Close...but yet so far....Damned Economy!!

Travel discussion for St. John
ScottB

Close...but yet so far....Damned Economy!!

Post by ScottB »

Well,

I was about 135 days away from paradise, everything booked from flights, to villa, jeep rental, to hotels in St Thomas, hotels in Boston....Unfortunately all will be cancelled today due to loss of income in this terrifying economy. :(

I hate to think of the losses of deposit money this will cost us. Not a happy camper today... :(

Someone just shoot me now!!
Last edited by ScottB on Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
loria

Post by loria »

oh.....I am SO sorry :( that really stinks. :x
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

Scott - So sorry to hear your news. You will be in my thoughts on the job front.

Tracy
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
RickG

Post by RickG »

Good luck with things. Things are slow, demand is down everywhere. There's a lot of saving going on out there. Federal contracting is starting to look good again.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

RickG wrote:Good luck with things. Things are slow, demand is down everywhere. There's a lot of saving going on out there. Federal contracting is starting to look good again.

Cheers, RickG
Thanks....now if we can simply stop lining the pockets of the top brass with our tax money(bailouts), maybe, just maybe, things can start to rebound...Amazing how we continue to reward failure :shock:
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Scott, I feel your pain. If we hadn't paid for most of our trip up front, we surely wouldn't have the money to go now.

It's sad that just when you need to get away the most, you have to cancel it.

I think it may be several years before we'll be able to get back to STJ again.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

ScottB
WIND is a good local networking group also should join onto Linkedin
http://www.windnetworking.net/index.html

Good luck
Last edited by shoemak38 on Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greenskeeper

Post by Greenskeeper »

Sorry to hear about your situation. Maybe you can recoup some of your losses still.

Good luck.
sandrasjunk

Post by sandrasjunk »

California Girl wrote:Scott, I feel your pain. If we hadn't paid for most of our trip up front, we surely wouldn't have the money to go now.

It's sad that just when you need to get away the most, you have to cancel it.

I think it may be several years before we'll be able to get back to STJ again.
I was just talking about the same thing. If we hadn't paid for all of our trip months ago including airfare we would probably cancel also. My husband and I both are in the car business. (Thankfully not in sales) And business is WAY down. This will be our last hoorah for a while unless things turn around. :(
We are definitely going to make the most of the short time we will be on island.
brenda

Post by brenda »

Sorry to hear that Scott :( . I know how difficult it is to cancel a trip. Hope things start looking up for you.
Going "home" again October 26th!
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

So sorry to hear that Scott! It's hard not having a trip booked, but it's even harder when you have to cancel one. I hope you can get some of your deposit money back to help a little!

Wish you only the best!
Jo Ann - VA

Post by Jo Ann - VA »

I am very sorry to hear about your situation Scott. I hope things get better for you soon.

We are like some others on here. If we hadn't already paid for everything months ago we probably wouldn't be going in May.

Take care.
Jo Ann
Always planning the next vacation...
alw1977

Post by alw1977 »

Scott,
I am so sorry. That really stinks, no way around it. If it is any small consolation at all, you are far from the only person in your situation. It's all too common these days. On the upside, if you're laid off, you can just make painkillers on some random weekday, get a little tipsy, play some reggae and pretend you're on St. John. Hey, at least you won't be at work!

In seriousness, I found out I lost my job about a month ago. Just finished working last week. I don't see a St. John trip for the foreseeable future, but I know it is out there, someday. At least my husband is a federal government contractor... fingers crossed for now.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Scott ,

As I said to my CFO as I received similar news recently - "THIS SUCKS"!

Not sure of your field, but in the IT space, there are a lot of postings, depends on your skills -

Along with the normal Monster, Careerbuilder, check out -

indeed.com
net-temps.com
theladders.com

I have also been able to find internal contacts for postings using LinkedIn.

You will also need patience with unemployment. I finally gave up on trying to get in via phone and went to one of the local offices. Weekly signups have been easy via their website. Was told that it would be 4-5 weeks before checks come through.

Good Luck!
janet
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

That totally sucks, Scott! :( I know everyone is feeling the bite in some way or another. Hopefully things will get better sooner than later.