holiday cooking

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Thank you Mary Beth. I thought I remembered Ghiaradelli.

Loria - I also found that recipe and that was Plan B.

Ok, off to the grocery store with everyone else who will be shopping like it's 1978.
janet
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

speaking of holiday cooking I'm making pickled red onions today. smells heavenly in here!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

did anyone roll their balls yet? ;)
what a mess this stuff was! anyone else experience this? i don't have truffles I have blobs! not sure these are fit for serving.
curious to see how others did.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

I may start mine today. I had a feeling it wouldn't be that simple.

I didn't have any Bailey's so I bought some of the less expensive stuff. I figured I didn't want to waste Bailey's if they turned out all wrong.

Maybe that's why they took down the web page; too many complaints :lol:
janet
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

just some tips before you start....from my experience.

I could not roll these in my hand. Too soft. Had the best experience when I just spooned out and dropped right in to the dusting mix. Once it had that dryness on it, it was easier to roll. Well roll is an overstatement .. more like manipulate in to some sort of shape.

If possible have whatever you plan to store them in handy and just go right from forming to storing.

I hope these set up in the fridge. If not I just think I have a mess on my hands!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I had the same experience with the rum ball recipe I posted last year. How cold was your mixture when you started rolling them, Mary Beth?
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

it was in the fridge for 24 hours.
California Girl

Well, that should be cold enough! I wonder if you could make them with a melon baller?
canucknyc

Post by canucknyc »

Mine were messy, but they did "roll". Ish. Dusted them (by dropping them in the coating and sprinkling it over, not by rolling them in the coating) and then refrigerated for another 24 hours; by the time we took them to the party last night they were firm enough to eat (but not solid). They were a big hit!
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

canucknyc wrote:Mine were messy, but they did "roll". Ish. Dusted them (by dropping them in the coating and sprinkling it over, not by rolling them in the coating) and then refrigerated for another 24 hours; by the time we took them to the party last night they were firm enough to eat (but not solid). They were a big hit!
That sounds promising.

I think I'll mix them up tonight, then try to roll them on Tuesday. I'm hoping to share them at a couple of Christmas get togethers this week.

Thanks for all the tips.
janet
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Ok - I finished up the truffles.

I refrigerated the mixture for 48 hours. I used a melon baller as CG suggested. I kind of plopped them into the coating and then rolled them like I do meatballs. They're not all uniform and some aren't quite round, but I think they'll be OK. Right now they're sitting on a baking sheet covered in the fridge.

Now that I have the hang of it and if the first group of friends survive, I may make another batch before Christmas. My BIL's will be so impressed.

All of your tips were very helpful.

One more tip - you probably don't want to make these (especially the rolling an coating part) while wearing a black cashmere sweater - just sayin'.
janet
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

jayseadee wrote:
One more tip - you probably don't want to make these (especially the rolling an coating part) while wearing a black cashmere sweater - just sayin'.
hahahahhahahahhaaa!

truffles aren't supposed to be uniform so it's all good. I checked on my in the fridge and they seem a little better. More firm. I want to try a batch with Cruzan rum cream and roll in coconut but not sure I will try this again. Maybe though.
California Girl

Oh man, MB... rum cream & coconut? Be still my heart!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

loria wrote:Does this sound Right?

Difficulty: 3 (1=easiest :: hardest=5)
Serves/Makes: 2 dozen

Ingredients:
12 ounces Semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1/4 cup Heavy cream
1 tablespoon Sweet Butter
2 Egg yolks
1/4 cup Baileys Irish Cream

Directions:

Melt chocolate, Baileys and heavy cream together over very low heat. Whisk in yolks, one at a time; mixture will thicken. Whisk in butter.

Refrigerate overnight, or until firm. With spoon make small balls. Roll in powdered sugar, cocoa, chopped nuts, sprinkles, etc.

This recipe from CDKitchen for Baileys Irish Cream Truffles serves/makes 2 dozen
I'm trying this method today with Cruzan Rum Cream. It's much thicker than the other batch I did.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

The jury is still out on the Truffles; they taste good, but don't look all that appetizing. I don't think we'll give these away. I'm having my family for cocktails next weekend, so I'll put them out for them. I think I may sprinkle with more powdered sugar.

On the other hand, the Spicy Bourbon Pecans came out great. Better than last year.

And the Spicy Orange Cashews are also very good.
janet