Reaching out to any forum friends who live near Capitol Hill

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

DC...good luck next week! Stay warm and safe. Hope you can share some of your pictures with us. Wave at all the cameras. We'll be watching for you. :D
When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

DC - I hope you find a place to stay. This thread is "interesting" to say the least, but I don't see anyone helping you out with your request. I look forward to seeing your photos very much!
DCphoto

Post by DCphoto »

Chet offered, but things are changing really quick with security. I will be leaving for Washington at 11:00 pm the night before and camping out in the car. I then make my way to the capitol around 2:30 in the morning. It is going to be a very long day for me. I also will have to do a ball that night as well. I estimate I will be up for over 24 hours. I have bought all new weather gear and hopefully it will be enough. Can't say enough about underarmor, expensive stuff but it does work! I will take a photo of me infront of the Capitol to show I dressed for the cold.

Sandy
Terry

Post by Terry »

After watching the "Obama Express" on CNN today, it is a total build up to the historic event. You being a photographer for this is amazing for you. Be safe and keep us all posted when time allows.

P.S. Get some sleep in between things. :lol:
Pia

Post by Pia »

Stay warm - can't wait to see your photos - what an experience for you I wish I could be there but I guess I will have to watch in 80 degree heat :wink:

I have watched the Obama Express today also - sooooo exciting :)

Good luck - can't wait to see your wonderful work as I said

Pia
brenda

Post by brenda »

Sounds like it will be a very long day but worth it! I'll be thinking about you. Talk to you soon.
Going "home" again October 26th!
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

SJfromNJ wrote:Gina, I could not agree more with your observation about the press and the Bush administration. I now believe this is learned behavior from some of those who represent us in congress. I have been watching a lot of CSPAN lately and it is amazing how much time some folks in congress spend blaming the Bush administration about the laws THEY wrote! The people of Mass. should be embarrassed by Barney Frank. The first amendment is a powerful tool because most people believe what they hear from the press. At least President Bush admits to making mistakes. It takes character and strength to admit you made mistakes. Barney Frank just points the finger at others for his mistakes. He has 10 excuses for all his mistakes and none are his fault.
And BTW...I'm through paying taxes (kidding, IRS). If Barack Obama's nominee for Secretary of Treasury doesn't have to pay, why should I?

If I DON'T pay my taxes, well maybe one day I can be in charge of all tax revenues!

What a lesson for the kids.
July 2003 - Honeymoon at The Westin
July 2004 - Glenmar, Gifft Hill
July 2005 - Arco Iris, Fish Bay
December 2007 - Dreamcatcher, GCB
July 2008 - Ellison Villa, VGE
Terry

Post by Terry »

....always reactive statements from a few in a very proactive time of history.
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

Terry wrote:....always reactive statements from a few in a very proactive time of history.
See Terry...It is a practive time for you. A transformative time for you. A time for you to rejoice in all things liberal and "progressive".

I guess I don't understand why only one POV is accepted here. Others who share my viewpoint have accepted that, but I have not. I don't know why it is okay to post pictures of a President Bush crapper (which I actually found funny, because I have a sense of humor about these things), but to say anything even remotely critical about the Messiah is totally regarded as an off-color remark here. Very strange.

I will say again - no president in our history has been trashed like the current president. Nobody. And all he has done has been to keep us safe for 7 years, after every terror expert in the world thought that feat to be impossible.

Barack Obama has much larger shoes to fill than you all think - and I suspect that will become evident soon.

And there is nothing "proactive" here from a policy standpoint (and I could frankly care less about the pigmentation of his skin)...His policies have been tried before by Jimmy Carter, and they failed miserably. They will fail again. And all we will get out of it is a worthless dollar, inflation through the roof, and entitlement programs that will make FDR and LBJ look like Barry Goldwater.

If in the future you do not wish to read conservatives' opinions on a particular thread, maybe that should be spelled out in the thread subject.
California Girl

soxfan22 wrote:I guess I don't understand why only one POV is accepted here. Others who share my viewpoint have accepted that, but I have not.
Often times, it's not what a person says, but how they say it that others find offensive. Regardless of party affiliations, I find sarcastic, mean tempered remarks about our President, or President-to-be, out-of-line. It's great that we live in America so you can't be dragged from your home and hanged for making remarks such as some that have been made. Not only by you, Soxfan, but others as well.
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

That's fine CG...But how is posting your picture any different? And again, saying that I think it's wrong that the potential Secretary of the Treasury didn't pay his taxes for four years seems completely legitimate. I didn't call Obama names, or say he is a disgrace, or disparage him personally other than to question the judgement of naming such a man to that post - which at this time might be his most important appointment.

Again, it really just seems that any remark that is unflattering towards the Pres-Elect is deemed negative in tone.

What remarks have I made that would neccessitate me being "dragged from my home and hanged"?
California Girl

soxfan22 wrote:That's fine CG...But how is posting your picture any different?
Ok. I stand corrected. I knew I should have kept my mouth shut.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I have purposely stayed out of this discussion but I am so shocked at what I just read, I have to respond. I apologize for fueling the fire on this debate, but I just have to respnd.

What remarks have I made that would neccessitate me being "dragged from my home and hanged"?
Whether it was your intention or not, this is probably one of the most racist comments I have read from you.
You also called President-elect Obama the Messiah. Another offensive comment from those that have deep Christian faith.

It seems as though you are just looking to get people riled up and that is just sad. Passive agressive comments are agressive just the same.
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

Xislandgirl wrote:I have purposely stayed out of this discussion but I am so shocked at what I just read, I have to respond. I apologize for fueling the fire on this debate, but I just have to respnd.

Whether it was your intention or not, this is probably one of the most racist comments I have read from you.
You also called President-elect Obama the Messiah. Another offensive comment from those that have deep Christian faith.

It seems as though you are just looking to get people riled up and that is just sad. Passive agressive comments are agressive just the same.
X - I did not author that remark, no that was your friend CG...

Here's her comment directed at me:
It's great that we live in America so you can't be dragged from your home and hanged for making remarks such as some that have been made. Not only by you, Soxfan, but others as well.
Again, this is probably the 2nd or 3rd time I have been called a racist on this forum. Can you please read what I was responding to before you make an outlandish assertion?
DCphoto

Post by DCphoto »

How did my thread turn into this, all I was doing was asking for help!
Please stop the fighting, we are at a new time for our country to come together. Sox you only come out of the wood work when you feel like spreading hate. Do you ever have anything possitive to say?

Just stop it already.

Sandy