Bug spray with DEET - Gromit?

Travel discussion for St. John
jdw

Bug spray with DEET - Gromit?

Post by jdw »

How much DEET is too much? Isn't it unhealthy after a certain percent?

Gromit - What is the kind of bug spray that you recommend? I remember reading about it in one of your reports.

Thanks.

Jamie
Cid

Post by Cid »

I went to the Army/Navy Store and got a jug of military issue bug juice. The deet content is really high, but it works awesome. It will even keep people away.

I'm no expert, but I think you have to have a fairly high exposure, over a course of time to get any real effects. Of course, that's if there are no other health concerns. I think the real danger is to laboratory rats that get really high doses of the stuff daily. "I wonder how they got those huge tumors? Hmmmmm....". :lol:

I'm guessing someone else will have more info....
Still waiting to return to St. John!
http://facebook.com/cidsinclair
[/url]
djmom

Post by djmom »

Cid wrote:I went to the Army/Navy Store and got a jug of military issue bug juice. The deet content is really high...

JDW: this should answer your question (CID is the guy with the talking iguana)
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Hey JDW!!

The only thing I bring is Ben's with as much DEET as possible.

Certainly if you have young kids you might want to be careful and opt for the 30% DEET but quite frankly Ben's is the only thing that works for me and keeps the bugs off (they LOVE me cause I'm so sweet 8) )

You can get Ben's on line and it comes in this nice handy, purse or pocket size orange bottle. So it's easy to carry and easy to find in your bag. It's strong so you don't need to use as much as you would with other bug repellants. A little goes a long way.

Botach Tactical has a nice explanation of why Ben's is different from other sprays:
http://www.botachtactical.com/betiinre.html

And you can buy from several places:

Campmor 100% DEET: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___82161

Eastern Moutain sports has the small and large bottle (30% DEET) in a two pack:
http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_deta ... GoogleBase

I'm sure if you have any local camp stores that you can also get it there. Some drug stores may also carry it.

Hope this helps!
*Another fine scatterbrained production
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

My barracuda web filter wouldn't let me check out the link cause it falls into the category: WEAPONS :shock:
Cid

Post by Cid »

Those look like some great products Gromit. I'll have to try them after I empty my jug of Army issue Deet. Maybe people won't run away gagging when I get near them. Heheheheeeeee...
[/url]
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Here's some more info on DEET: http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/deet.htm
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

From the BOTACH web site (teh othe rlinks are camping stuff so that shoudn't be blocked for you:

Ben's Tick & Insect Repellent

Why is Ben's® Tick & Insect Repellent the most effective insect repellent you can buy? Ben's® Tick & Insect Repellent brand lotion and pump spray repellents contain DEET, the most effective tick and insect repelling ingredient ever developed. Why does Ben's® 30 Tick & Insect Repellent use water instead of alcohol as most other DEET insect repellents do? Water has replaced alcohol in Ben's® 30 Tick & Insect Repellent. Because water does not evaporate as quickly as alcohol, and does not open the pores, the need to frequently reapply the repellent is reduced. Thus, Ben's® 30 Tick & Insect Repellent will be an appropriate choice for protecting children as well as adults and it leaves more insect repellent on the skin so that it fights against biting insects longer.

Alcohol creates a strong aroma providing the traditional "insect repellent" smell. The water-based formula isn't as strong smelling and much more pleasant.

Available in your choice of formulas Ben's® 100 Tick & Insect Repellent, and Ben's® 30 Tick & Insect Repellent. Ben's® 100 Tick & Insect Repellent contains 95 percent DEET, the highest concentration -- and therefore one of the longest lasting DEET formulas available from any manufacturer. It is recommended for use in areas of heavy insect infestation. Ben's® 30 Tick & Insect Repellent contains 30% DEET and is the amount recommended from the CDC for protection from disease carrying insects.

How to use Ben's® Tick & Insect Repellent Because Ben's® Tick & Insect Repellent is so effective, there is no need to keep reapplying. Use just enough to cover exposed skin and apply to clothing. Do not apply to skin that will be covered by clothing. For the face, apply Ben's® Tick & Insect Repellent to your hands and rub on the face. Avoid eyes and mouth. Apply sparingly around ears. Wash hands. Do not apply to the hands and face of young children. For ticks and chiggers, apply to shoe tops, socks and around openings in clothing.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I thank you for the information, Gromit, and Campmor thanks you for the sale! Whatever it takes to keep hubby from itching and scratching....
jdw

Post by jdw »

Gromit - You rock!!! You always have the answers! I am like you (sweet :lol: )and the bugs love me. I will order my Bens today!

Thanks again.

Jamie
ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

Gromit

Thanks for the link. Just ordered ours. Must defeat the no-see-ums.

Dave
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Dave I am with you... I can't stand to get bitten.

I'm not making any promises but I'm pretty sure you'll be as bug free as possible with this stuff.
NoWorriesMom

Post by NoWorriesMom »

I can't help it, I simply have to ask. Why DEET at all when there are so many DEET-free products on the market? The link provided in this thread states that DEET is a neurotoxin and is found in ground water. It states that it is harmful to fish and other marine life. Another paragraph in that link states that the EPA hasn't quite determined whether or not DEET causes cancers. So, sorry, not trying to start a flame war but seriously, why DEET which is a man made chemical when other products work (like Avon Skin So Soft or products with oil of lemon eucalyptus).?????
Cid

Post by Cid »

Whaaaaattt? Real bugs eat Skin-so-Soft for breakfast! A few neurotoxins probably won't kill you anyway.

I'm pretty green and all that, but when it comes to getting eaten alive by bugs, I'll take some good old-fashioned chemicals if that's what works best...
[/url]
steve

Post by steve »

For the fishermaen/women out there, be very careful with the DEET. I was using it while fly fishing and after a couple of days I wondered why my fly line was stuck together... The guide informed me that deet can melt the fly line! :shock: I still use it but I wonder what else it can melt.