snorkel warning and tip

Travel discussion for St. John
liamsaunt

snorkel warning and tip

Post by liamsaunt »

Warning: there is something in the water at haulover north that is stinging people right now. Too small to see, maybe someone can say what it is. I got stung on my head first and when I put my hand up to investigate my arm got stung. I ended up with about 40 welts on my arm-- it was pretty painful. John got stung on his back and foot. Other people were being stung too--it was a mass evacuation! My arm is still a little prickly and sore. Though it felt ok enough to snorkel again after an hour or so.

Tip: don't miss snorkeling at Great Lameshur. We swam all the way to tektite and back, which might be too far for some folks, but there is really great stuff along the left side, not too far out. We found multiple eagle rays and turtles, reef sharks, too much to type on my tiny iPod. Check it out and see for yourself!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
bevm

Post by bevm »

Becky , maybe it's those broken off tentacles that got Margo, Syd and Kellee...But it sounds like a larger area is involved. Margo said the welts stung but disappeared quickly...
Pia

Post by Pia »

Yes it could be that or it could be Sea Lice (also known as Sea Bathers Eruption)
I have included a few links to see if that is what the welts look like, but this usually happens under your bathing suit.

Pia

http://www.buysafesea.com/sea_lice.php
http://dermnetnz.org/arthropods/sea-bathers.html
Realtor - St John Properties
bevm

Post by bevm »

Wow! That one picture was nasty..
Captain John

Post by Captain John »

Pia wrote:Yes it could be that or it could be Sea Lice (also known as Sea Bathers Eruption)
I have included a few links to see if that is what the welts look like, but this usually happens under your bathing suit.

Pia

http://www.buysafesea.com/sea_lice.php
http://dermnetnz.org/arthropods/sea-bathers.html
I'm with Pia on this one.
Captain John

"I live the life I love and I love the life I live"
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

It sounds like it might be confined to Haulover North per Liamsaunt - anyone hearing about it at other beaches? Mosquitoes and no seeums like me and I am certain that I would be a prime candidate for these nasty things too! They always seem to find me!
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

:cry: We've encountered them a time or two in our many trips over the years. Not pleasant, thankfully they rarely appear during our trips.
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Not fun. I've encountered them many times in Florida. They weren't painful, but ooooh so itchy!!
janet
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

liamsaunt, Thank you for posting to keep us all informed. Hope to see you both at the BB on Sunday.
Bob & Anita
Wakey

Post by Wakey »

I think most people just get a small mark and it itches.

Best bet is to snorkel sans clothing :D
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

it was not itchy, at all. It hurt! It was a sharp stinging pain and it felt like there were little eletrical shocks going through my arm for a couple of hours. I can't see images on my iPod so am not sure if the pictures pia posted were accurate. It looked like poison ivy--raised white welts. But, it's 100 percent gone today.

Bob and Anita we are coming Sunday so see you then!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

Thanks for the tip! :D
djmom

Post by djmom »

I just googled some stuff...becuase almost always someone in our group gets stung by something. I know there are not supposed to be a lot of things out there...but our kids are in the water for probably 7 hours a day...so odds are...

Anyways, very interesting. It might be your instinct to pour some water, say out of a water bottle on it. Or ice. But apparently fresh water causes the stingers of many of these species to swell and lodge in.

So not a good idea to pour water on it. Pee or vinegar. Anyone else try anything that works?
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

We experienced slight stinging sensations occasionally even at Gibney when the water was very calm. We couldn't see any evidence of jellies so Pia's info must be the explanation. We were there in mid-late April and the stinging was not as intense as Liamsaunt describes. It makes sense that if they are the larva that as the summer progresses they'd get more intense.
John LMBZ06

Post by John LMBZ06 »

This may be a type of small jellyfish sting. Since they are transparent and may be very small, you may not be able to see them. I know that "sea lice" is said to be jellyfish larva, but they do not give a sharp sting, more of just a rash and usually only around your bathing suite area.