Gromit's 20 "Insider" (not really) Tips for Newbie

Travel discussion for St. John
Gromit

Gromit's 20 "Insider" (not really) Tips for Newbie

Post by Gromit »

I was pulling together my tips list for my family members traveling with us in June. ONe is a Newbie and the other has only been once but we were with her all the way to STJ.

I figured there are folks out there who might find these helpful as well.

If not, that's OK too 8)

Gromit's 20 "insider" (not really) tips for a smooth trip to STJ

1) When you arrive at the airport get your luggage (yes this will seem like it takes forever) and head outside. Tell a taxi captain (you’ll be able to tell who he his) where you want to go and how many people you have in your party. If you have a large quantity of bags tell him that too. He’ll tell you gruffly to wait and do just that. Don’t get pissy or impatient. They will get you taken care of as quickly as possible.

2) You need to have an idea of the ferry schedule and where you want to get the ferry (Charlotte Amalie or CA – pronounced Amalyuh, or Red Hook, RH) I personally like CA because it’s a shorter cab ride and a longer ferry ride. That’s just my preference. But if you’ve got folks who get seasick easily then take the cab to Red Hook. Although the roads are curvy enough that you may feel as if you’re on a boat!

a. In order to minimize wait time on STT you’ll need to take a quick look at the ferry schedule (above) and the time on your watch. If it’s close, ask the taxi captain if he thinks you can make it in time. To get to Red Hook from the Airport it takes about 30 minutes. To get to CA from the Airport takes about 5 minutes.

3) Don’t tell the taxi driver how to pack. They do this all the time and he/she will just get annoyed.

4) Try to have small bills to pay the taxi (plan on $15-$20 to CA –More if you’re going to Red Hook) and the ferry ($11.50 for each of you- $5.00 for Red Hook)) when you get there.

5) Let the ferry guys do their thing. I see so many people get stressed out about their bag system. But I have never known anyone to not get their bags. As always though I would keep money and jewelry with me at all times. Anything that doesn’t look like a suitcase can be carried on. If it looks like a suitcase you’ll have to pay extra for it to go on the ferry with the other luggage. That’s just the way it is.

6) When you get on the ferry you need to decide whether to sit on the top or bottom. Keep in mind it gets really hot up top and you can get sunburned if you aren’t careful.

7) Before your plane lands, take a moment to put on some SPF 15 or higher sunscreen. You may have to wait a while for the ferry and I guarantee that you will burn if you don't have any on.

8) Make sure that you each have a bottle of water with you when you arrive-- you'll probably need it. Just grab one at your layover airport and keep it with you.

9) Wear shorts and warm weather clothing-- I don't care what the temperature is at home-- don't wear long pants or jeans or you will be hot.

10) Have an umbrella or lightweight poncho just in case it rains. Usually rain showers are short lived, but you can get soaked if you aren't prepared.

11) Have a hat handy.

12) Don’t forget the bug spray!

13) Drive on the LEFT. Don’t get pissy when a local stops their car in front of you to have a conversation with a friend on the sidewalk. Go around if you can or be patient. Never honk your horn in anger on island. It isn’t done.

14) When on the hairpin/blind turns give a “beep, beep” before you head around. This warns someone else that you’re coming. Likewise listen out for someone else honking from the other direction.

15) Don’t touch the coral. Don’t stand on the coral. Don’t take coral souvenirs home. Be especially mindful of fire coral - Which can be painful.

16) NEVER, NEVER, NEVER leave unattended food on the beach while snorkeling. Your wallet is genrally safe – as there is almost no crime on STJ – but the Mongoosedem (STJ plural for Mongoose) will have a field day with your lunch while you are snorkeling and looking at fishies. It’s very entertaining for your beach mates to watch the Mongoosedem tag team and take turns digging in your bag, but a pain when you have to drive back into town for another sandwich. BTW the mongoosedem are responsible for the lack of snakes on STJ, so we like them!

17) DON’T LEAVE VALUABLES IN AN OPEN VEHICLE. This is inviting trouble. While crime is very low on island, youknowwhat still happens. Don’t invite trouble. Lock your stuff up or take it with you.

18) Don’t expect things to be what they are at home. STJ has its own pace. Be a lover, not a hater. Embrace the pace. Slow down. After all, you’re on vacation. Try to tip well. Just to make ends meet on island most folks have to work several jobs.

19) SUPER IMPORTANT TIP. When dealing with locals and local businesses ALWAYS look them in the eye, smile and say “good morning/day/evening” before getting down to business and asking for what you want, otherwise they WILL make you wait or won’t answer your questions. There, a smile and a courteous greeting goes a long way!

20) Get ready to have some fun!
Last edited by Gromit on Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
Pia

Post by Pia »

Love it :)
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

one I learned from Pia
let locals pass on Centerline when possible :)

we got several nice waves for doing that last week :lol:
byado18

Post by byado18 »

Great reminders to ensure a delightful time on the island for all!
54b

Perfect Timing

Post by 54b »

My wife and I leave for STJ on Sunday and about the only thing I haven't gotten smart on his the arrival...weI arrive at 1:30 and will probably head to Red Hook to catch the 3pm.

We're actually hoping we have a bit of a wait for the ferry as we'd like to go get a drink at Duffy's or one of the other bars nearby.

Can you make some suggestions and walk me through what we should do from the time we depart the cab to the the time we actually board the ferry?

Do you drop your non-carry on bags off and then go to the bar? Or should we grab a drink first and then go to the dock to buy tickets?

Please advise and thank you for the great list.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
bevm

Post by bevm »

There's a bar right in the new terminal! So you can just hang there if you don't want the worry of leaving the luggage.
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

Embrace the pace. I love that!
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

Great tips, Gromit!

One I'd add is that if you're in town to be sure and cover up from the beach. It's not acceptable to walk around in your bikini top or topless for guys. Fine at the beach but not in town.

Also, it's okay to drink and drive as long as you have your seat belt on - always have your seat belt on!
NancyB
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Good points Nancy--

I distinctly remember my first visit to STT, passing my friends roommate on the way down from Drakes Seat. Randy was his name. Anyway we passed Randy, who would always travel with a "greenie" (aka. Heiniken) wedged in his crotch and a joint hanging from the side of his mouth, but never with his seatbelt on. Anyway we passed and waved and in the rearview mirror behind us we saw flashing lights and the police pulled him over.

My friend, being an attorney, stopped and watched in the rearview mirror nervously as the cops totally ignored the beer and the joint and gave him a warning for not wearing his seatbelt!

(of course I am in no way condoning any of these illegal activities 8)- just sayin'...)
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

My tip is that tips #1 through #6 are some of the reasons we always rent a car at the airport on STT :)
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
LMG

Post by LMG »

Nice!

I made a little list like this for someone I traveled with last year. Said person did all of this well, but still did not "get it." Little did I know I should have started their list with "CHILL THE EFF OUT."

Ah, memories. :)
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

LMG-- One year some newbies that we took down kept telling us that they were surprised at how hot it was and how sunny (and not in a good way for them).

I was like, "people, you are 18 degrees off the equator. We are in the Caribbean. Hot is the point!"
RickG

Post by RickG »

LMG wrote:Nice!

I made a little list like this for someone I traveled with last year. Said person did all of this well, but still did not "get it." Little did I know I should have started their list with "CHILL THE EFF OUT."

Ah, memories. :)
The first rule of St. John is NO WHINERS.

Oh, and Gromit, I've noticed in the last year that the rental car companies don't want you to drink your beer while you fill out the paper work for the vehicle rental. I got yelled at twice in the last 12 months for that.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Gee Rick-- ya think? 8)

I hope Vicki is writing this one down....
dhanc1

Post by dhanc1 »

Like the tips but might not down play the crime aspect too much. I've never been uncomfortable on island but as a subscriber to the Tradewinds it sounds like crime may be on the uptick. We always stay at Gallows and walk into town for dinner etc at night. I'm considering taking the taxi back to Gallows to avoid the long dark stretch past the graveyard. Again, I've never had a bit of trouble but it always pays to be careful, especially late at night.