Post by California Girl »

Which shoes are best for walking/hiking to the following:

Salt Pond
Waterlemon
Honeymoon
Solomon
Reef Bay Trail
Any other places??

Can all of these be done in flip-flops (I'm thinking Reef Bay Trail requires sandals.)

Thanks!
Coden

Post by Coden »

CaGirl - I lived in my teva's for all of the beaches. I realized after stopping at our 1st beach, Big Lameshur, and not being able to walk on those BIG rocks with flip-flops, that I should never leave the house again w/o my teva's on. That way, if you make an impromptu stop at a beach, you are covered.

I also have a pair of Teva flip-flops and I wore those at night while going out and about.
Coden
KPlumm

Post by KPlumm »

When we took the guided Reef Bay hike, I wore running shoes and was glad I did. The ground can be quite uneven and since I am a klutz, I almost took a tumble down the mountain as soon as we started! :oops: I would have been in trouble with sandals. I have heard others say that sturdy Tevas are OK.

Karen
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

All but Reef can be done in flip flops.

Actually I will edit that to say sandals that do not have that rubber dealy that can break. Happened to Ms Promoguy but somehow I fixed it coming back from Waterlemon.
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

I, personally, would not do any of those hikes in flip flops for two reasons (one of which promoguy already mentioned). The other being an issue of support so you don't twist an ankle. I am sure they can be done, I just feel more comfortable with more support. Solomon can definitely be done if you are going from Caneel.

I have used my Tevas for all hiking in the past but will probably wear my Keens this time around. I feel like they give me a little extra support and protect my toes.

The thing I find with hiking in many areas is that when you are trying to maneuver over rocks, you want to be secure that your feet are not going to slip around in your shoes.

Also when you are going downhill, you are putting all of your weight and pressure on that one little strap between your toes.

I also find that when my flip flops get wet, my feet slip in them.

nothintolose
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Thanks you guys! When I said "sandals" I was thinking of a Teva type of shoe. :D
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Ron_L

Post by Ron_L »

I don't know if it's still going on, but Sports Authority around here had Teva on sale. I picked up a pair of the Men's Spoiler 4 (last year's model... I'm already out of style! :roll: ) for $25.
...ron

Time to start working on convincing the wife that we have to go back soon!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

CG, my advice to you is don't hike to any of those beaches (except maybe Honeymoon) in flip flops. You'll get a little blister in between your big toe and the second toe! Tevas would be great. We have gone in to Waterlemon in walking sneakers, but then we (well, John) has to carry in water to rinse off his feet before reapplying sneakers and socks (yes, the ocean is right there, no salt water is not good enough, yes, he is weird!)

The other problem with flip flops is that they don't give you enough support when you are scrambling over rocks. You could fall easily if you don't have the right support.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
JT

Post by JT »

I'd advise the Tevas or something similar. I live in Tevas the whole trip, though some folks find them inadequate for the Ram Head trail due to the possibility of brushing against small cacti on narrow parts of the trail. I've never even worn a pair of sneakers on STJ. Flip flops would be a pain in the neck for most folks,IMHO.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

I have a Teva water shoe that we designed for both in the water as well as on the shore.
They are great and very comfortable and dry out in no time. I wear them with an ankle nylon sport sock and I’m good to go - no matter where I go. Check them out.
Here is the link to the woman’s water shoes (http://www.teva.com/productslist.aspx?g ... 341&page=1 )
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
BasUR

Post by BasUR »

My Teva sandals give me more support but I just love my Teva flip flops. I have a pair of Tevas that are flip flops with a closed "big toe". They have pretty good traction too. I bought them from www.rei.com. They worked pretty well even when wet while hiking over to Little Cinnamon.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Pia

Post by Pia »

Alot of people on STJ wear these (Keen Newport H2) - I just tried on a pair as I need new hiking shoes and have ordered them :D

Pia

http://www.zappos.com/n/bs?q=keen+newport+h2
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED