smoking question

Travel discussion for St. John
pegoode

smoking question

Post by pegoode »

I'm looking at villas for our first time on St. John. It looks like at this point we'll be needing 5 bedrooms/5 baths for the 8 adults in the group. I've found a few villas that look promising that are available during our time frame - La Papaya, Vistaero, Casa de Suenos. Any feedback on any of these properties is greatly appreciated. I also have a general question about smoking policies. A member of our group is a cigar smoker but never smokes inside. When the villa information states "this is a non-smoking villa", does that mean the entire property is non-smoking or just that smoking is not allowed inside the villa? Thanks for your help.
Pam

[/url]
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I am sure there will be lots of strong opinions of this subject :)

We rented a non-smoking villa. We had one smoker in the group and several who are known to smoke cigars when the vacation mode/booze hits them. All of these people are outside smokers.

Because we knew no one would smoke in the house, near an open window and that there were no neighbors who might be bothered by second hand smoke, we rented it knowing we would violate the rule.

(I am a bada** like that, I also drink bottled beer on the beach.)

When we checked in, I asked the greeter about the policy and he laughed at me and told me not to worry about it, that no one followed the rule and "by the way, the ashtrays are on this shelf."

I asked two other residents about the policy (one in the business) and they both said the same thing.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I am a smoker! There, I said it.

I always ask when I book if it is an issue with smoking outside. One house told me that it was because the owner visits often and his son is allergic to cigarette smoke and they worry that even outside, it will get into the fabrics in the house. I respected that and did not book the house.

I NEVER smoke in a villa or even near an open door or window. I don't smoke in my house and would never in someone elses.
pegoode

Post by pegoode »

Thanks for the honest responses. I will be sure and ask before booking.
Pam

[/url]
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

If you do smoke out side potted plants aren't ash trays It is amasing how many butts you will see in the pots I always clean them out where every I'm staying.
INfamily

Post by INfamily »

I have reactive airway disease, and my life would be easier if everyone would respect the no smoking rules. Even residual smoke can cause a reaction for me, so if someone breaks the no smoking rules in a villa, my vacation is miserable. This march we were at Vie's beach enjoying a great day when a large group set up next to us. One guy decided to light up a cigar, moves to the edge of his group, and puffs away. Of course my lungs went into immediate spasm. End of beautiful beach day for me.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

waterguy wrote:If you do smoke out side potted plants aren't ash trays It is amasing how many butts you will see in the pots I always clean them out where every I'm staying.
I always make sure that after I put out my cigarette, I wrap it in my "portable" ash tray and throw it out in the dumpster on the way to the beach. (It is aluminum foil then sealed in a ziploc.)

I get that people don't like smoking, I am considerate of those around me and the villa where I am staying. I wouldn't want cigarette butts in my planter and would never out them in someone elses.

Just a quick comment and this is not directed at anyone:
All smokers are not rude slobs just like all people that drink are not obnoxious drunks.
bevm

Post by bevm »

Crash smokes cherry pipe tobacco cigars and occasionally I'll smoke one too on vacation. He only does it outside. And frankly, it keeps the skeeters away, too!! X is right. If you're an ignorant person you're going to do what you want without regards for anyone else's feelings....
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

Xislandgirl wrote:
waterguy wrote:If you do smoke out side potted plants aren't ash trays It is amasing how many butts you will see in the pots I always clean them out where every I'm staying.
I always make sure that after I put out my cigarette, I wrap it in my "portable" ash tray and throw it out in the dumpster on the way to the beach. (It is aluminum foil then sealed in a ziploc.)

I get that people don't like smoking, I am considerate of those around me and the villa where I am staying. I wouldn't want cigarette butts in my planter and would never out them in someone elses.

Just a quick comment and this is not directed at anyone:
All smokers are not rude slobs just like all people that drink are not obnoxious drunks.
I'm a TOTAL social smoker...can't help it...when I have a drink in one had I have to have a cig in the other....but I'm always considerate of others around me...
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

Honey is a smoker, I am not. He does not smoke in our home or my car EVER and he does not do it on vacation either.

He is considerate of others and has an understanding since my son also suffered from RAD and severe juvenile asthma for years.

We've never had an issue with him smoking outside (by the pool) away from the villa before. I always ask about this. He also never uses the plants, beach or ocean for his personal ashtray.

I was also concerned about this on our cat charter but captain said up on top at the back of the boat is fine.
Chet

Post by Chet »

Life is good 8)

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
Schnell

Post by Schnell »

bevm wrote:Crash smokes cherry pipe tobacco cigars and occasionally I'll smoke one too on vacation. He only does it outside. And frankly, it keeps the skeeters away, too!! X is right. If you're an ignorant person you're going to do what you want without regards for anyone else's feelings....
You bet, no need for DEET when you have a cigar 8)
bevm

Post by bevm »

And he's right. They leave him alone and happily chomp on everyone else we're with!
Chet, love that picture!!
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

I have seen some villas state no smoking inside or outside, but I would assume that unless stated, you can smoke outside.
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Jumping back to add - the villa we rented was a "no smoking on the property" even outside villa, which is a rule the greeter told us we did not need to be concerned about.