ALOT of attention from the airport security screeners.
Cid

Post by Cid »

Back in the 80's I traveled with my vintage Gibson SG on American. They had assured me that I could bring it as carry on. When I got to get on the plane, they told me I would have to check it. I explained that I would have chose a different mode of transportation had I known I would have to check my irreplaceable guitar. They had someone hand carry my guitar down on the tarmack and place it in the baggage compartment while I watched from the window above. They had a special tag on it, so the same procedure happened on the other end.

I have always marveled at the level of customer service I got on that trip. I've never heard of a similar story either. Maybe they took my drunk, stoned, disheveled look as "maybe he's famous". I could never figure it out.....
Still waiting to return to St. John!
http://facebook.com/cidsinclair
[/url]
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Times have changed. Twice, in the 60's, I carried large framed art aboard and they just put it in the coat closet during the flight. No problem, mon. Those were the daze! 8)
bubblybrenda

Post by bubblybrenda »

That is hilarious. I laughed the whole way through.
~Brenda~
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

fun stuff, thanks for posting
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

That's why I only bring a solid body electric...hard to hurt that bad boy.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Why did it take me so long to open this post? That is funny stuff
Cid

Post by Cid »

Pete (Mr. Marcia) wrote:That's why I only bring a solid body electric...hard to hurt that bad boy.
...and a cheap one at that!
Still waiting to return to St. John!
http://facebook.com/cidsinclair
[/url]
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

This got coverage in the Chicago Tribune awhile back. I was glad to see him finally get some attention from United after the video went viral.

The whole video is so funny. I love the part where he's sitting by the chalk outline of the guitar and someone brings him a cup of coffee, just like an accident scene.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Oh my gosh that was so funny! Thanks for sharing this.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:02 am.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.