Dry snorkel vs. regular?

Travel discussion for St. John
California Girl

Dry snorkel vs. regular?

Post by California Girl »

Hi there! We went to a dive shop last weekend and got all fitted out with our snorkeling gear. I'm still in sticker shock, but we have great gear with masks that won't leak and fins that won't make blisters! My question to you, oh great and powerful forum, is this: I was planning to buy dry snorkels, but the guy at the dive shop said they don't sell those because of safety issues. He said sometimes they don't open up again when you come up for air so they won't sell them. Needless to say, we got regular snorkels. Do any of you have an opinion to share on this subject?

I'm not sure if I got sold a bill of goods by a guy who saw a novice sucker with a hook in her mouth ready to be reeled in, or if that really is an issue.

Thanks!
canucknyc

Post by canucknyc »

We were told the exact same thing when we went to a dive shop over the holidays. I was iffy on it, too, but now that you heard the same story, I believe it!
ihochman

Post by ihochman »

Hate to show my ignorance, but what is a dry snorkel and how does
it differ from a "wet" snorkel?
California Girl

Ok, don't quote me on this because I may have a fact or two wrong, but a dry snorkel has a little cap on the top that closes off the snorkel when you dive under water so it doesn't fill up. A regular snorkel, well... no cap! LOL!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

What the dive shop person told you is true. I know because it started happening with my dry snorkel last trip. I had never had problems with it before, but this trip it started locking up--not every time, just occasionally. I found it more annoying than anything else. If it locked, I just stuck my head out of the water and took it out of my mouth for a bit. It would always go back to normal. I tossed it at the end of the trip because not only was it locking up, it started leaking around where the flexible mouthpiece met the rigid tube.

ihochman, a dry snorkel has a cap on the top of the tube. When you dive underwater, the cap seals up so water can't get in. That way when you surface, you don't have to blow any water out of your snorkel the way you would need to with a traditional style of snorkel.

I still hope I can find a new dry snorkel for this trip. The occasional lock up was annoying, but nothing more than that-at least to me. I could see how it could be a problem though, if it locked up on someone who then panicked.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
canucknyc

Post by canucknyc »

That's how I understand it, too. Apparently the issue is if sand (or whatever) gets caught in the cap it could cause it to not open. Um no thanks!
Betty

Post by Betty »

YIKES! I have been using this dry snorkel for 5 years and have never had a problem, my husband and daughter have too. http://www.herringtoncatalog.com/fs161.html

At $29.95 this brand is lower than dry snorkels I have seen at our local dive shop or other online companys and it has always worked beautifully. I suggest them to all beginner snorkelers.

I would like to know if this is the brand that was not working for Liamsaunt?
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

Being an Ole Salt (Scuba Diving for 30+ years) I always use a traditional snorkel with a purge valve near the mouth piece. Here is a trick that I was taught when I was getting certified (in the dark ages).

The hard way:
You come up from your dive – snorkel is full of water – you hit the surface and blow as hard as you can to clear the snorkel. I call this – playing whale.

Easy way:
As you’re coming up from your dive – look towards the surface. Just before you hit the surface (1 or 2 feet) – blow the water out of the snorkel and continue blowing until you hit the surface. When you hit the surface – your snorkel will be clear. This method take almost no effort to clear the snorkel.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
California Girl

FlaGeorge wrote: This method take almost no effort to clear the snorkel.
It looks like I'm going to need to invest in some "pool time" to practice before I hit the beach! 8)
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Betty wrote:YIKES! I have been using this dry snorkel for 5 years and have never had a problem, my husband and daughter have too. http://www.herringtoncatalog.com/fs161.html

At $29.95 this brand is lower than dry snorkels I have seen at our local dive shop or other online companys and it has always worked beautifully. I suggest them to all beginner snorkelers.

I would like to know if this is the brand that was not working for Liamsaunt?
Hi there, no, that is not the snorkel I had. I got mine at a dive shop near me. I will say those split flippers pictured with the snorkel look pretty cool though!

I would not worry about it, really. You are used to the snorkel and it works fine for you, so why change? Worst case if it locks up on you you can just give it a moment to clear--or rip the cap off, ha ha!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

Well, CA, we have been using a dry snorkle for quite some time now. In fact, I am working on my second one, as the first one just plain wore out.

We have never had any trouble with the little "ball" sticking. In fact the only trouble I've ever had with mine was the mouth piece was not comfortable, so I bought a new one (smaller) and it is just fine now.

I buy all of my snorkeling equipment from a dive shop, and they cannot keep the dry snorkels in stock. If you want one, you have to call and see when they are expecting a shipment so you can be there to pick one up.

I might not use one if I SCUBA, but since I only snorkel, I wouldn't take anything else but the dry snorkle!

JMHO,
-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

CariBert

Post by CariBert »

Oh, here's a link to the dry snorkel I use (the rigid one, not the flex)

http://www.oceanmaster.com/SnorkelsFeatures.htm

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

smilesfromMN

Post by smilesfromMN »

We have had ours for nine years and haven't had a problem. (Ours are Ocean Master as well). The big advantage to me isn't so much that I don't have to clear the snorkel when I surface from being under (since I don't dive under all that often), but the fact that waves don't cause water to get into the snorkel. If it's a calm day obviously that's not as big of a deal, but it's amazing how much you notice even a little chop in the water (or waves caused by swimmers around you) when you are getting water in your mouth because if it. I'm not an expert by any means, this is just what has worked well for us. :D
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

I don't really know anything about dry snorkels. I'm a "whale" type surfacer when I dive down :). I actually dive down quite a bit to get a better look at things or pick up conchs.

I CAN, however, highly recommend the split flippers with foot holes and adjustable straps.

The split flippers result in less drag thus less muscle fatigue and cramping.

The foot holes + adjustable straps reult in being able to...I dunno...adjust :). Hubby and I switch gear all the time. We don't have to keep track og who's is who's, ya know.
Betty

Post by Betty »

canucknyc
That's how I understand it, too. Apparently the issue is if sand (or whatever) gets caught in the cap it could cause it to not open. Um no thanks!

We clean our equipment and flush the snorkels after every day we use them with fresh water, so that may be a reason we do not get sand trapped in the cap.

Liamsaunt ... We bought the split fins pictured for xmas for each other I will let you know how they work.

I have been snorkeling since childhood and am a strong swimmer, we bought the dry snorkel originally for my daughter when we were teaching her to snorkel, I tried it and loved it. It is especially good in choppy water so you don't get a mouthful when just swimming on the surface. We use the rigid dry snorkels btw.