Looking for unique, adventureous sights to see

Travel discussion for St. John
PoweredBySoy

Looking for unique, adventureous sights to see

Post by PoweredBySoy »

My fiancee and I will be staying on St John for 10 days starting on April 18th. While we're very much looking forward to the relaxing beaches, snorkeling and food, we also like to get off the beaten path every once in awhile and take in a locales nature and history. Could you recommend any sights to visit - parks, museums, natural wonders, etc. that we must see?

And please feel free to include all of the Virgin Islands. As of now we plan on taking a day trip to Tortola, as well as staying a night over on St Thomas. So we're not adverse to day-trips if the location is worth it.

Thanks for any advice!
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Definitely take the Ram Head hike. Amazing payoff at the end. Beautiful view!
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

STJ is pretty small. when you ask about "nature & history", well, just being on the island puts you in the nature and there's historical sugar mill ruins at every turn.

i'd suggest the national park hike down to the petroglyphs for a flora/fauna & ancient history learning experience.

there's also lots places to see sugar mill ruins- catherinburg, right along the road; cinnamon bay, park in the lot and walk over to the ruins; annaberg, park in the lot and walk to the smal park where the ruins are.

i believe there is a local library with lots of historical stuff but is it being renovated right now (?). i can't recall the name of the library (elaine sprauve maybe).

i'd suggest reading some books about the islands history and then visiting the sites- Tales of St John, St John People, etc. Some are available thru this website.

STJ is awesome... Have fun!
parafins

sights...

Post by parafins »

The Baths on Virgin Gorda.Was there back in '96 and will never forget it.BIG,BIG,rocks......Parafins
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

If you're in REALLY good shape do the Reef Bay hike (Pertorglyphs at the end) you can also do this hike witht he park service and they take you back by boat so you don't have to hike back up.

Annaberg Sugar Mill ruin is also nice with beautiful views.

Best advice for a first timer-- don't try to pack too much in -- island time will suck you in!!
*Another fine scatterbrained production
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

Too bad, if you were on island the previous sunday you could stay up all night to catch the jumbies roll Easter Rock to the water and back up.

:wink:

My suggestion is the hike from Genti Beach to Reef Bay and the petroglyphs. You also have the opportunity to have a mile long stretch of beach to yourself. Check high tide times if you make this hike. It is possible to get stranded between the rock scrambles during high tide.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
PoweredBySoy

Post by PoweredBySoy »

Ram Head
Reef Bay/Petroglyphs
Annaberg Mill
The Baths (we were already interested in seeing this, but you just confirmed it)

I will start researching all of these. Thank you!
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

PoweredBySoy wrote:Ram Head
Reef Bay/Petroglyphs
Annaberg Mill
The Baths (we were already interested in seeing this, but you just confirmed it)

I will start researching all of these. Thank you!
Here's the part of my trip report from Ram Head hike back in November 07. It was great. I would suggest being in moderately good shape (I am not) and taking TONS of water. Two big bottles per person. We froze ours and drank every drop. And GO EARLY, it gets hot. It is totally worth it though!

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... t=flipflop
ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

What about Carnival on STT?

Sure sounds like its worthwhile. We're on STJ from April 24 to 29 and I was looking forward to going over for a chunk of a day.

Dave
Joshie

Post by Joshie »

Ondine

Post by Ondine »

Definitely the Reef Bay Hike, with the NPS boat to pick you up at the end is the way to go, relatively easy downhill hike.
Rams Head, like others have said, go early, bring lots of water, breathtaking.
Hike the Lindpoint Trail as a way of doing a unique beach day and go for Solomon, Honeymoon and see Caneel grounds.
Moravian Church, could go for a service and get a real sense of some of the local culture.
Sloop Jones for wearable art and Coconut Coast for tile art.
Hire Pam Gaffin for a locals tour, she wrote Feet, Fins and Four Wheel drive, great book.
Jost Van Dyke: Ivans - good history there ;) And if you find yourself at Foxy's, walk the dirt road that leads from there to the ferry dock, it has such an old caribbean feel to it, very cool along there.
Most of all, just soak it all in! Enjoy.
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

PoweredBySoy

Post by PoweredBySoy »

Joshie wrote: 3. As others have suggested, visit the Baths on Virgin Gorda. Hike to Devil's Bay with your snorkel gear, and then snorkel back through the huge underwater boulder field - amazing.
We both love the idea of going to the Baths - but I'm finding the ferry schedule to be somewhat restrictive. The only day we would be able to go on is Thursday, and the ride would be long and expensive - and it would only leave us with a total of 5 hours on Virgin Gorda.
Joshie wrote: 5. Rent kayaks at Cinnamon, and paddle all the way around Whistling Cay.
Oh, I like that. I think we just may have to do that.
loria

Post by loria »

if you like climbing you can arrange to do some rappelling and climbing (about 5.5 up to maybe a 5.9 depending on your ascent route) with USVI climbing --they are in st thomas but will pick you up at the park service dock--nice guys and a pretty fun way to spend a day
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Doug6105

Post by Doug6105 »

Take a sunset walk along the shore via the trail/old road from Anneburg towards Waterlemon Cay. You'll probably see very few people, lots of neat flotsam not to mention a great place to see a sunset.
So many islands . . . . .

http://public.fotki.com/douges100/