DELETED

Travel discussion for St. John
DELETED

question......cell phone reception in St John

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
ifloat

Post by ifloat »

I have ATT too but my husband has Nextel. We'll be staying in your villa ten days from now and will let you know.
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

I leave my cell phone at home while I'm on St John...My husband brings his to check on the dogs but leaves it at the villa. He had Verizon on our last trip in 2007 but now has Alltel...I think the reception is going to be bad no matter which service you have...I have no desire to talk to anyone until I get back...so my phone will stay at home when we go back in June. Plus the villas have phones...we leave the number with family memebers in case someone needs to get in touch with us...:wink:
Ms.Montana

Post by Ms.Montana »

We just got back a few weeks ago and had no problem using Verizon. We have heard that it is very expensive if you use British towers (east end). We mostly texted while on the east side and talked when in Cruz Bay. Our bill was very reasonable but we kept it to a minimum. It seemed like texting was the least expensive way to go.
Chet

Post by Chet »

My crackberry runs T-Mobile and it works in Cruz Bay, not not in Coral Bay.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
Greenskeeper

Post by Greenskeeper »

We have AT&T and Verizon. Both worked. Had on glitch at the villa one morning but other than that, fine.
lprof

Post by lprof »

We have had good service with ATT...spending most time in the Coral Bay area...villas past Salt Pond and on Majestic Mile. No international call charges...don't recall using the phones on the far east end.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
BillnSue

Post by BillnSue »

In the years that we've been coming to STJ, we've had both ATT and Verizon. Hands down the Verizon has been most reliable. There are occasional dropped calls and "blackout periods"...We pray for more next time we visit paradise! :lol:
steve

Post by steve »

We have ATT, works fine in most places except the N Shore and Catherinberg areas. Reception is great on Center line and the upper part of John Head rd then you lose it. Do not use the British tower, you have to do battle with ATT but you can get the charges removed if you have a no roaming charge plan. We bring a cheap Costco calling card and use the villa phones (MOST ALLOW LOCAL AND 800 CALLS ONLY).

You might want to bring a walkie talkie pair, we sometimes stay in the villa and kids hit the beach and we can talk to them that way.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

We have AT&T, and had no problems with service, as well as no additional charges while we were on the east end of STJ this past fall.
My sister was in Jersey, and I was in the villa Island Horizons, over Coral Bay,as we both watched the World Series, while Brad Lidge threw strike 3 for our home town victory!
Strangely enough, I tried to keep in touch with a friend on island via text, and even though he was obviously right around the corner, his service was not nearly as fast as my sisters from back home in Jersey!
Bitter-Sweet, for me!
That said, slower service on STJ to someone down there than to someone back in the Philly area.
Weird.
Smiles-
MJ
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

hubby has verizon. no service in coral bay.

we got a bit of service on a hill heading out to vie's beach.

he made some calls from francis bay beach.

worked fine in cruz bay.

he was between fantasy leagues (footbal was over and golf hadn't quite started yet) so we only used the phone to check on the pets and send short videos of the beaches and the banaquits to our friends in New England (cue evil laughter).
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
gymnastika

Post by gymnastika »

i have AT&T and today on island it worked fine up until around hawksnest to coral bay it didn't have reception and wanted to switch to roam. i turned it off and then turned it on at Vie's and it went back to 3G. It then was on the network on my trip back thru coral bay and northshore. i guess it's just a moody network, i don't know. i previously had sprint, which was really reliable here.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
MistB'Haven

Post by MistB'Haven »

I have Verizon and had service at our villa (Rhumbrunners) in Coral Bay and most other places on the island. Unfortunately we were out of power for 12 days at home and had to use the phone. $700 worth. No charge for texts. And the Tortola tower was 80 cents cheaper than the "St John" tower. Just got this bill and haven't talked to Verizon yet (I'm waiting to calm down). Will keep you posted.