What are you reading?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Was Bikini Season good?
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
AH

Post by AH »

Marcia-To be honest it was sort of ho-hum. It has some humorous moments but I was happy to be done with it.
AH
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

AH wrote:Marcia-To be honest it was sort of ho-hum. It has some humorous moments but I was happy to be done with it.
AH
So noted, thanks.
Just started Star Island today. Decided to go with something slightly lighter. So far, it's excellent. The one character, the dude with a weed whacker for a hand, is it my imagination or has Hiaasen put him in his books before?
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Marcia, Star Island has at least two, maybe three recurring characters from other Hiassen books.

On the way to STJ I read "Dishwasher," just OK. I also read about half of "Concierge Confidential," some of it is gossip but there is some really excellent advice in that book on how to get what you want in a wise and respectful way in various service scenarios.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

liamsaunt wrote:Marcia, Star Island has at least two, maybe three recurring characters from other Hiassen books.
Phew! I'm not losing it. :)

Dishwasher=great airplane book (especially if you get the upgrade!)

Keep us posted on your readings, Becky, while you bask in the warmth of STJ.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Laura T

Post by Laura T »

Okay, so finished Sarah's Key. Ended up being quite disappointed.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first third/half. Two inter-twining stories...one in 1942 France and one in 2002 France. The stories were interesting and wove together well. However, once it was revealed how the stories were linked, the book completely fell apart for me. I thought the narrator was too predictable and ridiculously obsessed.

Additionally, the author wove in "secrets" that anyone could see a mile away (and in fact, I thought it was a bit condescending that the author would not think the reader could guess these secrets).

Enjoyed the historical fiction aspect and learning a bit about history, but...
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

The Spice Necklace, I'm itching to try some of the recipies as well.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I'm only posting to get the number of replies off 666! Me? Superstitious? Nahhhhh! :lol:
STTlover

Post by STTlover »

Liamsaunt- I would be interested in what you thought about "Someone Knows My Name". I've been eying it for weeks, but haven't committed to it yet.

My husband bought me a color Nook for Christmas and I've been averaging a book a week.

Some favorites so far:
Big Stone Gap
Island Beneath the Sea
Tea Rose
The Heretics Daughter
canucknyc

Post by canucknyc »

STTlover wrote:Liamsaunt- I would be interested in what you thought about "Someone Knows My Name". I've been eying it for weeks, but haven't committed to it yet.
I'm not Liamsaunt, but I loved, loved, loved this book. So much so that now when I read a book I like, I still find myself thinking, "Good, but it's no Someone Knows My Name" (or The Book of Negroes as it's called here).
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

canucknyc wrote:
STTlover wrote:Liamsaunt- I would be interested in what you thought about "Someone Knows My Name". I've been eying it for weeks, but haven't committed to it yet.
I'm not Liamsaunt, but I loved, loved, loved this book. So much so that now when I read a book I like, I still find myself thinking, "Good, but it's no Someone Knows My Name" (or The Book of Negroes as it's called here).
Phew, I have a lot of books on my "shelves" now...just downloaded Someone Knows My Name

Sounds very good.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

AH

Post by AH »

Finished "Star Island" by Carl Hiaasen yesterday. While I enjoyed the book I am ready to read something totally different now. Not sure what it is about Hiaasen's books but while I like them I never want to read two in a row. In fact I will probably not want to read another one for a couple months. Not sure why.
AH
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

If you like the idea of a Hiassen book but think he lacks humor (like I do), try a Tim Dorsey book.

Same settings, same quirk-type characters, same making fun of the people we are and the world we live in BUT totally insane.

Like Hiassen on crack. And acid.

Start at the beginning of the series cuz of course the first ones are best :).
AH

Post by AH »

LysaC wrote:... try a Tim Dorsey book.

Start at the beginning of the series cuz of course the first ones are best :).
LysaC,

Why is that usually the case?

Thanks for the recommendation. Will give Dorey a try as soon as I finish the books I have on my "to read next" list.

AH
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line