Reaching out to any forum friends who live near Capitol Hill

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
DCphoto

Reaching out to any forum friends who live near Capitol Hill

Post by DCphoto »

Hi, I might need help! I have to photograph the inaugaration and I live in Virginia. The Secret Service in their wisdom has closed all bridges and roads leading to Washington from where I live. I need to come in the night before and possibly spend the night in my car.
I have never scene this kind of security in all my years covering Washington! It is going to be a nightmare.
So if you live near Capitol Hill and have a couch, do you mind helping me out. I will most likely have to be at the Capitol no later than 4:30 AM to set up. So I'm thinking coming in at 11:00 pm and will only need a place for a couple of hours.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I can't help you but I hope we get to see your photos at some point!

Guess you won't be covering Springsteen playing at he Lincoln Memorial? If that's even true!
DCphoto

Post by DCphoto »

From the reports that is true about Springsteen. I was going to try and get there to cover that. He is a big supporter.
I will put some in for you guys.

Sandy
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

ohhhhh I'd love to see those! That is on the 18th and supposed to be broadcast on HBO.
RickG

Post by RickG »

The whole Virginia bridge closure is a bit much. I'm planning on walking in across Memorial Bridge if Metro is too insane. I'm planning on parking in my garage at Courthouse in Arlington unless traffic is tres weird.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
DCphoto

Post by DCphoto »

Good luck! This totally going to be insane day for people who truly want to be there. It should not be like this, even our congressman is mad about it. I would not depend on Metro at all, the system will be overloaded beyond what they ever been able to do.

Sandy
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Sandy-- since I work in transportation I am at the forefront of getting some of this info-- although I am not in the planning loop, someone on my staff is.

Here's the release that went out yesterday.

Obviously you may need to be traveling outside the normal hours.

Although not ideal -- as a last resort I can probably offer up my office to you. I'm o North Fairfax Drive in Arlington-- 1 block from the Ballston Metro -- I have a proper office with a door that locks and there's a Gym downstairs with showers.

I've even got a small space heater and there are plenty of food options.

You could bring a sleeping bag.

Not ideal but an option that gets you close.

I could check with Andy's co-workers at the Washington Post who live downtown and see if they might be willing to help a sister out. No guarantees though.

Here's the info for buses...

N E W S R E L E A S E

For Immediate Release
January 8, 2009

Metro announces special Inauguration Metrobus service Passengers can buy $5 one-day bus pass on Inauguration Day

Metro is running 23 special rapid bus corridors to carry thousands of people heading to the National Mall on Inauguration Day.

Metro plans to extend its rush-hour bus service from 4 a.m. until 9 p.m. via the 23 “Presidential” corridors on January 20. The buses are planned to arrive at regularly marked stops every 10 minutes or less along 23 bus routes throughout the day to and from the National Mall.

Metro planners say 22 regular bus routes are being detoured by the Inauguration due to street closures and to accommodate incoming crowds.

Metro bus riders also can take a special cross town connector bus shuttle, from North Capitol Street to Washington Circle that will get them around the Inauguration events January 20.

“Taking Metrobus is a good option for people who are located beyond a two-to- three mile walking distance to the National Mall, because they may not be able to get on a crowded Metro train in or just outside the District of Columbia,” said John Catoe, Metro General Manager.

Metrobuses will be able to cross bridges closed to other traffic, will be permitted on roads closed to automobiles and will run bus-only through Georgetown from Wisconsin Avenue to Washington Circle bypassing regular traffic.

Metro also is selling a special one-day Inauguration bus pass only on January 20. Bus passengers can purchase the $5 pass when they board a bus and receive the pass from operators, good for riding all day. Metro riders can still pay the full $1.35 cash one-way fare or pay $1.25 with a SmarTrip card.

“The passes will speed boarding after inaugural events. All passengers have to do is show the pass to the bus driver to get on board,” Catoe said.

Metro is running a special shuttle service from RFK Stadium to L’Enfant Plaza. The District of Columbia will reimburse Metro to shuttle charter bus passengers for free to and from the stadium.

The transit agency also is adding bus service to and from the Baltimore Washington and Dulles International Airports.

Inauguration bus and rail service and a walking map are detailed in a free commemorative guide available this week in Metro stations and online at:
http://www.wmata.com/getting_around/met ... ng_map.pdf.

The maps will be available in buses and additional personnel will be stationed at busy bus stops to assist riders. Metro riders also can find information about regular Metrobus routes that may detoured during Inauguration weekend at http://www.wmata.com/bus/. Metro also has a listing of planned bus detours at http://www.wmata.com/bus/metrobus_detours_new.cfm.

“We encourage people who want to take the bus to use the commemorative guide, regular bus route information and to sign up for e-alerts about service delays on our Web site,” said Catoe.

Metro also offers special e-alerts, dedicated to the Inauguration.

People can sign up at http://www.wmata.com/inauguration. E-alerts will be issued when Metro has news relating to service throughout Inauguration weekend.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

As a non-supporter (politically) of Obama (but a "new" supporter in that I want him to do well for our country), I am happy that the protection for him and for the crowd has been escalated. The secret service will see challenges like they have probably never experienced in their history over the next 4 years (although the hatred of Bush was/is pretty insane and waaayyyy over the top). Of course, I don't live there...I'll be working on Inaug Day (gotta work one last Inaug before Obama turns it into a National Holiday!!!). Kidding - sort of.
July 2003 - Honeymoon at The Westin
July 2004 - Glenmar, Gifft Hill
July 2005 - Arco Iris, Fish Bay
December 2007 - Dreamcatcher, GCB
July 2008 - Ellison Villa, VGE
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

SJfromNJ wrote:I'm saving some narcotics for that day. Mabye I can sleep through it! :wink:
C'mon man...It's hysterical. I mean, 'historical'. You must be in front of a TV, somehow, someway in so as not to miss history unfolding before your very eyes!

I am SHOCKED that Bruce will be performing. :roll:

Think Sean Penn gets a front row seat (right next to Hugo Chavez!)?

Kidding folks...again - sort of.
July 2003 - Honeymoon at The Westin
July 2004 - Glenmar, Gifft Hill
July 2005 - Arco Iris, Fish Bay
December 2007 - Dreamcatcher, GCB
July 2008 - Ellison Villa, VGE
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I cannot believe how crazy that's going to be. I worked the inauguration in 1997, and we had no trouble getting around town. Yeah, it was the most crowded I have ever seen DC (and I used to go on all my 3-day weekends when it was a five-hour drive), but the Metro wasn't too busy. This sounds awful.

But, it is history. I definitely want to see all the pictures. I don't get HBO, so I will miss all the televised festivities (remember when they used to be on CSPAN for free?!?).
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Just got another alert from WMATA:

'Yes we can’ travel by Metro on Inauguration Day Video offers tips for safe and efficient travel

While President-elect Barack Obama did not approve the message, he appears in Metro’s latest video that offers a few hints to make travel by Metro as safe and smooth as possible on Inauguration Day.

With cameo appearances by Vice President-elect Joe Biden, President George W. Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney, First Lady Laura Bush and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, to name a few, the video reminds riders that everyone needs a farecard to travel by Metro and the best bet is to get a SmarTrip card or Metro farecard early to avoid lines at ticket machines on Inauguration Day.

The video also asks riders to stay clear of train doors and visit Metro’s Web site at http://www.wmata.com/inauguration for information about traveling by Metro on Inauguration Day.

The video can be viewed at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzpIXJBxMvw.

Metro offers special e-alerts, dedicated to the Inauguration.

Individuals are encouraged to sign up at http://www.wmata.com/inauguration.

E-alerts will be issued when Metro has news relating to service throughout Inauguration weekend.

###
*Another fine scatterbrained production
mcpenguin5

Post by mcpenguin5 »

RickG wrote:The whole Virginia bridge closure is a bit much. I'm planning on walking in across Memorial Bridge if Metro is too insane. I'm planning on parking in my garage at Courthouse in Arlington unless traffic is tres weird.

Cheers, RickG
I don't know if youi are aware that they are going to prohibit even pedestrians on the closed bridges. Walking over may not be possible. The Washinton Post did a story on this a couple of days ago.

McPenguin5
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

Maybe there will be a CSI or Monk marathon running that day. :roll:
aroobagirl

Post by aroobagirl »

Latest information is that in response to Virginians feeling disenfranchised due to bridge closings, they may be opening the 14th Street Bridge to pedestrian traffic. It was already announced that the Memorial Bridge will be open to pedestrian traffic.
I work at the Washington Navy Yard so we are getting regular updates.