Little Maho...

Travel discussion for St. John
parafins

Little Maho...

Post by parafins »

I'm putting out a request for pics of Little Maho Bay from the water facing land.I'm hoping for a shot of Island Fancy the former home of Grandma McCully.Who knows,maybe you can't even see the house clearly from the water?I tried Google Earth and found a home above that beach,,but wasn't sure if that was the place.Thanks, ParafinsImageThe pic is The site of Island Fancy...
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Parafins, I thought Island Fancy was struck by lightning and burned down some years ago? I could be remembering wrong though.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
parafins

Island Fancy...

Post by parafins »

Liamsaunt,well I guess there's a bit of a mistery to Island Fancy.Hugo who lives on St.John claimed that it still exist and that the color of the roof is now white instead of the original red.Maybe someone on St.John could drive out there and report :D Parafins
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

What I remembered reading is that the house was struck by lightning and Ethel's bedroom on the top floor burned. That could explain the different roof color!

I'll swim over and see if I can see anything in a couple of weeks.
hugo

Post by hugo »

I certainly don't recall any lightening. There may have been a little damage from one of the hurricanes. The house shows up pretty well in almost any photo from the Maho overlook..it's the one closest to the water just to the Francis Bay side of the campground.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
hugo

Post by hugo »

yep, yep yep. The white roof that is -just barely-the farthest to the left, below the red roof!
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Since we are in the area of Maho and have all these good history people reading can anyone tell me a bit about the old house in ruins up on top of America Hill on the other side of Maho - probably just above where the last pic posted was taken. Old danish Plantation house? Is there a path to hike to it? Thanks.
hugo

Post by hugo »

America Hill house...was the estate house for the Cinnamon Bay plantation. Gorgeous setting, and pretty luxurious by St. John standards. The Lindquist family, who owned it in the early 20th century, ran it as a guest house for a while..there is a great photo on the St. John Historical Society website (stjohnhistoricalsociety.org). The house was still fairly intact until the 1970's. Hurricane Hugo caved in the roof and it could now be pretty dangerous, if you were tempted to explore too closely, so there are safety concerns.The Park removed the sign for the trail and it's not maintained, but still very passable, it branches off from the Cinnamon to Centerline trail very soon after you cross the gut for the first time on the way up.
Lex

Post by Lex »

Hugo

I've said it before, but I want to restate how valuable I find the input from longtime residents with long memories, such as yourself.
sandollar

Grandma (Ethel) McCully's House

Post by sandollar »

Parafins and all: Thanks to Parafins, my DH and I just finished "When Grandma Raised the Roof" and love that book! We could only obtain it through intra-library state loan system but certainly worth the wait. When DH sees the above picture so generously shared and local knowledge pointing out Island Fancy, it will make his day as it has mine. This board IS THE BEST. Much appreciated.
Diane
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Hugo -- Thanks - I remember the house looked a lot better in the 70's - and thought it had a roof of sorts. I might have to take that hike up and check it out - someone had told me it had a Gen. Santa Anna connection at one time - I will go look up that picture now.
parafins

Re: Grandma (Ethel) McCully's House

Post by parafins »

sandollar wrote:Parafins and all: Thanks to Parafins, my DH and I just finished "When Grandma Raised the Roof" and love that book! We could only obtain it through intra-library state loan system but certainly worth the wait. When DH sees the above picture so generously shared and local knowledge pointing out Island Fancy, it will make his day as it has mine. This board IS THE BEST. Much appreciated.
Your welcome! I obtained the book just as you, and found it a great read.Do read The People of St.John as well.Lots of stories from locals including my favorite,Nancy Gibney.You don't want to miss her story involving The Oppenheimers (Robert and Kitty).And I too share the same feeling about this forum,and many thanks to Hugo and Lex-my history teachers. :D Thanks for the Maho Bay picture as well.Now I know where Island Fancy is perched!I was supprised on how far up the hill it was placed!Parafins....
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I must have been thinking of a different house. Thanks for clarifying for me!
parafins

I'm wondering....

Post by parafins »

liamsaunt wrote:I must have been thinking of a different house. Thanks for clarifying for me!
Now I'm wondering about who's house burned from lighting? :shock:Parafins
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...