Reaching out to any forum friends who live near Capitol Hill

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
DaveS007

Post by DaveS007 »

OBAMAPALOOZA !!

I'll pass, won't get on a bus thats headed over a cliff. :idea: :shock:
mcpenguin5

Post by mcpenguin5 »

There has been talk locally that people as far out as the Baltimore suburbs are renting out their homes or a room to people coming in for the Inauguration. There are anticipated to be major problems with people riding the subway from the stations closer in to The Hill not being able to board the trains due to overcrowding.

I can imagine it will only be a matter of time before people figure out to take the train out to the end of the line and then take it in. The stations at the end of the lines will have no parking available, and it could get ugly.

Many of us living within the D.C. area are planning on stocking up on supplies and not leaving the house between Friday night and the night of the 21st. I know a lot of offices downtown will be closed, and those that can will be telecommuting. I figure its going to be (for us, at least) the same as a major snowstorm - prepare and hunker down. We have a nice HD large screen TV where we can watch the whole thing in peace and comfort.

I was working at George Washington Univesity when George Bush senior was inaugurated, and it was hard to walk in the downtown area, Limo-gridlock. I took the subway into town for work, so I didn't have to experience the driving problem. It will be far, far more for this Historic Inauguration. I would love to be there for it, too, but I'm too old to handle that scene.

I can hike the trails on St. John, but I don't think I could handle the mob scenes, lack of sufficient Potty Facilities, and lines to acquire food and drink. No one is going to be allowed to bring anything in but a small bottle of water. The rest will have to be purchased there. A boon for the vendors, a downer for the crowd.
Happy partying to all!
McPenguin5
Terry

Post by Terry »

Welcome to our world last summer when the DNC was here! Everyone that I knew that worked anywhere near Denver took vacation time. Some rented out their houses for a large sum, paying for their vacation.

Many companies bought blocks of rooms up here on Bo. Co. so that their employees could work remotely for 1-2 weeks.

Shutting down of I-25 was publicized well in advanced so that everyone knew. Planes were diverted over the stadium. Security was insanely amazing. Choppers on every roof, etc.

Crazy, but hopefully all will go as planned. You all should have book your STJ trip that week and rented your place out! :wink:
Chet

Re: Reaching out to any forum friends who live near Capitol

Post by Chet »

DCphoto wrote:So if you live near Capitol Hill and have a couch, do you mind helping me out. I will most likely have to be at the Capitol no later than 4:30 AM to set up. So I'm thinking coming in at 11:00 pm and will only need a place for a couple of hours.
Sandy - ping me at challeck@aarp.org
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

cypressgirl wrote:Maybe there will be a CSI or Monk marathon running that day. :roll:
I'm thinking 24....... :wink:

I heart Jack Bauer.
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

DaveS007 wrote:OBAMAPALOOZA !!

I'll pass, won't get on a bus thats headed over a cliff. :idea: :shock:
I'll pass too...I'm "Obamapalooza'd" out after having lived through it for the last 9 months.

The media is going to have a real problem on its hands if this guy doesn't live up to the hype...There's an old saying:

"Under Promise and Over Deliver"
July 2003 - Honeymoon at The Westin
July 2004 - Glenmar, Gifft Hill
July 2005 - Arco Iris, Fish Bay
December 2007 - Dreamcatcher, GCB
July 2008 - Ellison Villa, VGE
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

I saw that on my Direct TV channel menu! Haven't clicked on it yet...There is enough Obama hype thrown in our face everyday whether we like it or not - I don't need to watch Montell pitch for him too!

Hey, did you hear the latest from Tavis Smiley? He said that Obama's election is only yet "another downpayment on Dr. King's dream". When are we "paid in full"? And what is the interest rate? And is the bank still in business?

My comments are not directed towards Dr. King's life's work...But at the likes of Smiley, Jackson, Dr. Cornel West, and Sharpton who continue to make us want to believe that they are still living in the 1950's and 60's, while the rest of us are in 2009.

In my opinion, it undercuts the tremendous accomplishments of Dr. King.

Whatever, bring on the next round of "stimulus".
July 2003 - Honeymoon at The Westin
July 2004 - Glenmar, Gifft Hill
July 2005 - Arco Iris, Fish Bay
December 2007 - Dreamcatcher, GCB
July 2008 - Ellison Villa, VGE
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
loria

Post by loria »

why does a post where DC photo is looking for a place turn into an obama/democrat bash fest?
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
RickG

Post by RickG »

Sour grapes aside, I'll be riding my skateboard from my Arlington office across Memorial Bridge. This is standard operating procedure for us for July 4, Memorial Day, American Folk Life Festival, etc. Reports of gridlock and the town shutting down are being pimped by the media and driven by a secret service over-reaction; it won't be insane. Transportation will be better than it is for July 4 and was for the second Clinton inauguration when Memorial Bridge was shutdown for the parade. Still, I'll be packing my flask.

DCPhoto, good luck with the event! I'll be thinking of you.

Keep the conversation about attending the event going in this thread. The rest, well, I hear drudgeforum.com is a great place to dump bile.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
jmq

Post by jmq »

loria wrote:why does a post where DC photo is looking for a place turn into an obama/democrat bash fest?
It’s just bait. If no one bites, they’ll have to chum somewhere else.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I really wanted to go but they scared me off mostly because of the kids - no strollers, no backpacks, no BATHROOMS! - basically makes it anti- little kid.

We'll be having a little party at home to celebrate.
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

Don't flame me--please-- or "bite" either--I am not trying to engage anyone- but I think anyone who supported McCain has a pretty clear picture of the media's lovefest with Obama. It really is shocking and discussing. So, reading those posts, from my viewpoint was ammusing. As I read I kept saying to myself--I know--I know!! It isn't a popular view.

I am not against Obama--I like him. It is just the media and the Obama supporters who get glossy eyed talking about "the one" that is so obnoxious. **eye roll**

But what is nice is that we finally have people behind our President instead of . . . the attitude that our current President has had to endure.

Whether I agree with everything or nothing that Obama does for the next four years (8?) I will never show him the disrespect that has been shown to President Bush. Our President, whether you voted for him, whether you agree or disagree, deserves our respect.

Gina
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED