99 and Company 2013

Travel discussion for St. John
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Re: 99 and Company 2013

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

I have enjoyed your reports SO MUCH. THANK YOU for sharing!!!!!!
sherban

Post by sherban »

Thanks so much for posting your trip reports and photos, I really enjoyed your writing style, humor, and appreciate your generosity to share it with us.

Back to Cape Ann....I lived on Cape Ann from 1973-1980...a wonderful place to go back to...enjoy it!

Cheers!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Thank you SO much, for taking the time to post from the island! I enjoyed every (ok almost every) word. Hope you had an easy travel day!
cliffnchristi

Post by cliffnchristi »

Saw your sandscit this morning. Enjoyed your reports. Hope you had an uneventful trip home. 38 days til our 4th trip!!!!
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

99 -
Not sure who hates "99 OUT" more, you or me? I've loved reading your story. Thanks for taking me along on this trip! I loved every minute of it!
TrvlJohn

Post by TrvlJohn »

Thanks for all your reports. It makes the waiting bearable.

-John
Leap, and the net will appear.
- John Burroughs
toni

Post by toni »

Thanks so much for the travelogue :)

We stayed in Gallows our first trip back in '95? '96? one of those two years, and it was beautiful then and looks beautiful now. Love those views and the sunsets and.... and.....

I second Jakes and La Plancha, great food at both. Haven't ever eaten at ZoZo's in all our visits, so glad to read that maybe I'm not missing anything.

Have to try Gibney and eating at Caneel sometime. We've parked there for Honeymoon when they didn't charge parking, but never wandered into their restaurants. And it's silly, but the gate at Gibney intimidates me....read too many old stories about somebody hollering at beach goers....
Courage!

Really nice TR, wish I had a trip planned for this year :(
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I somehow didn't realize that this was A. a live report and B. a continuing report :oops: so I have just caught up.
We also love Gallows and have frequently added a few nights after a villa stay, just to chill and hang out at the property. My husband loves the easy access to town and often goes bar hopping while I lounge at the pool.
This year we are doing a week at a villa followed by a week at Gallows. I'm not 100% sure I will want to be there for a week but I'm going to give it a whirl.
Have to say, I've never bothered to do any cooking in a Gallows unit but I suppose that will change this year.

Thanks for the great report!
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Mary Beth, I don't think you'd want to cook in 15C. It's not very well appointed. It's our favorite because of the views and location- not the appointments. I never cook on vacation and rarely in real life. It's just best that way. There are far better units that are well equipped for cooking and with higher quality appliances. 9C and 8D among them. Views are still great. Best to ask about specifics like that when booking. Jules
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Sherban, I recall you saying you lived on Cape Ann in the past. It is really special. Anytime you head back this way please let us know- we'd love to have you visit us in Rockport!

Thank you so much for the nice comments everyone. You all know how painful re-entry is so I won't elaborate.

Final thoughts:

Gallows is in my heart. It would not be ideal for lots of you St. John lovers but for us it is perfect. I feel like Mask (the 20 year old resident cat my kids grew up with) is mine to the extent that any cat ever belongs to anyone. I love Anna and Angel and all the staff. Love them.

If I ever,ever,ever say that we are flying American Airlines because they faked us out early on and pretended like they were going to get us to our destination at a reasonable time for a reasonable price.....SLAP me. Maybe a bunch of us should band together and slap THEM with a Bait and Switch scheme. Just wait for Jet Blue to announce a direct flight. They will. Done with American Airlines.

Go to Caneel in the morning. Tell the guard that you are visiting either the main beach or Honeymoon. Put your chairs and cooler back in the car but keep your snorkel gear and then have lunch. After lunch walk to the right end of the main beach and snorkel around the point. If you need to rest on the beach there, do it but do not sit in the resort's chairs. Then continue to the right to the next beach which is where you will always see turtles and conch. If you are not tired continue around the next point where the coral gets very beautiful. It is a very long swim so make sure it is sensible. We love it. Be respectful if you are not guests and keep your voices down. Shouters can ruin the vibe for everybody.

Vie's has stepped it up. The beach has some new furniture and they've raked out some nice spaces under trees. Beautiful snorkeling to the right. She's no longer a secret so you had better get there early. They will let you put your lunch order in early, go to the beach then it will be ready at the appointed
time.

I didn't love Fatty Crab. I had really looked forward to it based on the reviews but I have to say the music was so unappealing that I had trouble thinking about the food. Together with the road noise and the in your face lousy music the food was no where near good enough to consider a second visit. The check for what we ate, which was not great, or even that good sealed the deal. Seems to me they are trying to be a scene rather than a consistent quality dining experience. Just not my cuppa tea.

Rhumblines kills it again. Love Dillon and the service and food and atmosphere is all we hope for. We just love it.

Read Game of Thrones, then watch it.

That's about it. Love to you all. Until next time. J
LynnieGirl

Post by LynnieGirl »

99, I can't tell you how much I enjoyed "taking" this trip with you, I'm sad that it is over. I only hope that my trip report will be half as entertaining, enjoyable and vivid as yours!
Just another day for you, you and me in Paradise...

~Tammy
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

I promise I will go away soon- just having some withdrawl issues. Feel free to put me on ignore.

A few last pics and a bump for my brother who,in a few weeks, is taking his third trip to the island but first without us... :( He won't be alone though which makes me happy. Get yourself logged in Don and jump in the water. Lots of Battery Hill fans here, in fact I bet you'll find someone who has stayed in your very unit.

Westin crash and lousy pedi

Good bye for now!

mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Oh, geez....keep em coming! You're helping me with MY withdrawal!
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

I have never been to the Westin. Hmmmmm...... :wink:
MargaritaDee

Post by MargaritaDee »

Thank you for taking the time and writing such a great posts! I have my Feet, Fins and Four Wheel drive book out and I am taking notes regarding your adventure. There is so much we have not done on the Island that I love reading posts and getting new ideas for our trip in June. I am pretty sure I shed a tear for you on your last day.... love going, but hate leaving. I am pretty certain I leave a little piece of my heart each time we leave. Thanks again!
May you always have a shell in your pocket and sand in your shoes...
If I could just figure out the damn ticker...St. John Vacation June 20-July 5, 2014!