Most Overrated / Most Underrated

Travel discussion for St. John
Jo Ann - VA

Post by Jo Ann - VA »

OMG and we are taking 3 newbies with us this year! I am really starting to regret it after reading this thread and a few others. We've got 2 jeeps so that should help.
Jo Ann
Always planning the next vacation...
Captain John

Post by Captain John »

Jo Ann - VA wrote:OMG and we are taking 3 newbies with us this year! I am really starting to regret it after reading this thread and a few others. We've got 2 jeeps so that should help.
RickG has the best advise about traveling with others.. Tell them Rick!
Captain John

"I live the life I love and I love the life I live"
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

LysaC-
Couldn't agree more. Sometimes it's just added stress. Another for instance; We went down with a couple last April, and had the time of our lives! We all got along just fine, and loved every second of the trip. Except the husband, a best friend of mine for @15-20 years who actually introduced me to STJ, wouldn't stop smoking in the non-smoking villa. It drove me crazy. We're still the best of friends, but I hate to be remembered as someone who acted like an angry father, as I constantly asked/told him to stop smoking inside. :evil:
Pip-
It's almost always a challenge going to STJ with others, but you just had a string of bad luck, if you ask me, and that's a collossal shame. You're bound to get past it! :wink:
Bug-
You're the bomb. Can't wait to see you at the concert. Amy & I have decided to wait 'til the fall, stay a week at a Maho camp alone, then meet up with another couple for the second week in a groovy villa ,Sago Palms.
My best to the hubby, and
Smiles-
MJ
Ms.Montana

Post by Ms.Montana »

OVER RATED: Sweet Plantains - they charge $8 for a split plate! WOW! They served us a curry dish we did not order - then told us about it after we finished it. Didn't get the dish we wanted so not impressed with the $$$$ food. Didn't offer to made some sort of adjustment on the bill - complimentary dessert or appetizer would have been nice and would have patched things up. Bad experience, expensive for what you get - won't go back or recommend.

UNDER RATED: Going on a day sail (we went with LONG DISTANCE) around Coral Bay. You don't hear much about day sails here - more about going to the BVI's. Fabulous snorkeling.
Fowst

Post by Fowst »

After reading all 6 pages, I'm going to skip Uncle Joe's and remember to hit Tamarind.

Underrated: Hiking the Reef Bay Trail. Limin' Coconuts (painkillers, while tasty, get way more pub.)

Overrated: SNUBA. Duty-free savings in STT.
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

mahojim wrote: Pip-
It's almost always a challenge going to STJ with others, but you just had a string of bad luck, if you ask me, and that's a collossal shame. You're bound to get past it! :wink:
But...we've vacationed with them 4 of the last 5 years and they come for thanksgiving. They're our best friends on Earth and vacationing without them is odd. Like I said, once I have the child with us, she and I will be able to don eye patches and head out. Mom can come along or enjoy what's likely to be her first moments of peace after thing 2 comes.
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Overrated:
Woody's
High-season

Underrated:
(Since Pia has reminded me...) Buying veggies directly from Josephine
The East End
Chet

Post by Chet »

Overrated:
Omar
Earthquakes

Underrated:
Omar
Earthquakes

:twisted:
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
jmq

Post by jmq »

Overrated
- food planning, food shopping, extensive meal prep, cooking and clean up while on vacation
- how difficult the walk up from Salt Pond is

Underrated
- being able to just walk to a beach or a bay for swimming, snorkeling, or chillin’
- how nice the people of the BVI are
- Ting
- the Fish n Chips at Shipwreck
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
MLS

Post by MLS »

High Tide, whom I think had the best conch fritters on STJ, I thought had closed.
Please tell me it is, indeed, open.

Shipwreck Landing is overrated, maybe the worse conch fritters on STJ. Hate the cockroaches every time.

No way can Maho ever be overrated now. Maybe when the Puerto Rican armada of motorboats used to lash thenselves together close to shore, but not now. Even the beach and parking is better.

AC in villas and cars is overrated!

Hercules pates, the perfect beach food, are underrated.
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

hightide was open when i was there in january.
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

Pip - Sounds like you really need to spring for a nicer villa and leave the 'friends' at home.
overman

Post by overman »

after the beating it's taking here i have to say underrated is skinny's...i don't forget the stuff that made me fall in love with stj and my first time in the early 90's i couldn't believe how cool it was that a coupla guys just threw up a tarp and started a pub, and i don't think it's changed much since then including a 'gasp' stinky shitter...it is perfectly basic and has not felt the need to change one bit for the foofy crowd...i for one hope it stays stinky so the in crowd crosses it off their to-do list.

overrated: the foofy crowd
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

Great topic! This should really help people plan their trips!!

Overrated:
Shipwreck Landing; specifically the fish and chips
smoothie stand
Skinny Legs (went the first time and haven’t been back)
Shopping: don’t care to shop on vacation

Underrated:

Jost bubbling pool
Drunk Bay
Trunk Bay--we don’t think it is “too” crowded and it is amazing! But I do check the cruise ship schedule so that we don’t go on the most crowded days.

Rated right:

Lion in Da Sun
Waterlemon
Ram's Head Hike

PINANALE: Over Rated: St John.

I think I need to be reborn or something for St John. 2 bad trips in a row will do that to you. Especially when the build up and planning is so much fun. Then you get there and your house is broken, your bar is closed and the weather sucks. And your friends are so beaten down that they don't want to do any exploring.
That is so sad. I agree; ditch the baggage!! And, yes, find a nice place to stay even if it means spending just a little more. Where are you staying during your next trip??

This was on someone's list of overrated: I really find these important:
  • view
    hot tub/pool
    washer/dryer
    bringing a cooler
Fowst: you didn’t like SNUBA?? we liked doing it but we didn’t see much. I would do it again just loved the feeling.
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

RickG wrote:Over-rated:
- megamillion villa$
- air conditioning, washer, dryer
- pool & hottub
- TV & cable
- electricity
- hot water
- Zozo's
- high-season
- hurricane risks