Heading home today :(

Travel discussion for St. John
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

The down side of a perfect vacation is that it always comes to an end, but there will be a next time, I'm sure. I can't wait to hear all about it.

I'm kind of thinking SOTB IV ought to do a big catamaran trip in 2010. Time to start planning. :lol:
Pianogrl

Post by Pianogrl »

Have a safe trip home.....thanks for sharing all your on-island times with us while you were there!

Can't wait to read your trip report & see some more pics!
djmom

Post by djmom »

Margo, is that at the departure or arrival liquor store? Ned is having a cow here.

He is very set in his ways and this messes up his well planned schedule.
:roll:
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
djmom

Post by djmom »

by the way, I am glad you had fun and made it to the airport safely.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
samoka

Post by samoka »

Sounds like you got a perfect day to leave - better than arriving in that weather - can't wait to hear/read everyone's trip reports - soundslike you all had a blast - samoka
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

Sounds like you had a blast! I'm a bit behind so I'll have to go back and read your posts. Can't wait to live vicariously thru you guys! :)
kellyanna

Post by kellyanna »

Yay, me...I'm delayed in Miami for 2 extra hours. Just long enough to miss my connecting flight from DFW to Little Rock.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Here I sit in my livingroom in California catching up on last weeks' American Idol, while doing a "Marcia (Mrs. Pete) sized" pile of laundry and going through a pile of junk mail almost as big. I haven't had the guts to open my e-mail yet!! :lol:

We had good flights home. Cape Air is a trip!! Fortunately the rain let up before we departed and I got some cool pictures of STT and St. Croix from the air. We had an almost immediate connection in Houston, so we didn't have to wait more than maybe 15 min. The last leg of the flight to California was greuling for me. Flight was good, but I was dead tired after waking up at 5:30 a.m. and being cramped into a way too small ailine seat and not being able to sleep made me sort of cranky. But we landed on time (10:40 pm Calif time - 1:40 am STJ time). But we got our luggage & shuttle to the long-term parking in record time and were flying home on the freeway averaging 75 - 80 mph the whole way. Our normal time between San Juan Capistrano & LAX, which is usually an hour in good traffic only took 45 min. We practically had the road to ourselves.

As soon as I can get organized, etc. I'll get the trip report going. What a great time!

djmom - As to the package store, I'm talking about the new one inside the terminal. They had a fairly good selection of liquor, I guess, but many, many empty shelves. I'd say they had about 2 or 3 bottles of most liquors, but it was a pretty sad display. And if I were you, I would buy my liquor elsewhere to get much better prices. I wrapped my bottle of Cruzan Mango in my dirty laundry and placed it in the center of my duffle bag and it made it home in tact! I guess it depends on how much you want to bring home, but I could easily have gotten my allowed 6 ltrs. in my duffle bags.

And speaking of duffle bags, a lot of our clothes were wet when I unpacked this morning from the bags having to go thru so much rain!! I saw some people who had put trash bags over their luggage... good idea!

California Girl

kellyanna wrote:Yay, me...I'm delayed in Miami for 2 extra hours. Just long enough to miss my connecting flight from DFW to Little Rock.
What a bummer, Kellee! You just didn't have the greatest luck with flights, did you! Hope you're home safe n' sound now! :D

Missing you and Syd & Keith, Bev & Crash already!!
bevm

Post by bevm »

I'm so happy to hear you got home O.K. Crash sent you a text when we were at Maho. When you didn't answer I got worried. I hope Kellee got home safely, too?? Miss you guys too! You're the best!! Love you!!
California Girl

Bev, my phone died! I forgot to plug it in & charge it at your villa...in fact it's still on the charger! LOL!

That road was bad, but not as harrowing as I thought it'd be with the way the rain was pouring down! Hey! We finally saw those "waterfalls" on St. John that people ask about! LOL! Tons of water pouring down on Centerline! We took it real slow and easy and I was glad we had planned extra travel time to begin with!

Tell Crash I really want to thank him for leading us down the hill. He knew I was worried, even when I protested that I was only "concerned" - he's a good read of body language! I bet he had fun 4-wheelin' back up the road, though! :lol:

Thanks again for everything! We had such a blast!!! :D
kellyanna

Post by kellyanna »

I'm home!

I miss everyone. What an amazing vacation!

Bev & Crash, thank you so much!

Even though I probably drove Margo bonkers as she was driving on STJ, she was an awesome driver! Thank you for driving, Margo!
California Girl

kellyanna wrote:I'm home!

I miss everyone. What an amazing vacation!
Glad to hear you're home & not sitting in some airport somewhere! LOL!
kellyanna wrote:Even though I probably drove Margo bonkers as she was driving on STJ, she was an awesome driver! Thank you for driving, Margo!
What do you mean? You don't always have white knuckles from holding onto the "granny handle"?
RickG

Post by RickG »

California Girl wrote:
kellyanna wrote:Even though I probably drove Margo bonkers as she was driving on STJ, she was an awesome driver! Thank you for driving, Margo!
What do you mean? You don't always have white knuckles from holding onto the "granny handle"?
I picture Kellee wearing a Natalie Portman-esque Garden State-style helmet and keening as Margo whips around those wet corners.

Don't let Kellee drive!

Cheers, RickG

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:43 pm.
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI