Boarding pass question when checking a bag

Travel discussion for St. John
jmq

Boarding pass question when checking a bag

Post by jmq »

Maybe it’s been asked before, but looking for an update…

If you have a bag to check at STT, and you print your boarding passes before you get to the airport, do you still have to go up to the airline counter to get the bag tagged for the airport you are returning to?? If so, seems like preprinting the passes makes the most sense for carry on only.

OR, if you do have your preprinted pass, can your bag be tagged over in the security line or bag screening area or by using a kiosk?? Thanks.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
John LMBZ06

Post by John LMBZ06 »

I just use the kiosk and avoid the line. The boarding pass you print off will have a bar code on it and the kiosk has a bar code scanner on it. When you print out the boarding pass at home, it will ask you how many bags. Then they usually have a separate line for you to just bring your bags up to them. I find that it does save me a bunch of time.
Also, the system knows when you printed your boarding pass. I was on a flight that they were bumping passengers off of and they were going on when you were checked in. The last to check in were the ones they were bumping off.
jmq

Post by jmq »

John - I get how that works here, but does it apply specifically to STT where things can work a little differently? (and you would have to take the time to go someplace like Connections in Cruz Bay to get it printed)
tjwgrr

Post by tjwgrr »

Print your boarding pass ahead of time, then use a porter for your bags and head directly to security and customs for screening. Costs a few bucks, but it allows you to avoid the line at the counter.
Pia

Post by Pia »

There are a few ways you can do it...........

1) Hire a porter (for a fee) who will print the bag tags for you

2) Use the kiosk but as far as I know AA is the only airline with a kiosk and it is not always working

3) Stand in line for the counter staff to tag them

You have to do it before you enter Customs and Immigration and there is no facility available to do it once through the doors.

Pia
jmq

Post by jmq »

Thanks Pia - if the check in line is long, good know that AA has a kiosk and if that is not working, that the porter can print the bag tags.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Also, if you plan on using a porter there is no need to print your boarding passes as he will print them for you as well as tag your bags :)

Pia