Off STJ shore snorkeling

Travel discussion for St. John
jmq

Off STJ shore snorkeling

Post by jmq »

Good morning
Read about some supposedly great snokeling to be had off the north shore of STJ at Carval Rock and Grass and Mingo Cays.

Anybody been there and with whom i.e. which daysailers routinely go there? How is it? (clarity, current, reefs, critters, better for diving vs snorkeling etc.)

Thanks.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
bert

Post by bert »

The snorkeling is very good at the North Shore cays (Congo, Mingo, Lovengo) and at Carvel rock. However, it's also good right off the North Shore beaches: Waterlemon Cay, Cinnamon Cay, Trunk Cay, Hawksnest reefs. These off-shore locations are really better for scuba than for snorkeling. I always see lobsters, octopus, turtles and an occasional shark while diving Carvel rock. But for snorkeling, it's not necessary to go to the trouble of chartering or renting a boat when you can have an equivilent eperience right off shore.

Haulover East is great for shore diving. Just walk right in (please avoid stepping on the coral) and the reef plunges to 40 feet right off shore, with a lot of critters and great healthy coral.

Any of the island operators will go to the offshore cays if conditions are right. If there is a storm in the north-east US, there will be swells on the North Shore that will churn it up and reduce visibility. In that case the South Shore will be calm.

peace.... bert
SuefromMA

Do I detect a future trip??

Post by SuefromMA »

Hey, jmq!

Hmmm.....

Based on the detailed question - am I hearing plans in the works for a future visit??