Planning our next trip to Mexico this time:

Travel discussion for St. John
XOXO

Planning our next trip to Mexico this time:

Post by XOXO »

So, we are going to go to Mexico next. I am not sure what part--Cancun? Riveria?? I don't know.

Here is what we are looking for:

• all-inclusive
    not huge/crowded
    nice beach
    activities
    friendly staff
    not too babyish for teens with their parents
    not too wild for teens
    clean

Do any of you have any ideas? I know this is so different from what we have been doing. I am a little nervous about it. DH doesn't want me to have to cook and clean so wants to do AI. I am concerned about it being crowded. But I am looking forward to doing something different. Club Med looks nice.

Gina
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

We never stayed in Cancun, but the Riviera Maya is nice, and also look at Cozumel. I know, not much help, but maybe a point in the right direction.

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

minnjim

Post by minnjim »

For all things Riviera Maya, go to locogringo.com
Ms.Montana

Post by Ms.Montana »

Here's a great forum link as well. We've been to the Riveria the past two winters. http://www.playa.info/playa-del-carmen- ... el-carmen/
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

We used to be huge Riviera Maya fans before St. John. It's so affordable to go there right now and so much faster from KC, that we were thinking of booking a trip. We have stayed at the Iberostar resorts (top fave) the Riu Resorts which are pretty nice,just not as nice and the Barcelo Maya Colonial or Tropical. That resort has a great beach with snorkeling right off of one end and we were the only people ever in that area. If you have any questions, PM me and I'll be happy to help!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

My mom and significant other went to the Grand Sirenis, southern Riveria Maya area in October.

There are two hotels on the property that share facilities. The buildings were low-laying and scattered across the grounds.

They were very impressed. My mom is psycho about cleanliness and even she said the rooms and resort (pool, restaurants and such) were spotless.

She liked the natural areas of the resort. It looked like the jungle backed right up to the side of the resort, palm trees overhanging the pool and looks of vegetation. No bugs bothered them during the trip.

Food, drinks, quality all exceeded their expectations. She thought the staff was very friendly and helpful.

From what she told me and I gathered from the pictures, the resort was off by itself, there were no other resorts visible in the distance yet it must have been cloes to activities because they talked about going to town (what town I don't know) and to the ruins.

It wasn't kiddy-ish in her opinion. She said "even you would like it", which I guess means that it wasn't too commercial and packaged.
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

For several reasons, we decided to take our trip with the kids this year to Cozumel instead of STJ. On the recommendation of Marcia's sister, we are booked at the El Cozumeleno. It is an AI that has gotten good reviews.

The beaches on Cozumel look great, by the way.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
papabou

Post by papabou »

gina,

bride and i love stj, both of us or me and buddy have made 10 trips to stj since 10/04. on a lark we went to club med cancun in sept for 6 days and extended for 4 more. went back for 10 days early dec. plan to take kids and grandkids in oct.

we were old folks there (both on ss)but really didn't feel out of place. it's not stj as far as natural beauty. there is a lot to see on day trips, but we didn't leave the compound. we've been to cancun 4 prior times for 4 to 5 days and stayed on north end of island, stirctly for beach, r&r all meals on prices. looks like a lot to see, just not interested.

cm is on south end of island and it has 4 water exposures. the south end of main beach with views up entire beach front of cancun island; to the south a protected coral reef with excellent snorkling but rocky entry; a lagoon in the middle of the resort with water skiing, wake boarding etc; and on west side a bay with southern views toward maya rev with more beach areas (if wind gets up from the east) and ocean water sports such as sailing, kayaks, and wind surfing. a look of space for the resotrs max occupancy.

the resort is scattered out with several bars and restaurants. grounds are very nice and clean, great service etc. only 2 negs for me, house wine was borderline (while booze and beer name brands and free flowing) and food a little too continental for me but variety was unreal. fresh grilled fish, fresh fruits, desserts, pastries, and breakfast were fantastic.

for your kids, trapeze, tennis, water sports mentioned, beach volleyball etc etc as well as some good nearby excursions. food wise pizza, burgers, fries, fruits, salads.

cm cancun is not a substitute for stj, just a great place to unwind, enjoy the sun and have full service.
be glad to answer any specific questions.

papabou
Greenskeeper

Post by Greenskeeper »

We love Mexico. The Iberostar in the Riviera is fantastic. Its a huge complex now with 4 or 5 hotels. Day trip to Playa del Carmen for margaritas and authentic food with sand and water under your feet at La Taraya on the beach.

I hope you keep us posted about your experience. We've always done AI and cruise and are looking forward to STJ and the villa.
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

I would highly recommend Maroma. It is between
Cancun and Playa del Carmen. It is set off by itself and is the most unusual place. It has a great spa and has won many awards. It seems more adult oriented, so I'd ask about kids. Great stretch of ocean and you can walk forever.
bubblybrenda

Post by bubblybrenda »

Just got back from the Mayan Riviera 9 days ago.

I stayed at the Bahia Principe Tulum. A huge complex comprised of 3 hotels (Tulum, Coba & Akumal). The villas are 3 stories and about 24 units per villa. It was a lovely hotel, grounds and staff. All-inclusive (never did one before and realized it wasn't my style being as I'm always on the go). It was the cleanest of any hotel I've stayed in, in Mexico (rated 4.5 or 5 star). Lots of water activities. As I don't have teenagers I can't really speak to the suitability for them.

I wasn't prepared for how far it was from Cancun however. Not a big deal. I made day trips to Cozumel; Playa Del Carmen (30 minutes) and the town of Tulum (20 minutes). Visited the Tulum ruins which were beautiful on a cliff overlooking the ocean. Walked 20 minutes to the beach of Playa Maya. Two beach bars on opposite ends. Totally worth the walk. $3/day for a palapa. $38 for a 1-hour massage on the beach. Kite surfing was popular there. Definitely the best day of the trip.

Hate to say it but I hope you aren't disappointed with the Mayan Riviera. I had never been to that side of Mexico before and had heard it was beautiful. I was so disappointed. I was expecting St. John beautiful and it didn't come close (water wasn't as blue (or as warm), sand wasn't as nice, hence my trip to St. John next month.
~Brenda~
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

Just got back from Cancun. Total opposite of STJ. High rise condos/hotels down the whole strip. I personally wouldn't do all inclusive. Too many good restaurant choices on the main road of the hotel zone. Hop on the public bus for .65 one way. The Marriott & JW (next to each other are beautiful. The Westin is at the beginning of the hotel zone with Club Med. Looked great from the beach. We stay at a family owned condo...but daughter does JW each year on business. Cancun is busy during the summer and spring break. Xmas was busier than Thanksgiving.
snorkeler525

Post by snorkeler525 »

The best beach for snorkeling is Akumal Bay; there is an AI there - Akumal Beach Resort - pretty basic but usually good rates. Another place to try would be the Grand Palladium. It is a large resort but gets really rave marks for beach and not feeling like a big resort. Plenty there to keep the teens happy.

We love the Dreams resorts - been to Tulum twice and are going to Dreams Puerto Aventuras in February - but I'm not sure they have all you want. They are smaller resorts so I think the teens might get a little bored and the beaches in both places are rocky. The Dreams Tulum has decent snorkeling off-shore - saw a shark in a big fish ball the last time we were there.

We stayed at Barcelo Maya Palace last year and hated it - huge resort, average, boring food, trouble getting into restaurants, etc.

Make sure you go off property to visit some ruins and the cenotes for snorkeling/diving.

I don't recommend Cancun unless you want a huge party atmosphere and totally non-Mexican experience. Also, can be very crowded there.

And, yes, locogringo.com is the place to go for advice. Just don't ask about swimming with dolphins or whether it is okay to touch the turtles.... :wink: The folks who run the board are a travel agency so they are a good place to go to get reservations too.
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

Thank you!!

Right now I am pouring over the information that you have given me and researching.

I agree that Cancun isn't what I am looking for. I will get back to you asap.

Since we are going AI should we rent a car?? We do like to get away from the crowd so maybe that is best.

In our past two trips there have been great books to help us. For instance; St. John off the beaten path or Pam's; or in Maui the book Maui Revealed helped us find some great hiking, secluded beaches, etc. Is there a book like that for Mexico?

TIA

Gina
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

We were impressed by the photos of Cozumel at the following site: http://picasaweb.google.com/NahHaCozume ... undCozumel#

There are wide open beaches and little beach bar huts for cocktails and food. Even though we are staying at an AI, we're definitely going to rent a jeep and explore the island.

Good luck in your decision making.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air