Funny story about WAPA (and my bill)

Travel discussion for St. John
Pia

Funny story about WAPA (and my bill)

Post by Pia »

OK, so I know you like to read about daily life here in the VI's so I thought I would share a "funny" story.

As you may know, WAPA has decreased their rates recently to approx 45 cents pkh (cheap at half the price I know :) ) Our last bill was only $274 - now keep in mind we have a tinyhome nothing like a rental villa and we run "normal" stuff - tv, w/d, hot water heater, a/c at night (window unit) in the bedroom only and ceiling fans. Well, as it has been cool at night (for us anyway) we have turned off the a/c and ceiling fans at night and reduced the temp of the hot water heater as it was at scalding level so I was excited to open our WAPA bill this month to see how well we are doing.

OK, so here goes.......for a 22 day cycle it was not $274, nor $300 or $400 or $500 or $600 or $700 or $800 or $900 or $1,000 but.... ta da........ $1060.40 :shock:

We think it is a mistake - OK it better be a mistake unless someone is running a extension cord from our house and powering a boat in the harbour (or even a restaurant)

I'll keep you posted as to how things proceed with WAPA - makes you appreciate the on-stjohn electricity thread :wink: :D :wink:

Pia
Boston Mike

Re: Funny story about WAPA (and my bill)

Post by Boston Mike »

Pia wrote:
We think it is a mistake - OK it better be a mistake unless someone is running a extension cord from our house and powering a boat in the harbour (or even a restaurant)

Pia
Sorry Pia. We lost power up here in the Boston for about a week due to an ice storm. We figured you wouldn't mind us running an extention cord from your house to ours. Man was that a long cord! :wink:
Life begins where the land ends!
hugo

Post by hugo »

Well Pia, yours is definitely bigger than mine. $84.00 for us this month, and there are 3 of us. Something seems a little odd.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Pia - After our upstairs toilet broke and flooded part of our house, we had 4 dehumidifiers and 6 fans running 24 hrs. a day for 5 days to dry everything out and we KNEW our electric bill was going to be HUGE! It is... it's a whole $118.00!

Didn't Jeff post something on On-St.John about getting a HUGE WAPA bill? What's going on down there? It's ridiculous!!! :shock:
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

Can't wait to hear the rest of the story.
Bob & Anita
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

OK, I am very jealous of these electric bills, except Pia's. MD has increased their rates so much in the past two years it is criminal. In Dec we were gone 2 weeks, put the heat down from our normal chilly 64 to 60. No hot water, some outside Xmas lights. Our midsize 7 (small) room house cost us $400! What on earth will Jan be with this cold front?????
Bug

Post by Bug »

4 of us here in PA. Gas & Oil heat...nothing major on the electric...$240.00/mth :roll:

XOXO
Bug
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

You're gonna want to go take all the twisty ties and rubber bands I rigged to your appliances.

Sorry about that
gymnastika

Post by gymnastika »

pip,

hahahahaha! too funny.
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

NOW the security guard and bullet proof glass at the WAPA office is starting to make sense! Sounds like you might want to give them a call and ask for a re-read.
Wakey

Post by Wakey »

OUCH!

This oughta be good..
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Back in my property management days we had an apt that was vacated and the tenant turned off the power.
The cleaning person confirmed that there was no power and when I showed it a few weeks later no power. The former tenant had left island and got her mail forwarded from Connections and called me about 2 months later to tell me that she had WAPA bills that were about $600.
She faxed them to me and I went to WAPA. I explained the situation and told them thaat the power had been shut off. She said that they shut it off 2 days ago because no one paid the bill :lol: I explained again and showed her all the paperwork that there had not been power for 2 months, and she insisted that the bill hadn't been paid for 2 months so they shut it off.
We went around and around and one of the line guys came in that I knew. We took a ride up to the apt and he looked at me and said, there hasn't been power here for months, I could have told you that :lol:
We went back to the office and the man told her and she called STT and when she got off the phone, she said "all set, $0 balance"
Never did get an explanation.

WAPA is funny that way.
Connie

Post by Connie »

Here near Philly. 4 BR house with 4 people. Just got our bill $460.00 and I try to keep the thermostat under 65!!
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Well, at least you have a sense of humor about it, Pia!

Could it be that a decimal is off? That your bill was supposed to be 106.04? Good luck straightening things out!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.