Catamaran Trip Report - Part 2

Travel discussion for St. John
California Girl

Catamaran Trip Report - Part 2

Post by California Girl »

Monday, 4/27 – We woke up around 6:30 am. Waking up early seems to be as natural on a boat as going to bed early does. Keith and Sydney always beat Kellee and Rick & me up in the morning, however. Those two worked so hard to show us newbies a good time! So much appreciated!!! You can tell that both Sydney and Keith are doing what they love, and they do it with such expertise!

This morning we had bagels & cream cheese (or peanut butter or jam or all three!), with some yummy Pecan coffee that Sydney brought from Canada. Even Rick, who doesn’t normally like flavored coffees, liked it! There’s something about breakfast at 7 am on a catamaran in Caneel Bay that makes everything taste better somehow! The island is so quiet and the birds and turtles are just waking up. I’m lovin’ this!

HONEYMOON BEACH

SALOMON BEACH

Once we got everything ship-shape, we headed over to Maho Bay to pick up our “day-sailors” Bevm, Crash and their friends Carolyn & Griff, who had just gotten engaged the night before. Keith & Sydney moored the boat and Keith took the tender into shore and picked everyone up.

LEAVING CANEEL

CRASH, GRIFF & CAROLYN ARRIVE

BEV ARRIVES

CAROLYN'S ENGAGEMENT RING

It was an incredibly FUN day!! We sailed from Maho Bay over to Leinster Bay and Waterlemon Cay. Sydney, Kellee, Crash, Bev, Carolyn and I all got into the water. I opted not to swim over to the Cay because I had had a little too much rum (or too many Jello shots!), but Sydney, Kellee & Steve snorkeled over and saw a few good things including starfish, assorted Southern stingrays, and an Eagle ray, in spite of murky, algae-filled water. Bev, Carolyn & I hung out in the water on noodles, again and talked and talked and got to know each other. Carolyn said something bit her so she got out of the water, and sure enough, she had a couple of little red marks on her thigh. They went away fairly quickly, and we still don’t know what it was.

Once everyone was back on the boat, we set to some epic partying! Bev & Carolyn brought a 7-layer dip, a big bag of those wonderful blue corn chips and JELLO SHOTS! And we already had 2 coolers full of soft drinks and beer and several bags of chips.

I am proud to say that I am no longer a jello shot virgin, and even Rick, my non-drinker, was de-flowered! Of course, Kellee’s pole dance and Crash’s full moon to the Caneel Ferry are famous now!! If you haven’t seen the video of Kellee’s pole dance, click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoGE6DxtBMA

Kellee re-designed her Forum t-shirt with help from Bev & Crash, who ended up with some fine blue fashion accessories!

We laughed our butts off and had one of the best times ever that day!! Somewhere along the way we thought it was a good idea to feed the seagulls! If we held up bits of bread just right, they would snatch it out of your fingers on the fly!

As the day began to turn from afternoon into evening we headed back over to Maho to drop off Bev & Crash and Carolyn & Griff.

BYE YOU GUYS! WE HAD FUN!

We stayed in Maho Bay that night and I edited a few pictures for the forum and put them plus Kellee’s video on a flash key to upload the next time we had Internet access. We had chicken wraps for dinner and hit the sack about 8:30.
Last edited by California Girl on Thu May 14, 2009 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
jclampet

Post by jclampet »

Thanks CG the pictures are really great, and the stories make them complete....
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Keep 'em coming!!
*Another fine scatterbrained production
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

I'm really feeling this! I can't imagine what it's like to actually sleep on the boat, in the dark, and wake up to all the sights and sounds that most of us never observe that time of day, from our villa decks.

Just love it. :D
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I waited to read this over lunch listening to my island play list :) Sounds like fun!
Impressed with Bev and her private tender ride ;)
California Girl

cypressgirl wrote:I'm really feeling this! I can't imagine what it's like to actually sleep on the boat, in the dark, and wake up to all the sights and sounds that most of us never observe that time of day, from our villa decks.

Just love it. :D
At night, the boat rocked gently (nothing that would give you motion sickness) and the breeze gently blew across you. And you could hear the water lap gently against the sides of the boat, so it was no trick getting to sleep. (Take this from me, the insomniac!) One of the best parts actually was getting up in the morning to the quiet. At times it was like we were the only people in the whole world that were awake. Everything was fresh and clean and the day was like a new slate to write wonderful memories on. :D

I just love it, too!
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

Ahhhhh yes, my introduction to the VI's in 1993, was aboard a 46 foot Grand Banks (power boat) for a week. That was all it took, I've been back every chance I get now. I konw what the "boat life" is, and it is indeed wonderful. I keep threatening to do a 50/50 Land/Water trip, but just can never quite get it together.

Great stuff, CG! Keep it coming!

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

Boston Mike

Post by Boston Mike »

Man I am loving this report. BRAVO!

Question?

Noticed a few empty jello shot containers in that bag. Riddle me this batman.

This was due to
a. Bev slamming a few down on the way to the boat
b. No place else to put them
c. you all had a few too many and gave it a break
d. just didn't want them to blow away
e. My answers are way off base.
:lol:
Life begins where the land ends!
California Girl

Boston Mike wrote:Man I am loving this report. BRAVO!

Question?

Noticed a few empty jello shot containers in that bag. Riddle me this batman.

This was due to
a. Bev slamming a few down on the way to the boat
b. No place else to put them
c. you all had a few too many and gave it a break
d. just didn't want them to blow away
e. My answers are way off base.
:lol:
All of the above, except for "a" and "e" LOL! :lol: We did have some left over and they lasted a day or two, but all shots were eventually consumed! :)
Boston Mike

Post by Boston Mike »

From the looks of it Bev may have to open her own little jello shot carts......pssss I'm looking for a job Bev :wink:
Life begins where the land ends!
cruiserkcs

Post by cruiserkcs »

I am really enjoying your trip reports. I want to do a vacation on a catamaran, but haven't convinced my husband yet. We love being on the water, but he thinks it will be too cramped. Another problem is that we know no one else who wants to take this type of vacation (at least that we want to spend a week on a boat with :)) I don't know if it would work to spend a week on a boat with two strange couples. You would have to hope that you REALLY ended up liking them since it is such close quarters. And, we can't afford to charter a boat for just the two of us.
linne

Post by linne »

I still enjoy reading your TR.

Linne
nancyg

Post by nancyg »

We were at maho monday april 27th. We must have seen you guys, but didn't realize it. Or maybe I was the one swimming after the dingy yelling wait for me. It sounds like you had a great time. I would love to do a trip like this sometime.

Nancy
California Girl

cruiserkcs - A couple of years ago this trip wasn't anything we ever would have imagined we would do. We met Sydney & Keith and Kellee here on the forum. We met in person two years ago on STJ and spent a day on Syd & Keith's boat, then I also spent a weekend with Kellee at Jazz Fest in New Orleans, so we all knew we liked each other. Maybe if you form friendships here on the forum, you would find someone to share a boat with. None of us really felt "cramped" (except in the head!) and there was enough space to get away from each other if you really wanted to.

nancyg - Were you situated in the middle of the beach? We saw a group there and thought maybe it was Bev & Crash, but realized it wasn't later on. In the meantime, though, I was waving like a maniac! :D
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

It's so refreshing to see the photos taken on or from the water. I don't think I can ever go sailing (how sad is that?), not for that long anyway - I'm cursed with an awful case of motion sickness. Thanks to your reports, I can feel what it would be like to stay and float on the water. Can't wait to hear more!