Catamaran Trip Report - Part 5

Travel discussion for St. John
California Girl

Catamaran Trip Report - Part 5

Post by California Girl »

Catamaran Trip Report – Part 5

Friday 5/1

We woke up at 7 a.m. on Friday morning in Little Harbour on Jost Van Dyke and it was so beautiful & peaceful.

SIDNEYS PEACE & LOVE

We managed to get off the mooring and leave for St. John by about 7:30 or 8:00.

Bye-bye Jost!

Here’s another video that you may have already seen when I posted it a week or so ago. Pickle & Gromit… I don’t think this one is as barfy as the other one (well maybe…remember I’m an amateur!) Feel free to take a Dramamine before you watch :lol:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J3C6PMwu69w&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J3C6PMwu69w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

When we got to St. John, we moored at Caneel again. The charter companies, don’t allow you to take boats into Cruz Bay, because there are too many ferries, and too many boats.

Can you believe we saw donkeys from the boat? There were about 6 or 8 of them walking along a path on the cliff approximately below where Estate Lindholm is. I don’t think it was the Lind Point Trail, but just a donkey path. Looking at this picture makes me so happy that rain finally came to St. John, mosquitos or not!

Peace Hill Ruins (?)

We took the tender over to Cruz Bay, tied up at the little dock by the ferry and walked over to check-in at Customs & Immigration. After we were duly processed back into the United States, our first stop was Connections. Kellee had bagged up a bunch of her clothes in a giant ziplock bag (cue: Vicki :lol: ) to send home so she didn’t have to carry so much on her return flight. At Connections they had a box and tape and all the stuff needed to ship her stuff for her. It was so great! Those ladies are the BEST!

While Kellee was shipping her bag of clothes, I wandered around and took some pictures. Of course I had to get a chicken picture for Ruth (not that she doesn’t know every chicken in Cruz Bay by first name! LOL!) Which one is this, Ruth? :lol:

From Connections, we headed over to Palm Jewelers to see if I could get my hook bracelet sized, but they couldn’t do it (like every other jeweler has told me) because of the Larimar inlay in it. Oh well, that’s life. From Palm Jewelers we went to Freebird, and Kellee, Rick & I all got new hook bracelets. I don’t have pictures of those, sorry. Rick and Kellee each got a petroglyph and I got a branch (looks like coral) that’s sooo beautiful!

After dropping a week’s pay in Freebird, we went up to St. John Spice and I melted down my credit card buying presents for everyone at home. I swear, my friends make out SO GOOD when I go to St. John!! For myself I got a pound of Kiss of the Jumbie coffee, and a big tin lizard for the wall at home. I love those brightly painted tin critters!

That’s MY lizard hanging in front of the window! It now resides happily in my living room!

This was the first chance I had to get our pictures from Monday and the pole dance video posted on the forum. I gave my flash key to Ruth and she was kind enough to upload them for me. Thanks Ruth!

ST. JOHN SPICE BALCONY VIEW

After our St. John Spice shopping expedition and a nice chat with Ruth & Ron, we headed to Mongoose Junction to get some lunch at Deli Grotto and do a little more shopping.

Keith & Sydney & I got the Pink Cadillac, Rick got a Caesar Salad, Kellee got the artichoke & turkey Panini with a curry chicken salad, and Syd also got a Jumbie Square. After the fact, I sorta wish I’d gotten one too! They look like giant Eagle Brand Magic Cookie Bars! Of course, lunch was awesome as usual. I love Deli Grotto! While we were eating we noticed a couple over in the corner with guide books, maps and all sorts of things. They seemed to be speaking German. (more to come on this!)

The classic "boys waiting for the girls who are shopping" picture! LOL!

While Sydney & Kellee were in one of the shops, I popped upstairs to say “hi” to Pia and Les, but neither of them were there. The people in the office said Les would be in around 4:00 and Pia had just left for someplace – off-island, I think. I was bummed, but I consoled myself with a Painkiller from Gecko Gazebo. OMG!! I almost couldn’t drink it because it was so strong! I watched the bartender make it and he filled the glass 3/4 full of Pusser’s Rum and then poured the juice in! :shock: Some people might like that, but for me it was toooo strong. I didn’t drink the whole thing. :roll:

Now it was time to head back to the boat. As we walked back up toward the ferry dock, we stopped at Nature’s Nook to get some ice, and I noticed Inner Visions' van parked next to the stand. I don’t know if they were playing on-island or not, but they sure do have a cool van!

Have you ever noticed this power pole near Customs & Immigration? If you can guess how many staples are in it you win a free trip to St. John! (not really) :lol:

Once back on the boat, we headed to Leinster Bay to moor for the night. We just kicked back, swam a little, but didn’t snorkel. I got stung again, so I didn’t stay in the water long. What’s up with this stinging stuff? It’s not terrible, but it’s really annoying!

ANNABERG SUGAR MILL RUINS

WATERLEMON CAY

RICK & SYDNEY PICKING UP A MOORING BALL

Tonight’s dinner was leftovers!! Since tomorrow would be our last day on the boat, we needed to clear out the fridge. Keith and I each had the left-over burgers from last night, Rick ate the leftover wings from Pusser’s, Kellee ate her leftover chicken curry salad from lunch, and Sydney had the last two enchiladas! It was all really good!

We just hung out and didn’t do much. We kept trying to get online, but Kellee couldn’t get a connection on her AT&T card so we looked around for someone else’s unsecured wifi to piggyback on! I know, that’s bad, but we were desperate to see what everyone on the forum had to say about the video! LOL! There was a beautiful sailboat moored near us called “The Big Dog” and we could get on their signal sporadically. Imagine our surprise when we saw the people on The Big Dog on their deck…. it was the German couple from Deli Grotto! Kellee recently found them online and they do charters out of the BVI. No wonder they had all their maps & books out, they were probably planning the next trip. I could have lived on that boat! We never really did get a connection good enough to get online, but later, after we all went to bed, Kellee was able to get a signal in her cabin, which, ironically was the closest point to The Big Dog. The next morning we were able to get a signal again long enough to read the replies and we laughed our butts off!!

The sunset was absolutely stunning this night! (Sunsets for your collection sea-nile! :D )

CariBert

Post by CariBert »

Once again, great stories and pictures, CG. I have a request, I am leaving for St. John on July 6....could you please stretch the trip report out so I can read the last installment as I'm boarding the plane?

Thanks, I knew you could do it!!

Keep em coming!

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

gobucs

Post by gobucs »

Loving them as usual :D :D :D
Cant wait for the Next
I wonder what those were that was stinging you? I got stung swiming out to the cay at waterlemon but didnt see anything
I just assumed it was a Jelly- Hmmmm (Creepy) :shock:
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

gobucs wrote:Loving them as usual :D :D :D
Cant wait for the Next
I wonder what those were that was stinging you? I got stung swiming out to the cay at waterlemon but didnt see anything
I just assumed it was a Jelly- Hmmmm (Creepy) :shock:
I think they are Stinging Nettles, or baby jellies, too small to see and some folks are more sensitive to the sting than others. Some people don't even know they've been stung.

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

LMG

Post by LMG »

Those sunset photos are the best thing I've seen ALL DAY.

Thanks for another fun installment! You know the drill... keep posting... don't end it... lie to me...

:)
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Yes, the video was better for my stomach (thanks for the warning anyway) - I almost felt like I could be on the catamaran myself... almost.

I wonder what kept stinging you in the water. Maybe hugo has an idea... (?)

Those sunset photos are absolutely beautiful, CG. I'm leaving for the island tomorrow morning, so I'll look for the rest of your report when I get back. It's been a pleasure following your sailing log!
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

Margo,
That chicken's name is Ed.

- Ruth

P.S. That's short for Edwina.
Last edited by StJohnRuth on Fri May 22, 2009 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
California Girl

StJohnRuth wrote:Margo,
That chicken's name is Ed.

- Ruth
Ruth, you're killin' me! :lol: :lol:
California Girl

Pickle wrote: I wonder what kept stinging you in the water. Maybe hugo has an idea... (?)
I'm sure whatever it was, stinging nettles or tentacle pieces, it was somehow connected to the algae because I've never experienced that before on STJ!
Pickle wrote: Those sunset photos are absolutely beautiful, CG. I'm leaving for the island tomorrow morning, so I'll look for the rest of your report when I get back. It's been a pleasure following your sailing log!
Not much left, but it'll be waiting here for you when you return! Have an absolutely awesome time! :D
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I can't believe it's almost over! You're gonna have to shart making up some stuff to keep this puppy going...
*Another fine scatterbrained production
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

Those last two sunset pictures a nothing but fantastic. I can't imagine how beautilful it must have been in the reality.

Thanks for sharing the trip again. We could use a report like this every day.
California Girl

Hey, if you guys want to pool your money and send me back to St. John, I'll be happy to post daily trip reports! :lol:
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

California Girl wrote:Hey, if you guys want to pool your money and send me back to St. John, I'll be happy to post daily trip reports! :lol:
Well......I have to think about that :lol:. It might affect the possibility to go there on my own. Is it November yet?
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Another great installment! I like seeing the ruins from the water. I love Deli Grotto too, yum!
Image[/url]
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

Ahhhhh ~ Great start to the long weekend!
Happy Memorial Day ya'll!
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]