What are you reading?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

AH wrote:
liamsaunt wrote:

Other recents: Into the Wild. I didn't think Krakauer would be able to convince me that the boy wasn't mentally ill, but he did. Horrible, sad.

I agree! I also felt very sad after reading this one.
AH
Me too.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I am 1/3 into The Tiger. It is a non-fiction book about a region of far western Russia where wild tigers are a real danger to humans. So far it is fascinating.
jaq w

Post by jaq w »

Hurricanes & Hangovers and other tall tales and loose lies from the coconut telegraph by Miss Mermaid
AH

Post by AH »

jaq w wrote:Hurricanes & Hangovers and other tall tales and loose lies from the coconut telegraph by Miss Mermaid
jaq w,
I purchased this book awhile ago but haven't read it yet. What did you think?
AH
AH

Post by AH »

This week I read "Hearts In Atlantis by Stephen King and 'The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted' by Elizabeth Berg.
AH
Laura T

Post by Laura T »

Just got through reading Atonement. I found the book at many times to be slow and boring...just hard to get through. While the writing was very good, I think (for me) got in the way of the story - too much descriptive language and not enough story at times.

About half-way through Sarah's Key. LOVE IT.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Started Mennonite in a Little Black Dress while crammed into the commuter train like a lemming this morning. Got some strange looks when I burst out laughing while reading the conversation with her mother about cousin Waldemar and his tractor. I can tell that I am going to like this book.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

liamsaunt wrote:Started Mennonite in a Little Black Dress while crammed into the commuter train like a lemming this morning. Got some strange looks when I burst out laughing while reading the conversation with her mother about cousin Waldemar and his tractor. I can tell that I am going to like this book.
While I am far from Mennonite, so many things in that book reminded me of my childhood and yes, I also laughed out loud. Did you get to the "lunch of shame" yet?

There are several other things in her childhood that are so similar to mine that I feel she had to have grown up in Central PA. (she didn't)

I think it was Marcia that I shared a few laughs related to this book a while back.

I am re-reading Adrift of on a Sea of Blue Light. I just finished The Tiger (can't remember the author's name) about a man-eating tiger in Far East Russia. It was fascinating. (Non-fiction)
AH

Post by AH »

Read “We Are All Welcome Here" by Elizabeth Berg. I really enjoy her books.
AH
bubblybrenda

Post by bubblybrenda »

"Life in the World Unseen" authored by Anthony Borgia who channeled Monsignor Robert Hugh Benson.

For me, it's a real "feel good" story about what it's like when when the spirit leaves the physical body, where the spirit goes and what it's like "up there".

For a period after my Mom died 4 years ago I was in limbo questioning everything I had always believed about death. This book (and others like it) have helped me to accept that death is not the end.
~Brenda~
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Here is what I bought to read on vacation:
Carl Hiassen: skinny dip
Paul Harding: Tinkers
Allison Hoover Bartlett: The Man who Loved Books too Much
Sandra Rodriquez Barron: Stay with Me (though this one sounds depressing so I might not bring it).

I also loaded stuff onto my ipad for nighttime reading:
The Evolution of Bruno Littlemore, Benjamin Hale
Carl Hiassen: Double Whammy
The Last Child, John Hart

I'll report back post-trip
Someone Knows my Name, Lawrence Hill
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Just now finished Dragon Tattoo; I liked it. I'm not sure I like reading on the Kindle app for my ipad, though. I really like to know what page I'm on, which chapter I'm on (how many pages left in the chapter), etc...It doesn't really help me to see that I am some % of the way through a book.

Anywhoooooo, I did enjoy it and have already purchased the next in the series.

Yes, PA Girl, that was me with whom you were sharing laughter over Mennonite. I really enjoyed that book!

Becky, you can't go wrong with Hiassen books. You'll probably want to avoid reading them back to back though...Can't wait to hear reviews on the other books you are taking with you.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Marcia (Mrs. Pete) wrote:Just now finished Dragon Tattoo; I liked it. I'm not sure I like reading on the Kindle app for my ipad, though. I really like to know what page I'm on, which chapter I'm on (how many pages left in the chapter), etc...It doesn't really help me to see that I am some % of the way through a book.

Anywhoooooo, I did enjoy it and have already purchased the next in the series.

Yes, PA Girl, that was me with whom you were sharing laughter over Mennonite. I really enjoyed that book!

Becky, you can't go wrong with Hiassen books. You'll probably want to avoid reading them back to back though...Can't wait to hear reviews on the other books you are taking with you.
The second and third Dragon books are better then the first.

I have two Hiassen books on my table right now, my first time reading him.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Really? On the next of the series being better? I was double clutching on the concept of doing them back to back. To heck with that, I'll dive in tomorrow on the next one.

PA girl, you will very much enjoy the quirkiness of Haissen.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
AH

Post by AH »

Finished "Bikini Season" by Sheila Roberts last night. Started Carl Hiaasen's newest book "Star Island". I agree with Marcia. While I really enjoy Hiaasen's humor I never read two of his books in a row.
AH