No car?!?

Travel discussion for St. John
Lulu76

No car?!?

Post by Lulu76 »

So, we are just about booked for our next trip, which won't be until 2009, but we're going to try this high season thing.

I have heard that parking is dreadful in the high season. And it's looking like we may stay in town for this trip.

So, we're kind of thinking: do we really need a car for the entire trip?

We might do an overnight on Jost, so we wouldn't need a car then. We could cab it to the beach.

I'm thinking we'd need to rent a car to go to Vie's and over to Coral Bay, which I have to do at least once.

Do you really save any money not to get a car? I want to hear from the folks who don't rent cars, because I know they're out there.
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

I stayed at Gallows Point and didn't rent a Jeep but it was for only 4 days. If your staying a week, I would have to have a Jeep, there's too many places I like to go. Also check because it is sometimes hard to rent a Jeep for less than a week in high season. If your not a explorer and are only going to travel to the beach during the day,I guess you don't need it if you will be staying close to town. You could also stay at Caneel and you can just go to town by taxi if you want.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

For me, a huge part of my fun is driving on STJ. My husband can barely wrestle the keys out of my hands. So I would very much miss a car and it wouldn't be the same for me.

That said (since you know the lay of the land/what you are getting into and if you are staying walking distance to town) it might work.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Honestly LuLu just budget for it and get the cheapest car possible.

Otherwise it's just a PITA and not as much fun IMHO.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
F&Fmom

Post by F&Fmom »

LuLu - we stayed at Gallows Point (in late April) and rented a car for just 2 days. We used the car to go to Coral Bay/Salt Pond on day and then to Annaberg/Waterlemon the other day. We cabbed it to/from Trunk and we cabbed it back from Caneel after we walked to Soloman/Honeymoon Beach. We walked to Cruz Bay each night for dinner except two, cabbed it to Pastory Gardens and ate in the other night. I think its very doable.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Hi Lulu,

When staying in/near town, we typically don't rent a vehicle for the full week; 3-4 (of 7-8) days works well. We taxi to Trunk, Honeymoon (via Caneel), Hawksnest and Cinnamon. On car days, we'll do Maho, Francis, Salt Pond, Skinny's, etc.

It's never been much of a pain; you just need to be flexible. Don't ever remember being too inconvenienced waiting for a taxi.

With just 2 of us and a couple of rides a day, it worked out to be cheaper than having a car; with a larger group, it may not save you any money, but might save some hassle looking for parking.

Definitely doable and enjoyable without a car.

happy planning!
janet
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I'm not generally the type to drive places if I don't have to, even when I know there's going to be parking available. So, that being said, I just see the car sitting in the driveway while we go to eat and things like that and not being worth it.

I guess we'll see. My biggest worry is not being able to get it less than a week in high season anyhow.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Lulu - if you don't mind a slight inconvenience and if you can allow extra time to get to you destination, how about taking the bus to Coral Bay one day?
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

Oh heck – half the fun of having wheels on STJ is being able to drive on the left and scare the pants off the person on the passenger side. How many times can you drive on the “Left Side” (legally). Plus, you can go explore all those hidden driveways – who knows what you’ll find. I’d say – go for it.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
KatieH

Post by KatieH »

Lulu,

Once I encountered that dump truck on the switchback between Trunk and Cinnamon, I stopped driving on St John. (I think it had something to do with the truck hitting my car and dragging said car and it's occupants, including our two children, down the hill. But I digress). Anyway, since then whenever I've traveled sans spouse, I've opted for taxis, and they've worked well.

Of course, I have been dependent on the the kindness of strangers (forumites) to take me to Lameshur :D but there are alot of great beaches accessible by taxi (Frett's took us to Maho - we pre-arranged a pick up time and they were there waiting for us).

I'm not sure how much you'll save vs renting a car. A trip to Maho was ( I believe) $10 - $12 each way and I think that the cheapest trip was $5 pp plus tip - each way.

We usually travel in March and often stay at Lavender Hill so walking into town is easy, but we've also found parking in high season, too.

I would check with the rental company and see if they'll do a rental for just a few days.

BTW - I'm getting back in the saddle during our March trip. I may need to be medicated :wink:

Have a great trip
LMG

Post by LMG »

Lulu,
I think it can definitely be done. My friends and I did the scenario you describe last July (spent a few days on Jost, then came over to STJ, rented a car for 4/7 days) and it was fine. We also stayed in town and it was easy to walk to/from when we needed to on those three days. Plus, it was super fun to irritate the princess-in-heels that was with us and watch her walk up and down the hills every day. Oops, never mind, I didn't mean that. :)

Anyway, I would be worried about the availability of a car, though. Even in July, we weren't able to reserve a car for less than a week and just had to call the night before and keep our fingers crossed. So, depending on what part of high season you're looking at, that would probably be a major concern.
bubblybrenda

Post by bubblybrenda »

I was on STJ last April for 2 weeks, camping at Cinnamon Bay. We (2 of us) rented a car for 3 days to go to Salt Pond, Skinnys, and basically just explore the Island. We did not reserve ahead and had no problem getting a vehicle from St. John Car Rental.

Aside from taking taxis, we mostly hitched into town (not so easy hitching back so we grabbed a taxi). I had never hitch hiked in my 45 years but I gotta say it was kind of a rush. Never waited more than 5 minutes for a ride. It was an awesome 10 minute experience with every ride chatting with people, where were they from, what brought them to the Island etc. When we rented the vehicle we repaid the favour and met some very interesting characters.

I'm going alone this time (Feb 7th) and I can't see myself driving on the wrong side of the road so plan to hitch and take taxis depending on the time of day.
~Brenda~
loria

Post by loria »

HItchhike!!!!!!!! it always works! and the VItran is great (well, ok, not great, but , well not great.......but good? decent? when it runs?????)

we did maho and then concordia without a car YEARS ago (with two kids in tow) it was not a picnic, but we managed (we weren't eating in cruz bay though!)--we were there in high season and parked at the pay lot and it wasn't so much money for when we needed to use it---I like to have the option of getting to what ever beach i want --and if you are there in winter --esp when the winds are up , you may want to decamp to salt pond or lameshur....
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
CruzBayB

Post by CruzBayB »

We stayed at Gallow's and just walked in to town to eat and took the taxi's out to whatever beach we wanted that day and were perfectly happy the whole trip! If you know you don't have a car you can just alter your plans slightly and still have a great STJ trip...
"By the time we hit Miami, the cell phones will ring and life as we know it will draw us back in, so tonight we will just continue to soak in the sounds, the sights, the tastes and the feelings of St. John."
jmq

Post by jmq »

Seems like for the days you dont rent, the $70+/day it costs to rent a vehicle would more than cover a taxi to almost any north shore beach for 2 people. More than 2 people seems may be better to rent if only cost is considered.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide