Canon camera and waterproof housing question

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
sea-nile

Canon camera and waterproof housing question

Post by sea-nile »

My Canon WP-DC4 SD600 waterproof case leaked on my second day of diving. The camera appears to be ruined but the case seems OK. There was probably some debris that I didn't see when I closed the case.
Does anyone know if any newer models of the Canon powershot cameras fit in that case? Perhaps the SD1200IS? It looks like in the pictures online that the cases are exactly the same.
It was hard to not take any pictures for the second half of my trip! :( But, I did not let it ruin my good time!
cypressgirl

HI

Post by cypressgirl »

Are you all rested up? I'm ready to plan next year.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

I am ready Cyp! Let's plan.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Wounderwoman bought an Olympus UW camera/case in CA yesterday. Call us. Let's see if you can get the same deal from here.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Sea-nile...so sorry to hear that happened to you! I have the exact same powershot w/ underwater housing. Last year was my first attempt at using it and it went well all things considered. I was fastidious in all means of cleaning, caring and using the housing. I looked up what Canon claims you need for the SD 1200, and it is different:

Canon WP-DC29 Waterproof Case for SD1200IS Digital Elph Camera

If you look at Canon's website, they seem to require a different housing for each and every camera. I'm not surprised that they would change cases for newer models...just more revenue!

I just bought a g11 for my upcoming trip but will stick w/ the 600SD for underwater shots.

How old was your underwater housing. This will be my 2nd trip w/ original seal. I'm wondering if I ought to replace it? What do you think?
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

seanile - if all else fails, and the UW case is ok, check out buying a new SD600 on ebay. I'm surprised at how inexpensive used cameras are on ebay. So cheap, in fact, I gave my SD400 away rather than go to the trouble of trying to sell it.
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

Did you use a silicone gel to seal the openings? It is too bad about your camera. I am glad you didn't let it impact your vacation!

GG
Eric in NJ

Post by Eric in NJ »

I learned an important lesson last week. I was carrying my camera in a pocket, a Nikon Coolpix 18 and had the LCD facing out. I caught a door knob and cracked the screen. Second day into a vacation to Disney World. Took a cab to a Walmart and bought a new camera and found it very easy to make sure the LCD was up against my leg from there on out.
Eric in NJ

You never know where you're going till you get there.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

I did take care of the seal. I got the case in 2006, but used it a lot! I never replaced the O ring. We inspected it and it was fine. I probably used it for 45 dives and 100's of snorkels with the original seal.

I got an e-mail from Canon and the cases are not interchangable. I found the SD600 camera on Amazon for $500! I will get a new camera and case before I pay that. It is an old model. A great camera but not worth $500.
Thanks for your help everyone.
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Sea-nile...check this out!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-PowerShot-SD6 ... 500wt_1159

Its a SD600 on ebay, current bid $71...auction ends in a couple hours but that was a great suggestion from Cal. Girl!!!!!

It is NOT worth buying new, but ebay is a perfect solution!
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

sea-nile wrote:I did take care of the seal. I got the case in 2006, but used it a lot! I never replaced the O ring. We inspected it and it was fine. I probably used it for 45 dives and 100's of snorkels with the original seal.
Good...glad to hear that! Mine is only 1 yr old and used for one 10 day trip, so I'm hoping its all still good but will double check it soon!
California Girl

Carolyn, my UW case doesn't get much use, but occasionally I pull it out and lubricate the seal, just to make sure it doesn't dry out during storage. :)
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

I figured out that whai I probably did was let the strap to the flash deflector get caught in the seal. I was in a big hurry and didn't check it carefully. The case appears to be fine. So I order a used SD600 for $86.
California Girl

Good decision, seanile! If it doesn't work out, you haven't invested much and you can still go ahead and get the other new equipment. :)

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:42 pm.